Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Compressed Air Motor

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 am

i think i might make one out of copper (will that work?). i might use two 12 gram co2 adaptors with some 1/8'' copper pipe to get the co2 to the motor and a ball valve to control the flow. i think ill use a ball barring for the ball and a bolt to push the ball up. then maybe a bushing that the ball barring sits on, it doesnt have to be a 100% seal doesnt it? it looks simple enough, i remember wanting to make one because i used to have an air hog, i almost kicked myself 4 years later for throwing it away.

there was a size of copper end cap that fit perfectly in another size of copper pipe, does anyone know that it was? i think it was 3/4'' end cap in a 1'' or 1.25' pipe, but i really dont remember.

will copper pipe stand up to the pressure?

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: shud_b_rite » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:35 am

HOLY MOLY. Meatballs our minds must be linked together or something because I was thinking about doing the exact same thing yesterday. That is why I posted that topic about liquid nitrogen.

I was planning on making a steam engine type motor to run on compressed air but I dont have the right equipment or tools. I would really like to see what you come up with if you ever build this. Good luck

Airbeds... so many different uses
shud_b_rite
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: meatballs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:57 pm

hi i did the exact same thing. used to have an air hogs airplane. loved it. then the wings broke for good after hitting its thousandth tree. i saw no use for it and threw it away. now i REALLY wish i didn't. No it doesn't have to be a perfect seal, and if you use a design similar to the diagram on page one of this topic, a small leak might be better than a perfect seal since it would compress air on the way back to the valve assembly at the top. not sure about that one, but i know it doesn't have to be a perfect seal. i've thought of the end cap idea, and a 3/4 inch pvc cap fits perfectly in 1 1/4 inch pipe (w/ o-rings) but thats the wrong material and sizes. i like the idea of an end cap though.
SpudBlaster15 what did you make your engine out of? i built one using that principle out of legos. hooked up to a vacuum cleaner it got to a maximum of 860 rpm (measured with a tachometer).

Also, does anyone know what presssure an air hogs airplane runs at?

meatballs
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:07 pm

mine hade a gauge, but it was just green, yellow, and red, but i was 10 years old and could pump it and the chamber was only about as thick as a 2 litter bottle, so my guess is 50-70psi, and it ran for about 45 seconds- a minute. Thats what i remember, it could have been longer. i remember i had two, one flew much faster than the other, but they had the same motor.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: meatballs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:15 pm

yeah, mine had the same gauge with min and max pressure measured. i still have the pump, and i suppose i might be able to get it hooked up to a gauge or something. i might try that. it would be a pain tho, since its not a standard sized thread or anything. I'd like to find out some easier way.

meatballs
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:12 pm

i dont remember what i was the threads/ fill valve was, but just use a hose and hose clamps, for 60 psi you really dont need threads.

hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: meatballs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:50 pm

good point, didn't think of that. i just want to get a psi valve on there so i can see what 'max' is in psi.

meatballs
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jon_89 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:38 am

do you think one of these could power a scooter (stupid)?

jon_89
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:43 am

The air hogs firestormer airplane runs at 80 psi (it says it on the back of the box)
Also, I found out that you can unscrew the engine from the tank and screw it onto a coke bottle. The threads are perfect and it has a perfect seal.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:44 am

jon_89 wrote:do you think one of these could power a scooter (stupid)?

It could power a car if you make it big enough ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:04 am

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: shud_b_rite » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:00 am

So someone that has got one of these motors or an air hog one. How long do you think it would go for on a 1.5L coke bottle at 80psi?

Airbeds... so many different uses
shud_b_rite
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: lukemc » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:08 am

i dont knw but i have an air hog one thats tank ia like .5 liter and it runs like a muinite and a half

"Those who are different change the world. Those who are the same keep it that way"
lukemc
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:19 pm

meatballs wrote:SpudBlaster15 what did you make your engine out of?

My engine was machined almost entirely on a lathe and a vertical mill using brass and steel stock.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: meatballs » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:37 pm

hmmm, well that wont work for me as i have neither a lathe nor steel and brass stock. that's truly brilliant to put an air hogs engine on a coke bottle, how long does it run like that? does anyone have an air hogs motor that they dont want/need? i might post something about that in the classifieds...

meatballs
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion