Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 80 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Should I buy a new truck?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: turbohacker » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:10 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:

Well said.


For a mentally retarded person.

See, that is the kind of immature-ness we are talking about. And whats with you commenting on my spelling, you have stooped so low that you had to insult me, and that was the only thing you could find. You do know that this is an internet community where people talk about guns and the like, it is not a literature test, as long as your point goes off without too much confusion then the post is adequate -kapeesh?

EDIT: USE THE EDIT BUTTON PLEASE!!
also i am no longer going to argue with you.
Aruging on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, your still a retard 8)
  • 0

Last edited by turbohacker on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
turbohacker
Major
Major
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:34 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Cash68 wrote:Sorry, they DO sometimes happen as a result of poor handling. They DO sometimes happen as a result of poor braking. One time (a while ago, while driving a very small car loaded with lots of people) I rear ended a pickup who slammed on his brakes, and ended up hitting him at about 2-5mph. His truck was fine, but my hood got kinked. Had my car had marginally better brakes, I probably would have avoided the accident entirely. Had I been in a truck, we most certainly would have hit him at a faster speed, probably giving him whiplash, and injuring everybody in my vehicle. Brakes and handling HELP to avoid accidents in the first place. If you can't understand this, please cut your brake lines and remove your tie rods and go driving around.


OR, if you were keeping an adequate follow distance, you could have avoided this in ANY vehicle. In a truck keeping a 3-second distance between the car in front of him at 60 miles per hour, there are around 264 feet of distance between the two. That's more than adequate for proper driving. 108 feet to react and hit the brakes, (1 and 5/22<sup>nd</sup> seconds of reaction time... a slug, basically), and then the last 156 feet to brake for the worst truck you cited.

Further support for SpudBlaster15's point, although I'm not going to take sides here.
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Unread postAuthor: cash68 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:22 pm

turbohacker wrote:See, that is the kind of immature-ness we are talking about.


You mean like the kind where SpudBlaster kept talking about my thick skull and insulting my intelligence, but you ignored that part?

markfh11q wrote:
Cash68 wrote:Sorry, they DO sometimes happen as a result of poor handling. They DO sometimes happen as a result of poor braking. One time (a while ago, while driving a very small car loaded with lots of people) I rear ended a pickup who slammed on his brakes, and ended up hitting him at about 2-5mph. His truck was fine, but my hood got kinked. Had my car had marginally better brakes, I probably would have avoided the accident entirely. Had I been in a truck, we most certainly would have hit him at a faster speed, probably giving him whiplash, and injuring everybody in my vehicle. Brakes and handling HELP to avoid accidents in the first place. If you can't understand this, please cut your brake lines and remove your tie rods and go driving around.


OR, if you were keeping an adequate follow distance, you could have avoided this in ANY vehicle.


Thing is, I couldn't. I was paying attention. I was definitely far back from the truck in front of me. It was raining. The highway was under construction, so instead of 3 lanes, there were only 2, with ZERO shoulder or emergency pulloff room. I had 5 people in my 5 passenger small car. I was also driving in the city, where a 3 second following distance is unrealistic, yet I was staying extremely far back. He locked up his brakes, HARD, and and I hit mine immeadiatly. It didn't have ABS, so they locked, so I started pumping the pedal. We were going slower, slower, and slower, and then just BARELY hit the truck. Nobody was remotely hurt, but the car was damaged.

Had my car had SLIGHTLY BETTER BRAKES (or had it not had 5 people in it), there would have been no collision. I was not driving aggressively, nor was I not paying attention. It was simply the best I could possibly do, yet the CAR's BRAKING ABILITIES didn't stop it in time. With better brakes, it would never have happened.
  • 0

Last edited by cash68 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cash68
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:12 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:23 pm

cash68 wrote:I never said they're AT FAULT, I said they contribute. If you can't understand that vehicle performance can contribute to an accident, I don't know what to say other than you're a complete freakin moron.


You have got to be f*cking kidding me. How can you have possibly missed the statement "TRUCKS ARE LESS FORGIVING TO BAD DRIVERS, AND AS A RESULT ARE INVOLVED IN MORE ACCIDENTS" that I posted numerous times? You must be a freakin moron.

And how is STASTICAL INFORMATION FROM THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC AND SAFETY ADMINISTRATION 'opinion' based information?


That is not what I am referring to! Wow, you are an idiot. Your opinion is that these results are soley at fault of the vehicles themselves. My opinion is that these results are at fault of idiotic drivers. Your opinion is severely flawed, as vehicles do not drive themselves.

You are the one spreading lies, ignorance and bullshit around here pal. You've also said you wouldn't be posting in this thread anymore, yet you CONTINUE to break your own word. Do me a favor, and piss off. Go ride your bicycle and pretend you know what you're talking about somewhere else.


You have got to be kidding me. You are wrong, and cannot accept it. So instead, you put the blame on others. Can't you see the EVERYONE in this thread disagrees with you, and for good reason? Do this entire forum a favor, and take your incompetent ramblings somewhere else. We do not need to be subjected to morons like yourself.
  • 0

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Canada
Country: Poland (pl)
Reputation: 3

Unread postAuthor: SpudMonster » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:04 pm

cash68 wrote:Image


It's a real shame that you didn't have a greater following distance. Is it really that impossible to keep a 264 foot distance between your nose and the other car's bumper? Nobody said you had to go 60 in the rain. If you were driving 50 it would be a lot safer, and completely understandable. After all, you ARE in the city in the rain.

Remember, with the 3 second rule at 60 MPH, you have almost 1 1/4 seconds to hit the brakes. That is a LOT of time in an accident.
  • 0

User avatar
SpudMonster
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:54 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SpudMonster » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:27 pm

Alright cash, it's true that pickups and SUVs are more dangerous than 5 star crash rated vehicles. I agree. On that note, why don't we live in foam padded rooms and never move. God forbid we hurt ourselves, or, *shudder* EXPOSE OURSELVES TO RISK!

Pickups and SUVs are used as status symbols by some. That is also factual. However, does <a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/wierdoman11/IPLA%20Meet/20.jpg">THIS</a> look like a status symbol to you?

That truck sees use. Just last weekend it was used to haul a 55 gallon drum of lubricating oil. Kind of tough to do with a car.

I hate posers as much as the next guy. Every time I see a soccer mom drive her freshly waxed and detailed H2 I die a little bit inside. However, that does not mean don't like pickups or SUVs. I prefer them to cars. Why? Simply because it is nice to have the room inside. They are far more spacious inside than your average car, and that is a real plus in my book. I get claustrophobic in most normal cars.

Have you ever seen what is under the hood of a modern car? There is so much crap crammed in there you can;t even fit in a deck of cards... I can almost hide my 6'1 150 pound frame under the shut hood of that suburban. Imagine how much easier that makes driveway repairs.

Maybe this is a hard concept for your measured, t-squared mind to grasp, but there are actually people that exist in this world that do not share your exact opinion.


Also, your credibility was seriously damaged in the cannon contest with your post whoring. This topic isn't doing dick to increase our respect for you, rest assured.h
  • 0

User avatar
SpudMonster
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:54 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: ammosmoke » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:31 pm

I know I said I was done, but, really ROFL your car didn't have ABS? Its no WONDER. And that truck probably did, that you said braked "HARD". Especially in the rain, abs makes a huge difference. If your car had the exact same brakes, but with an abs system, you would have been just fine. All vehicle sold in the U.S. now have abs, and its been like that for about 10 or more years now.
  • 0

<img>http://www.speedtest.net/result/309559995.png</img>
User avatar
ammosmoke
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:57 am
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:46 pm

cash68 wrote:Thing is, I couldn't. I was paying attention. I was definitely far back from the truck in front of me. It was raining. The highway was under construction, so instead of 3 lanes, there were only 2, with ZERO shoulder or emergency pulloff room. I had 5 people in my 5 passenger small car. I was also driving in the city, where a 3 second following distance is unrealistic, yet I was staying extremely far back. He locked up his brakes, HARD, and and I hit mine immeadiatly. It didn't have ABS, so they locked, so I started pumping the pedal. We were going slower, slower, and slower, and then just BARELY hit the truck. Nobody was remotely hurt, but the car was damaged.

Had my car had SLIGHTLY BETTER BRAKES (or had it not had 5 people in it), there would have been no collision. I was not driving aggressively, nor was I not paying attention. It was simply the best I could possibly do, yet the CAR's BRAKING ABILITIES didn't stop it in time. With better brakes, it would never have happened.


I don't exactly get which side you're on. You've been going on and on about how trucks have worse braking abilities than do cars, yet in the situation you give us, you were out braked by a truck? Also, his truck was fine and yours was barely scratched up. Who won that fight?
  • 0

User avatar
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Texas
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Would my light-blue Ranger look like a macho status symbol SpudMonster? :D

Why would this thread be locked? It's in the off-topic section, and SO FAR there've been no serious insults or misbehaving. As long as we can all keep it that way we can go on bickering over this topic. So, I will start us off again!

Basically, what SpudBlaster15 is trying to say is that a truck isn't a screaming death-trap as long as it is driven by a responsible, reasonable, and safe individual. Problem is that there ARE people who buy trucks as a token to advance their reckless driving. After all, what sedan driver wouldn't let that soccer mom with the humongous H3 fly through a left turn without yielding? I believe the "soccer mom" example says a lot about the mentality of people who buy trucks for this reason.

But, what can I say? :? Just like you can't change someone's opinion, there's no changing the way other people drive. So, for the meantime, I'll grind my teeth as that asshole in the F-350 peels out in a left-turn in front of me on the green-light, and know that he's gonna be smeared all over the side of a tree someday if he continues. :twisted:

But, for everybody like him, there are countless others who drive their trucks with a sense of responsibility, and drive with safety and courteousness on their mind. So it's not too much of a problem, in my mind.
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Unread postAuthor: cash68 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:53 pm

SpudMonster wrote:
cash68 wrote:Image


It's a real shame that you didn't have a greater following distance. Is it really that impossible to keep a 264 foot distance between your nose and the other car's bumper? Nobody said you had to go 60 in the rain. If you were driving 50 it would be a lot safer, and completely understandable. After all, you ARE in the city in the rain.

Remember, with the 3 second rule at 60 MPH, you have almost 1 1/4 seconds to hit the brakes. That is a LOT of time in an accident.


I was going 35-40. The speed limit was 45. Apparently you have never been in an accident that you couldn't avoid. Lucky you.
  • 0


cash68
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:12 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: cash68 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:02 pm

SpudMonster wrote:Alright cash, it's true that pickups and SUVs are more dangerous than 5 star crash rated vehicles. I agree. On that note, why don't we live in foam padded rooms and never move. God forbid we hurt ourselves, or, *shudder* EXPOSE OURSELVES TO RISK!


Thank you for admitting this! :)

Pickups and SUVs are used as status symbols by some. That is also factual. However, does <a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/wierdoman11/IPLA%20Meet/20.jpg">THIS</a> look like a status symbol to you?


No, it does not. I would like to point out that in numerous polls, they usually all get the same result: Only 5% of all SUVs sold ever go off the road (on purpose).

I hate posers as much as the next guy. Every time I see a soccer mom drive her freshly waxed and detailed H2 I die a little bit inside. However, that does not mean don't like pickups or SUVs. I prefer them to cars. Why? Simply because it is nice to have the room inside. They are far more spacious inside than your average car, and that is a real plus in my book. I get claustrophobic in most normal cars.


Cool. Again, if you are actually USING the space, or using the vehicle for what it was designed for (hauling, towing, offroading), that is fine with me.

Have you ever seen what is under the hood of a modern car? There is so much crap crammed in there you can;t even fit in a deck of cards... I can almost hide my 6'1 150 pound frame under the shut hood of that suburban. Imagine how much easier that makes driveway repairs.


Agreed. My 68 Dodge Charger was a lot easier to work on than my 89 Honda accord, my 92 accord, or my 92 Subaru SVX. I miss the accessibility of most components, but newer cars, once you get the hang of them, are definitely NOT hard to work on.


ammosmoke wrote:I know I said I was done, but, really ROFL your car didn't have ABS? Its no WONDER. And that truck probably did, that you said braked "HARD". Especially in the rain, abs makes a huge difference. If your car had the exact same brakes, but with an abs system, you would have been just fine. All vehicle sold in the U.S. now have abs, and its been like that for about 10 or more years now.


No, it didn't. The car I'm referring to is an 1989 Honda Accord. A lot of cars from 1989 didn't come with ABS. And no, the truck didn't have ABS either. The difference was he had no payload and fresh tires, and I had 5 people in a 5 passenger car with a trunk full of stuff, and tires that were still good, but I needed to change before winter.

And yes, you are correct, if it had had ABS, it would have prevented the accident, which is EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. If the vehicle's braking performance was better, I would not have hit the truck. If TRUCK's had better braking performance, perhaps they would not have a deathrate 3x higher than cars.
  • 0


cash68
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:12 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: cash68 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Modderxtrordanare wrote:I don't exactly get which side you're on. You've been going on and on about how trucks have worse braking abilities than do cars, yet in the situation you give us, you were out braked by a truck? Also, his truck was fine and yours was barely scratched up. Who won that fight?


I'm on the side that BETTER BRAKING ABILITIES= SAFER VEHICLE. And normally, I could have outbraked that truck, but the problem was my car had 5 people in it, and a trunkload of stuff, so it's braking performance was worsened due to increased mass. And yes, the truck didn't get damaged at all, because of BUMPER INCOMPATABILITY. My bumper went UNDER his and never touched his truck. instead, my hood got slightly wrinkled by his bumper. Had the two bumpers been at the same height, neither vehicle would have been damaged.

It's really not that complicated. I was arguing that better braking performance= safer. SpudBlaster feels that braking performance has NOTHING to do with the safety of the vehicle, and it's ALL about the driver. He's wrong. Braking performance DOES contribute to the safety of a vehicle, and I brought up a specific example. If I had had an 89 Accord LXI, with slightly bigger rotors and ABS, I would have avoided it. But instead, I have the LX, the mid-range model with slightly smaller models and no ABS.
  • 0


cash68
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:12 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: ammosmoke » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Ok, so it comes down to the bottom line. We don't mind taking these risks you have stated to drive a truck/suv. You do. End of story.
  • 0

<img>http://www.speedtest.net/result/309559995.png</img>
User avatar
ammosmoke
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:57 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: cash68 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:18 pm

ammosmoke wrote:Ok, so it comes down to the bottom line. We don't mind taking these risks you have stated to drive a truck/suv. You do. End of story.


And I'm perfectly cool with your decision to do so. I just can't let it go when anyone claims that trucks are safer. Good luck driving your truck, and hopefully you won't be harmed by it. I wish you many care-free miles. :)
  • 0


cash68
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:12 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:03 am

cash68 wrote:I'm on the side that BETTER BRAKING ABILITIES= SAFER VEHICLE. And normally, I could have outbraked that truck, but the problem was my car had 5 people in it, and a trunkload of stuff, so it's braking performance was worsened due to increased mass. And yes, the truck didn't get damaged at all, because of BUMPER INCOMPATABILITY. My bumper went UNDER his and never touched his truck. instead, my hood got slightly wrinkled by his bumper. Had the two bumpers been at the same height, neither vehicle would have been damaged.


5 people in you're car will have a very negligible difference on your stopping time, if that.

Also, had the two bumpers been at the same height, your car would have been damaged. You stated earlier that trucks have less crumple zones than do cars, and a trucks bumper is made from steel. Yours isn't, it's full of crumple zones. Therefore it would have been damaged, if not more than when you were at a lower level. I should know, It's happened to me.


P.S. You shouldn't start a sentence with "and" and capitalizing words at the beginning usually help. :wink:
  • 0

User avatar
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Texas
Reputation: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'