Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 29 users online :: 7 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Registered users: Bernie_McGee, Bing [Bot], BowerR64, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Corn Cannon

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Corn Cannon

Unread postAuthor: maizeman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:43 am

I’m inclined to post information on my summer project, as the information on this site was invaluable to me in its construction.

This beast was built for my relative who operates a corn maze each fall.
He found a web site selling “Corn Cannons” to launch ears of corn or small gourds using compressed air which interested him. The price tag ($500) was not as nearly as exciting.
I am “handy” and technically inclined, so I volunteered to construct one for him. Little did I know what I was getting into.

Specifications:
Reservoir – 6” ID x 30” long fiberglass pipe
Valve – barrel sealing 6” dia. aluminum piston
Barrels – 2”, 2 1/2”, and 3” sch. 40 PVC All are 50” long
“ASCO Red Hat” solenoids are used to fill and fire the gun
½” for the fill, and ¾” for the exhaust
115 VAC control circuit

The piston and end cap are made of 1 ½” thick aluminum. End cap has an o-ring to seal it and is held in place by 6 – ¼-20 SHCS. The piston has ~ a 1/8” thick fiber reinforced neoprene seal held in place by contact adhesive and a ¼” bolt with a fender washer. ¼” thick neoprene was used on the backside of the piston for a bumper.

The gun is intended for use by the public, so it was imperative to make it as safe as possible. The control circuit allows an operator to control the firing of the gun.
The projectile is loaded; the operator then pushes the fill button to charge the reservoir with air (a regulator is used to control the pressure). The operator then assures that the gun is pointed in a safe direction and enables the firing button on the gun. This allows “little Johnny” to push the button on the handle all he wants without causing an accidental discharge.

Most of the materials for the gun were scrounged except for the solenoid valves.

Here are the pictures of the gun, along with a single damage picture. The window on the French door was destroyed via an unintended discharge of a tennis ball at ~ 30 PSI.

Attachments
French Door.jpg
2&3 Barrels.jpg
Back.jpg
Front.jpg
Corn Gun 001.jpg
Last edited by maizeman on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maizeman
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Neat! A very good job and welcome to the forums. Just don't shoot through any more doors, okay? :wink:

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: maizeman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:07 pm

I delivered the gun this past weekend, so all the other doors and windows on the house are safe. I however, have been placed on double secret probation by my wife (much to my daughter's delight).

maizeman
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:14 pm

welcome to the forum, love the door shot :)

Pretty thick fibreglass pipe you used for a chamber, is it pressure rated at all? That would be my biggest safety concern.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: maizeman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:56 pm

The fiberglass pipe used for the gun was salvaged from a 30' joint that was damaged in the middle. This particular piece was made to a construction that rated it at 500 PSI working pressure. Typically, this product has a 2-2.5 safety factor, so the burst pressure for the material would be 1000-1250 PSI.

maizeman
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: spudgunnerwryyyyy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:05 pm

Thats sweet man, corn thats even more redneck than potatoes. You kick ass man. Probly really messy though. How intense are tennis ball shots.

spudgunnerwryyyyy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: super spuder » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:35 pm

KORN CANNON omg that is funny. here you go

trying to decide on a new project, probably something small.
super spuder
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:32 pm

In Memphis, TN we have a corn maze with a corn cannon. It has been 2 years since I have been to the corn maze, so I don't remember what it looked like. I think your relative may be operating his cannon about 1 mile away from my house since not very many corn mazes have a corn cannon, but I kinda doubt it though...

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:29 pm

maizeman wrote:This particular piece was made to a construction that rated it at 500 PSI working pressure. Typically, this product has a 2-2.5 safety factor, so the burst pressure for the material would be 1000-1250 PSI.

In that case, I hope you're cranking it up :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: super spuder » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 pm

what about shooting some of them pumpkins in the wagon out of it :lol:

trying to decide on a new project, probably something small.
super spuder
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: maizeman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:27 pm

Tennis balls are too light and fuzzy. There are some local gourds that are the right size do great and fly lights out when properly fitted and punched with 80 PSI. Will see what other damage can be done as time permits.

Pumpkins will take a slightly larger barrel than is currently available.

maizeman
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database