Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 82 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

A warning about backyard experiments

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
A warning about backyard experiments

Unread postAuthor: evilvet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:54 am

I'm sure this is not news to most members; home brew chemistry is best left to the professionals. In a tangential vein lately I have noticed a few posts that indicate some of the younger members may be getting a little adventurous, home made scuba gear and a "modified" pressure cooker come to mind.

These guys were apparently "‘burying a cylinder or metal container of mixed chemicals" believed to be a mixture of ---deleted--- and ---deleted---.

I'm not a mod/god and make no claims about what is and is not appropriate to post but as someone with teenage kids who are starting to think about the whole "I saw it on the Internet, that'll be cool" I do worry about someone less experienced moving from pneumatic's to a petrol powered 10x.

:Link removed:

Thoughts / comments, particularly from the mods ??

Edited by jrrdw.

evilvet
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: A warning about backyard experiments

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:10 am

evilvet wrote:I'm not a mod/god and make no claims about what is and is not appropriate to post but as someone with teenage kids who are starting to think about the whole "I saw it on the Internet, that'll be cool" I do worry about someone less experienced moving from pneumatic's to a petrol powered 10x.

I think the forum policy is pretty clear.

Spud guns are inherently dangerous, even a simple spray-and-pray combustion can cause lethal injuries if used inappropriately, so where do you draw the line as to what is too much?

If I had teenage kids (I might, somewhere in the Ukraine, for all I know :D) I would much rather they get their information on this website where most of the members dispensing advice are fairly level headed and know what should and should not be done, as opposed to some youtube video comment.

If lines are overstepped the mods always intervene in what I think is an appropriate and measured manner.

As to the unfortunate incident in the article, it seems a bit unfair of the readers who commented suggesting this was a terrorist "own goal" as opposed to some youngsters trying to have a bit of fun.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:00 am

Its sad, but it what you get from playing with stuff you dont have an idea of what your doing, its a lesson maker

for example you dont go to an carpenter to fix your car why cause its not his job

jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:55 am

It seemed like a town named Cannons Creek was destined to come up on spudfiles.

Si vis pacem , constructum tartufoli ornamentum
irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:03 am

that place is only 5 min drive from me, i wasn't home last night when it exploded but when i got home i could hear and see call the cops.

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:16 am

Yea we get it. No need to hand out any dumb idea's. :roll:

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion