Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

.545 caliber copper launcher (Now with damage video)

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:40 pm

Of course it doesn't seem powerful for its size, Mr. 400psi pen gun. :D

Modeling the launcher in GGDT shows that an initial projectile position of 5 inches (the end of the loading port) reduces muzzle energy by only 5%, and velocity by 2.5%, so nothing noticeable.

I might pump it up to 200psi using my high pressure pump, just to see how it fires.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:47 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:Of course it doesn't seem powerful for its size, Mr. 400psi pen gun.

I'm still waiting for Ragnarok to finish the silencer for his HEAL 20mm cannon so he can use it at 300 psi - that will be something to see.

I do agree with JSR, the power does seem a touch down. Normally when I fire at water filled cans, they get absolutely annihilated (sometimes torn in two), and end up about 15 feet away.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:34 pm

I think the manner in which the cans fail depends substantially on the shape of the projectile's tip. When I fire sharp ended, streamlined projectiles such as nail darts, the cans are usually left with nothing more than a hole through the center. However, when using moderately blunted ammo such as an arrow tipped with a small bolt, the cans seem to tear open as did the two Budweiser cans in the video. When I fire very blunted ammo such as an arrow tipped with a large bolt, the cans are completely mutilated, as was the case for the Dr. Pepper can in the video.

Moving at the same velocity, a projectile with a blunted tip will transfer kinetic energy to a greater surface area, thus resulting in more widespread damage.

Buckshot of 20 or so steel BBs tends to do the most damage to cans, ripping them apart and leaving them with the appearance of swiss cheese.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mtronic » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:27 am

Nice cannon mate :) looks like fun but such a nice piece should be run at a higher psi for uber dmg :twisted:
Nice vid too, I loved to screen capture of the water. Has anyone watched the "isaac blows himself up" clip at the end in the related clips?

That guy is a complete tool, his shitty pvc black powder cannon blows up an f&*ks his arm, everyone should watch it for a laugh. I have no pitty for this fool who thinks his all that, next time he has an accident(from the sound of it he has had some before) I hope its more serious!

Always out numbered....
never out gunned
mtronic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:21 am

Of course it doesn't seem powerful for its size, Mr. 400psi pen gun.

What can I say, I've been spoilt :roll: :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:50 am

mtronic wrote:Has anyone watched the "isaac blows himself up" clip at the end in the related clips?

I just watched it, and left him a nice text comment for his idiocy. :lol:

Good thing he didn't die as a result of his injuries. Should that have been the case, the media would be all over it, claiming that 'spud guns' are extremely dangerous, when in reality, his contraption was more like a pipe bomb.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mtronic » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:01 am

I agree, Some people deserve what they get though. Black powder should never be used in pvc ever! I wouldn't even use it in a metal cannon. He was lucky he didn't lose his eyes.

Always out numbered....
never out gunned
mtronic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:02 am

Darwin strikes again *sigh*

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member