Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: matti » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 am

Would there be any interested people here to join a WhatsApp chat where we could chat about spudgun things using our mobilephones :?: I know we have chat here but its not very much used and mobilephone app would be more instant way to get some answers or chatting of non related things :D
One problem is personal security issues, because whatsapp will show phone numbers. If we would only allow trusted spudfiles users to join the chat, then i dont see a big problem in security?

Spudfiles chat app for phones would be super cool, but im not sure if we have any user that could make the app ?

Any ideas ?

If you dont know what is whatsapp:

"WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.

In addition to basic messaging WhatsApp users can create groups, send each other unlimited images, video and audio media messages."
  • 0

User avatar
matti
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:01 pm
Reputation: 9

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: sagthegreat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 am

matti wrote:Would there be any interested people here to join a WhatsApp chat where we could chat about spudgun things using our mobilephones :?: I know we have chat here but its not very much used and mobilephone app would be more instant way to get some answers or chatting of non related things :D
One problem is personal security issues, because whatsapp will show phone numbers. If we would only allow trusted spudfiles users to join the chat, then i dont see a big problem in security?

Spudfiles chat app for phones would be super cool, but im not sure if we have any user that could make the app ?

Any ideas ?

If you dont know what is whatsapp:

"WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.

In addition to basic messaging WhatsApp users can create groups, send each other unlimited images, video and audio media messages."

How bout a google hangout, its easier
  • 0


sagthegreat
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Leesburg
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:26 pm

I use the chatroom on my iPhone with no problem...
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: Labtecpower » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:03 pm

if only well-known members are added, i'm in.
I want to be more active on spudfiles, but other things are taking up time :roll:

Whatsapp seems like a quick and convenient way to stay in touch hehe
  • 0

"ñøw mÿ šįg šüçkś!"
User avatar
Labtecpower
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:38 am
Location: Herb Island
Reputation: 7

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 am

I'm in as well, I really want to get the old chat group together, i'm not a fan of the new chat at all.
  • 0

Yeah, it's that important.
User avatar
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 am
Country: Antarctica (aq)
Reputation: 0

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: Labtecpower » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:16 am

Group has been made, PM me your number with correct country codes if you want to join :)
  • 0

"ñøw mÿ šįg šüçkś!"
User avatar
Labtecpower
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:38 am
Location: Herb Island
Reputation: 7

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 am

I would be interested,

As a dumb american I need to ask - what's whatsapp? Just another 3rd party messaging service like Google Hangouts?
  • 0

User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am
Reputation: 9

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: matti » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 am

mobile chernobyl wrote:I would be interested,

As a dumb american I need to ask - what's whatsapp? Just another 3rd party messaging service like Google Hangouts?


Yes its a messagin service, has over 500 million users :wink:
  • 0

User avatar
matti
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:01 pm
Reputation: 9

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm

Maybe I'm a bit behind the times, but the smallest screen I currently own is a 17" laptop. ;)

How about just using a public jabber server?
  • 0

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Canada
Country: Poland (pl)
Reputation: 3

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: matti » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:00 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:Maybe I'm a bit behind the times, but the smallest screen I currently own is a 17" laptop. ;)

How about just using a public jabber server?


Well we have a WhatsApp group already, so I hope you can join our chat someday :D
  • 0

User avatar
matti
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:01 pm
Reputation: 9

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:07 pm

I mentioned a Jabber server earlier... A micro amazon EC2 instance could run the server quite fine and is cheap...

However, whatsapp seems to be a good solution for spudders with smart phones.
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:38 pm

mark.f wrote:I mentioned a Jabber server earlier... A micro amazon EC2 instance could run the server quite fine and is cheap...



Do explain... - Looks cool.

Everyone should list their intentions for what would make a good chat - I think for starters, having the old format chat back is a good benchmark.
  • 0

User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am
Reputation: 9

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: noname » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:Maybe I'm a bit behind the times, but the smallest screen I currently own is a 17" laptop. ;)

How about just using a public jabber server?


And I've got a flip phone from 2009! :D
The chat we have now works as a chat but it's just so easy to miss people. I'd say it's partly because we're pretty well scattered through different time zones, but even still...
  • 0

User avatar
noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2699
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 9

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 pm

I've joined.

I have a WhatsApp group with about 15 friends and it's a pretty good way of staying in touch and sharing whatever is on your mind/going on. See something interesting at the hardware store? Snap a pic and send it to the group.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Re: WhatsApp spudfiles chat ?

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 am

noname wrote:
SpudBlaster15 wrote:Maybe I'm a bit behind the times, but the smallest screen I currently own is a 17" laptop. ;)

How about just using a public jabber server?


And I've got a flip phone from 2009! :D
The chat we have now works as a chat but it's just so easy to miss people. I'd say it's partly because we're pretty well scattered through different time zones, but even still...

The chat we have now is quite frankly, terrible. I've a laundry list of grievances against it, especially the 10 second reply delay.
  • 0

Yeah, it's that important.
User avatar
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 am
Country: Antarctica (aq)
Reputation: 0

Next

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'