Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Americans about the Netherlands

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat May 19, 2007 5:39 pm

Brian the brain wrote:The only Americans we "know"are the moviestars.Most Dutchmen react to Americans as though they were celebrities.That's why we seem so friendly to American tourists, I think.

Most Americans ( to me) seem overly proud of their country.They seem to feel like they are the most important people in the world without knowing what the rest of the world is about.
An interviewer once asked Bruce Willis what he thought of Amsterdam,
He replied: "nice country" It's a city, hello!!!

I once had an argument with an American online, while playing Delta Force..He didn't want to team up with anybody other then Americans."Damb foreigners!!"
I asked him why he felt so superior as an American, he replied:"one word: H-Bomb!"
I answered: "One word: Vietnam"
He got pretty pissed.I just wanted to show him he has no reason to feel superior to somebody he doesn't know.

He was better at the game though...


It's called "Good Old American Pride", nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from. We love our country and will fight to the death defending it so our children will have a better tomorrow.
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Sat May 19, 2007 5:43 pm

jrrdw wrote:
Brian the brain wrote:The only Americans we "know"are the moviestars.Most Dutchmen react to Americans as though they were celebrities.That's why we seem so friendly to American tourists, I think.

Most Americans ( to me) seem overly proud of their country.They seem to feel like they are the most important people in the world without knowing what the rest of the world is about.
An interviewer once asked Bruce Willis what he thought of Amsterdam,
He replied: "nice country" It's a city, hello!!!

I once had an argument with an American online, while playing Delta Force..He didn't want to team up with anybody other then Americans."Damb foreigners!!"
I asked him why he felt so superior as an American, he replied:"one word: H-Bomb!"
I answered: "One word: Vietnam"
He got pretty pissed.I just wanted to show him he has no reason to feel superior to somebody he doesn't know.

He was better at the game though...


It's called "Good Old American Pride", nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from. We love our country and will fight to the death defending it so our children will have a better tomorrow.


Pride is one thing, but I'll be the first to admit, we have more than our share of idiots. I play counter-strike quite a bit and I'll admit that I'm more inclined to team up with an American but that's simply because I can understand them better. I have no problem playing with a Chinese, or Dutch, or Russian person, it's just I don't understand them and it makes it difficult. But yea, a lot of Americans can get pretty cocky.
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat May 19, 2007 6:29 pm

jrrdw wrote:If it wasn't for America's goverment, all the charity we give out ALL OVER THE WORLD, wouldn't get there! Imagine for one moment if we said to hell with giving all the help we do. What would happen to all those we feed, give medical care to, and protect? What would happen to those people?



There we go, good old American pride. You do know other countries(Like New Zealand) also have charities to feed the 3rd World coutries. Not everything goes through America. Even if it did, you guys can't be good at it, over 30years that its been a big deal in world politics billions have been sent to these countries, look at them today, AIDS has increased, same with deaths and there are more wars then ever down there. If you guys really want to make an impact on them, send troops down there, disarm their government put up a proper democratic government that doesn't wage wars and steal poverty money, then give all the money to them at the same time, not over periods of years or months where it gets fluttered away, And monitor them on the spending of their money.

I think it was if America doesn't spend its assigned($600Billion I think) money for the military and defence for 1week they would have enough to feed Africa for 3years.

You guys have a bigger military budget then our whole country lol :P
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat May 19, 2007 6:57 pm

jrrdw wrote:Twitch, you avoided my question entirely, and rambled on about something different -- What would happen to those people, if we stopped giving all the charity we give? You do realize all the charity comes from all us hard working Americans, don't you? Don't get me wrong, plenty others help others to, but we get unfairly slammedbecause we step up first to help. I find that very disturbing.

