Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

X-Files mobile phone incident

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
X-Files mobile phone incident

Unread postAuthor: evilvet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:04 am

Here's one for the weird file !!!

Renovating the batcave, completely gutting it and starting again. CNC gets a new home, new workbench, etc etc.

Anyway...........

I was disconnecting some of the ceiling mounted fluorescent lights. I had my phone in my pocket when all of a sudden the camera started firing, flash going off in my pants pocket. I pulled the phone out to watch in amazement as all the apps opened randomly, emails opening, screen going crazy. I finished up having to take the battery out to kill the thing.

I presume the ballast discharging from the fluro was responsible, the light had only been turned off for maybe 30 seconds. Some sort of massive EMF happening and the phone did not like it.

Very spooky but I do have a whole new photo collection of the inside of my shorts pocket.

:idea:
Talk about power over WiFi !!

evilvet
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:24 am

Scary indeed! Could the changing light thing just be a coincidence though, phones do occasionally go insane for no apparent reason.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:52 am

Your being haunted!

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 am

Phones and laptops often go crazy from ESD. You can only shield them so much without blocking the touch screen, antenna, etc. Avoid polyester, nylon, or other synthetic clothing that can generate high voltage. Use a fabric softener in your laundry. It might not have been the light, but the warmer dry air near the ceiling combined with the physical motion. I used to kill digital meters in my work shirt pocket, until I figured out what was killing them. Get rid of the polyester shirt.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion