Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 51 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

quick question: do all chainsaws idle?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: pyromanic13 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 pm

yeah but there isn't going to much stress on this at all... hey don't know anything about these saws but if they are "ok" then this would be a very good deal http://cgi.ebay.com/Homelite-Gas-Chains ... dZViewItem

Movie dialogue: "The good die first."
Tom: "But most of us are morally ambiguous, which explains our random dying
patterns."

pyromanic13
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 pm

The main problem with Homelite saws are air leaks between the casings. They start up and run great until they warm up, then the cast aluminum casings warp and let air in then they run rough or not at all. Then people try to say "you need a coil", nope, it's a air leak that they don't know about. My friend has the biggest Homelite made, still runs great, he keeps the bolts snugged up. The auction your looking at is a good deal, but he said they have been sitting for a while, the carbs will need cleaned out if they don't start after fresh gas, mix-32:1, fresh spark plug or clean, points or clean them, and 3 good pulls of the starter cord. Ask him if the bottoms of the saws are in good shape, pitted up or not. If they are pitted, don't buy them, thats important.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:55 pm

A 2 stroke doesn't produce that much torque until it hits full throttle. Get the biggest, baddest saw you can find, and tune it up (new plug, clean carb, etc etc). Also, consider putting a better air filter on. I've worked on a couple of saws and they had the worst filters, they were like 1.5x1.5 inch squares of this tightly packed fiberglass like stuff.

I'm weird, I know it, you don't need to tell me.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:13 pm

I have a Yamaha GT80 with a 72cc 2 stroke engine, and I'm only 135lb. The bike itself isn't exactly light. I haven't really done much of any work on it, and the head gasket leaks. But, as it is, it has trouble getting going except on flat pavement with me revving it up good. Granted, I'm not used to such high RPMs, so I'm probably not giving it enough gas.
And yes, I plan to fix it myself, it's just that I got it last fall and didn't have time.

This is what it looks like. Mine is more rough looking though.
http://www.batescycle.com/img/bikes/yam_gt80.jpg

I'm weird, I know it, you don't need to tell me.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion