Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

all metal piston valve gun

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
all metal piston valve gun

Unread postAuthor: BigJon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:51 pm

Well it took me quite some time to build this but I am so glad I finally finished it.
This is an all metal gun with a berrel sealing piston valve. The valve, along with the rest of the gun, is 3/4" steel. The piston, though, is made out of a highliter cut in half, filled with epoxy, and wrapped in ducktape. It fills through a male quick connect atatched to a ball valve and thats also where i pilot the valve for now. Berrel is 9/32" brakeline and my primary ammo is 1/4" steel slingshot bb's.
This gun is very powerful and fun to shoot. I hope ya'll enjoy it.
Here are some pics of it.

Attachments
metal gun.jpg
metal gun.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
cool gun.jpg
cool gun.jpg (26.18 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
BigJon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:17 pm

that looks great. Though it looks like your pilot volume is rather large, unless your piston is longer than the tee. but yeah, good job man.

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Looks good! What did you use for a sealing lip? Post damage pics!

I am though jealous that everyone can build a piston valve but me... :(

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: BigJon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully i could get a video of it sometime this week but i'm not sure.
The pilot volume isn't too big because the piston is almost 2" long and is housed in the pipe nipple behind the tee.

@Noob of Noobs, for the sealing face i just found this piece of thick rubber and put it on my piston. also don't give up on making a piston valve, it took me for ever to get this thing working.

In the future I hope to make a stock for it and make it breech loaded. Any suggestions?

BigJon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Dont worry noob of noobs im still making piston valves and my first one i made didnt work for me. I plan on building another piston vavle gun but im not sure what size i should make the gun or what kind it should be (copper or pvc) so i know how you feel. :x But eventuall we will get it :D

Nice gun. Is this all soldered or compression fittings?

EDIT: Umm breech load maybe hard considering the size of your barrel is considerably small. But its still possible you can use a breech system where you unscrew the barrel, load the ammo, then rescrew the barrel back, or you can have a vertical feed, or you can get a barrel thats a little bigger than the one you have, then you cut a rectangle into the bigger barrel, and sleeve it onto the smaller barrel and attach that to the tee. Use a hose clamp and a screw to to lock the barrel in place once you make a groove into the bigger barrel so that the screw can fit in there. It would be much easier if you look at the how to or other cannons that have breech loading systems.

Look at this and it should help you. Just use these same instructions except using a smaller barrel. :D

LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: BigJon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:47 pm

LikimysCrotchus5 it is not soldered it is just threaded steel thats all.
And thanks for the suggestions on breech loading.

BigJon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database