Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 87 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 84 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Film canister cannon igniter?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
  • Author

Film canister cannon igniter?

Unread postAuthor: -Matt- » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:44 am

I've been playing around with:thishttp://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/thermo2.html recently. My lighter piezos keep breaking because they're not relly durable. So I thought of using a capacitor to make a spark to ignite it. Would this circut work (without blowing the capacitor)?Image
(As you can see, I'm not really good at making a diagram, but the boxy thing that's not the battery is supposed to be a capacitor.) Also does a capacitor stop charging when it is full or does it just keep going until it explodes? If this would work, could I use a 50v capacitor with a low Farad rating or should I use something else?(something that isn't dangerous by being shocked by would be required.)

EDIT: Darn, the pic is screwed up when resized, click on it to see it right.

Unread postAuthor: carlbelcher » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:54 am

That won't work because you will only be charging the capacitor to the voltage of you battery. Besides 50 volts is no where near enough for a good spark. For a good spark you need more like 50,000 volts. You could try a taser (stun gun) but suggest a lantern spark igniter like this one.
There only like $5 at Wal-Mart

Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Dragonman586 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:41 am

Here is a cheap and effective ignitor that you can make from a disposeable camera. Read carefuly it deals with some high voltages. http://www.angelfire.com/80s/sixmhz/camera.html

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion