Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

schmanman's trebuchet

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: Panzerfaust » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:39 pm

I love trebuchets, my school had a club i was in thjat built a 10 foot tall trebuchet out of nothing but logs found already downed in the woods with medevial period tools. It chucked a bowling ball sized concrete ball around 60 feet (a little disapointing) And broke through a cinderblock wall. Where did you get a quick release thing for the trigger? we couldent find one for our school trebuchet.
  • 0

User avatar
Panzerfaust
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:37 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:47 pm

666lucky693 wrote:that's awesome i am building a catapult but they are allot essayer and probably more powerful


catapults are less powerful, trebuchets were invented as a replacement.


Panzerfaust wrote:I love trebuchets, my school had a club i was in thjat built a 10 foot tall trebuchet out of nothing but logs found already downed in the woods with medevial period tools. It chucked a bowling ball sized concrete ball around 60 feet (a little disapointing) And broke through a cinderblock wall. Where did you get a quick release thing for the trigger? we couldent find one for our school trebuchet.




I made it. three eye-bolts and a stainless steel pin rod.
  • 0

Persistence is a measure of faith in yourself
User avatar
schmanman
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:28 pm
Location: Michigan,U.S.A
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:50 pm

just out of curiosity, do any of you know how to use a sling? its basicly the same thing as a trebuchet, but the wood arm is replaced with a human's instead.

ive been messing around with one for about a week and i can throw stuff about 700 feet with something i made with some string and nylon.
  • 0

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
User avatar
hi
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:37 am

hi wrote:just out of curiosity, do any of you know how to use a sling? its basicly the same thing as a trebuchet, but the wood arm is replaced with a human's instead.

ive been messing around with one for about a week and i can throw stuff about 700 feet with something i made with some string and nylon.


Ya, slings are absolutely deadly. Only problem, actually hitting anything takes one heck of a lot of practice.
  • 0

Image

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:19 pm

schmanman wrote:Catapults are less powerful, trebuchets were invented as a replacement.

But ballistas were more powerful again, then they had cannons, then they had artillery... each more powerful than the last. (Yes, I know I skipped a few things)

The power isn't the reason to build something like that... it's nice to have something different.
  • 0

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
User avatar
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: SW Hertfordshire, England, UK.
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:39 pm

joannaardway wrote:
schmanman wrote:Catapults are less powerful, trebuchets were invented as a replacement.

But ballistas were more powerful again, then they had cannons, then they had artillery... each more powerful than the last. (Yes, I know I skipped a few things)

The power isn't the reason to build something like that... it's nice to have something different.


She's right, trebuchet's aren't the most powerful thing out there, but they are friggin cool.
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: hi » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:42 pm

i once built a friction tebuchet, where i was the counter weight. i could get a 15 pound of sand about 75 to 100 feet. im pretty sure that thats what came before what schmanman built.
  • 0

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
User avatar
hi
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 pm

joannaardway wrote:
schmanman wrote:Catapults are less powerful, trebuchets were invented as a replacement.

But ballistas were more powerful again


ballista

trebuchet

Not quite, eh?

Still, you're right - in the same way that we have light, medium and heavy artillery in today's armies, ballistas, catapults and trebuchets complimented eachother on the medieval battlefield.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 pm

Trebuchets were the most powerful projectile siege weapon til gunpowder came along.

Ballistas chucked spears, darts or rounded projectiles against soldiers as a kind of sniper weapon.

Trebuchets chucked anything that could fit in the sling from diseased corpses to boulders into or against fortifications.
  • 0

User avatar
Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2599
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:51 am
Location: UK
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Hotwired wrote:Trebuchets chucked anything that could fit in the sling from diseased corpses to boulders into or against fortifications.


Mmm, plague-ridden corpses... Hooray for germ warfare!

I think this will be my next project now instead of another cannon.
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:15 pm

paaiyan wrote:
Hotwired wrote:Trebuchets chucked anything that could fit in the sling from diseased corpses to boulders into or against fortifications.


Mmm, plague-ridden corpses...
I think this will be my next project now instead of another cannon.

er... the corpses or the trechbue(sp) ?
  • 0

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
User avatar
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:20 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:17 pm

mopherman wrote:
paaiyan wrote:
Hotwired wrote:Trebuchets chucked anything that could fit in the sling from diseased corpses to boulders into or against fortifications.


Mmm, plague-ridden corpses...
I think this will be my next project now instead of another cannon.

er... the corpses or the trechbue(sp) ?


:oops:

The trebuchet.
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:39 am

If anyone is interested in Treb's there are some things you should look at;

Go to your local library and see if they have a copy of the PBS Nova on Treb's. Really cool. It covers some of the basics of design. They build a pair of big ass treb's and fling 200 pound (IIRC) sandstone balls at a section of castle wall.

Dig up a copy of the "Northern Exposure" TV shows. Ffind the episode with a big-ass treb that flings a piano a couple hundred feet.

There used to be a treb on the web that was used to fling a dead cow. No pictures of the cow, but there was a picture of a cow-shaped impression in the ground.
  • 0

Image

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 am

jimmy101 wrote:There used to be a treb on the web that was used to fling a dead cow. No pictures of the cow, but there was a picture of a cow-shaped impression in the ground.


Monty Python! Hecks yea.
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

I told them we already got one *french snigger*

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:46 am

paaiyan wrote:Monty Python! Hecks yea.


That and the Trojan Rabbit lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOVvp-4RBo[/youtube]

:D :D :D
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'