Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

PBB the prototype.

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
PBB the prototype.

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:37 am

I call it PBB (Paintball Bouncing Betty).

I thought of how to make this last night and made it out of availible parts today after work. It is a prototype simply because its heavy, a little big for practical use, needs paint, and needs the mounts (electrical tape) cleaned up. I need to wait about 18 more hours before I charge the chamber.

It is a trip mine, a trip wire is connected to the light switch, the side mounted toggle switch is the arm/disarm. Inside the box, powering the sprinkler valve is 2 9-Volt batteries in series. I am expecting a 10' minimum vertical launch with a paintball grenade. About a 6' line is connects the mine to the grenades release washer. When the grenade reaches the proper altitude, the line pulls the washer off detonating the paintball grenade at head level giving a large kill radius. To provide a good air seal, I'll be using flour wrapped in paper towels. The flour will act as a visual effect signaling mine detonation.

This is my first cannon/launcher/mine that operates on low pressure (100PSI) and this is also the fist time I have used a sprinkler valve.

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:57 am

Thats a great idea. Look foreward to the results

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:08 am

That is so cool, i want to make one.
What pressure do you expect to use?

Edit:silly me 100 psi :lol:

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:13 pm

I have seen those home made paint grenades before with the washers and surgical tubing and this looks like it will work great.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: Redcoat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:17 pm

Make sure there aren't any leaks cause then when they trip it will do jack all. I think it's awesome. Love to see a video when it's done.

Poo.
Redcoat
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Good job. Looks like an apt tee shirt launcher. :D

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Won't be making a video today, I had some issues with the valve not opening all the way making the grenade lift up like an elevator and fall over once it left. I got this problem fixed by drilling out both holes below the soliniod but I made a small problem and now need to make a small spacer to fix the air leak. I was able to do a couple of test launches and achieved a good 15' altitude at 90PSI. That altitude is more than enough to allow proper detonation of the grenade for when the washer (or in this case 1/2" PVC pipe) gets yanked off. If I have time before work tomorrow I'll make a video.

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:37 pm

If it's set up to fire upwards, wouldn't making the switch move side to side along the X axis be alot better, so the tripline could be run parallel with the ground?

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:05 pm

Modderxtrordanare wrote:If it's set up to fire upwards, wouldn't making the switch move side to side along the X axis be alot better, so the tripline could be run parallel with the ground?

I have a ring screw on the barrel for a wire to go from vertical to horizontal travel. This allows the trip wire to be placed in any position without having to move the mine. Once I get done, the mine will be even more compact and will be burried mostly underground. Placing the switch horizontally when its under ground won't work too well but vetical and then going horizontal one it clears the surface would function better.

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database