MrCrowley, you forgot to quote what i also said here "Don't get me wrong, plenty others help others to", no i don't think America is the only giving country. It's also unfair to blame us for other currupt goverments, Darfur for example, we give the money for the people who need it, the rebels and the goverment steel it form the needy, and if it wern't for the UN policy bullshit, we would have been in there allready. But because of other goverments (the currupt ones) crying to the UN about it not being fair we can kick thier ass at any time, we have to use diplomicy, and that is what keeps our hands tied, and stops us from going in and helping the defenceless.

Before i forget, Slugfoot -- "Complete bullshit. Go tell that to the Iraqi kids walking knee-deep in raw sewage."
Get your facts straight, 1) It's the insurgents who are causeing that, evertime we reconstruct something them assholes tare it up.
2) Saddam Husain was another one steeling from his people.
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat May 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Sorry I didn't see the 'Dont get me wrong part' and I didn't mean the governments are corrupt because of America, Im saying they are corrupt and giving third world countries money aint going to do anything when the government is as bent as George Michaels. I think its a waste of money and time trying to give these countries money when the government takes it all. Im saying the world neeeds to do something about it not just America but everyone.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat May 19, 2007 7:42 pm

No one has answered my question yet, what would happen to all those people. I guess it's fair to say, only god knows.
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Sat May 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Not supporting Saddam here but,what was Iraq like before Saddam was in power?The country was nothing,absolute nothing very poor economy and the country was on verge of being overthrown by guerilla forces and when Saddam come into power he gave the economy direction and used there resources and creating a good security force that gave the country stability-But still he fuked up and it's how the cookie crumbled.

Now America like many other countries do donate Aid to countries but there are a heap of countries that are in need of Aid or more Aid which do not receive it such as Cambodia,Vietnam,Cuba,Somalia,Rwanda although Aid is increasing in these countries there is no were near as much as needed as compared to the amount of Aid given to countries with something to offer back,like natural resources.

America loses a lot of conflicts they go into,such as Vietnam,Afghanistan,Somalia and more recently Iraq...The invasion and Occupying of a country DOESN'T work,all that is needed is to look back in history to see.Still they try and try again and it's only going to end the opposite of what they want it to the war(if you want to call it that)is going to be lost.



As for The Netherlands,I don't mind the place.Very flat so it's easy to ride a bike every were.My family is nearly all dutch background my mother not knowing how to speak English until she was 8.Ohh and I love Grolsch beer so much better then Hieneken.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
rna_duelers
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:07 am
Location: G-land Australia
Country: Australia (au)
Reputation: 1

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Sat May 19, 2007 8:36 pm

MrCrowley wrote: If you guys really want to make an impact on them, send troops down there, disarm their government put up a proper democratic government that doesn't wage wars and steal poverty money.


because that really worked well in iraq. :wink:

rna_duelers wrote:there are a heap of countries that are in need of Aid or more Aid which do not receive it such as Cambodia, Vietnam,Cuba,Somalia, Rwanda although Aid is increasing


we're not allowed to go to Cuba, export good sot cube, or anything.

how are we supposed to supply aid? as soon as Fidel Castro is gone, we can, but we can do nothing until he's gone.
  • 0

Persistence is a measure of faith in yourself
User avatar
schmanman
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:28 pm
Location: Michigan,U.S.A
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: goathunter » Sat May 19, 2007 8:54 pm

RNA, when did we lose Afghanistan?Last time I checked they had a functioning economy and government,still in its infancy of course, but it is not lost.The Taliban will always have a presence there but they will not have control.Vietnam was not lost either,we pulled out do to lack of where with all in the youth(our governing body nowdays :roll: ).Look at how we waged that war,we limited ourselves on how big of a bomb we could drop.I say shut the politicians up and let the military do its job.
Actually occupying a country does work,on average it takes 10yrs to stop insurgencies. We have a long way to go but its not lost.I will agree on Somalia, though.Clinton was blubbering idiot on that conflict,to busy chasing interns.
McCrowley,your absolutely right.That is the point of my parents mission work in Kenya.The corruption is so bad that Bush has pulled relief to them.My folks hope to teach Africans to think for themselves and build there own economy, not depend on handouts.Look at Europe after WW2,they built there economy cause they had debts to pay.If the US had given money the whole time,Europe would be as corrupt as Africa.The most valued things in life are those that you have to work the hardest for.
Some may say that we're arrogant(no more that the British from what I've seen) but hey we've built the leading world superpower in less time than it took most countries to unite there people groups.We have something to be proud of.Not saying being a jerk about it is excusable, but we do have a right to be proud.
And the Netherlands,never been there.But I think red light district,pot,and Amsterdam. Were everything that should be legal is illegal and the illegal is legal :D Or at least that's how my Instructor in JROTC described it.He lived there 3 yrs.
  • 0


goathunter
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:20 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat May 19, 2007 9:20 pm

Jeez, look how America is talked about by other non americans, but when world wide crap hits the fan, who do they call apon for help. America, thats who!
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Sat May 19, 2007 9:23 pm

You say that we have to get involved you say we have to stop getting involved, screw you!!!
it is our goal to spread democracy but its not easy we are a democracy so we can lose wars politically we'll do it when we feel like it if you won't do anything neither will we cause the rest of the world doesn't do crap, but your lazy @$$ adds to the lack support then we lose wars politically. Dang it this thread has gotten off topic look at the first post, our countries can argue this crap in online games, and other forums and stuff
So allow me take action and redirect this thread

HI I'm an American I don’t know much about the Netherlands, silly me I just guess that it’s probably a lot like the other European countries and consist of mostly Caucasian people and politically leans towards the socialist/liberal side of the political spectrum
  • 0


iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Sat May 19, 2007 9:38 pm

jrrdw wrote:
About the second world war, do you still live and speak freely in your native country? Thanks to us you do! Remember, we put ourselfs in a great depression fighting WWII. How was that getting paid for joining the fight?


We all went through The Great Depression. The Australians were going through Kokoda because a yank told us to. Our aussie commanders were leading us all the yank was doing was agreeing with them. We were pushing the japanese troops back and if it wasnt for nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki the Australians would of had to march right into Japan and we would have finished the war. The only reason America joined the war was because of Pearl Harbour.

The first WW you only joined because the british were having trouble. I still dont see why you say you rebuild what you destroy because Vietnam still has a major loss of jungle vegetation and the bit about not attacking civilians, what about Kim Phuck. She was hit with a heap of napalm from a napalm bomb and many others lost their lives during other bombings in Vietnam.
  • 0

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
User avatar
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:23 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: wannabie » Sat May 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Guys this is way off topic take your political fights someplace else if your really that serious about it make a thread about it :!: Jks
  • 0

User avatar
wannabie
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Australia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: goathunter » Sat May 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Kim Phuc was bombed by south Vietnamese pilots not US.You do realise that if not for the US both WW1 and 2 would have been lost.As much as I respect the fighting spirit of Australia you had not a chance in heck defeating Japan with conventional weapons.We decided against operation Downfall because of its heavy casualty toll 1.2 mil wounded and 267,000 fatalities(would have gone through had the atomic bomb not been created).And we didn't join WW1 cause the Brits were having trouble,the Germans were attacking our merchant ships.Well I've made my point so lets let this be.Back to the Netherlands :lol:
  • 0


goathunter
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:20 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Sat May 19, 2007 10:09 pm

@goathunter-If Vietnam was not a lost war then what was it?What is your basis of the 10Yr Average Occupation as the Vietnam war started in 1959 and ended in 1975 which is 16 years.As for Afghanistan is the war being won or lost?Sure isn't moving forward,it's getting to the stage of fighting a country not a military group.

Gota love the spellcheck :wink: .
  • 0

Image
User avatar
rna_duelers
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:07 am
Location: G-land Australia
Country: Australia (au)
Reputation: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'