Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My new gun, and questions.

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My new gun, and questions.

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:37 am

Well it is nothing special but today I decided to get the valve part of my old gun and attach it to a poly chamber and shorter barrel. This was for safety and to make it take less time to pump up.

I have a few questions though. On the chamber, the pipe says 'HR AUST PR 2420' I have no idea what the HR means, I'm guessing the AUST is because it is australian pipe, and I'm also guessing PR is pressure rating, and since kilopascals is the only unit that makes sence with that number I think the chamber is rated to 350 psi.

But I have no idea what the pvc ballvalve is rated to. It is a 20mm plastic pvc valve. From stuff I've read on the net I think it would be rated to around 150. How high do you think it is safe to use? I have already tested the gun to 120psi without a problem, and I am hoping that it will be safe to continue using at this pressure. I'll stick with 100 psi until I get an answer.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:49 am

if you don't know if its rated or not then i wouldn't use it, i would buy a different ball valve.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:58 am

I'm sure it is rated because it is in the irrigation section of the hardware shop, and what is the use of a ballvalve that can't hold pressure? This valve has been used many many times at 80psi, I just want to know how much higher I can go.

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:47 am

150psi is generally the standard for most plastic ball valves. But since you not sure what its rated I'd keep it at a 100 psi or below. Nice simple cannon by the way.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:08 am

The wall of the valve where the threads are is pretty thick, its about 6mm. That, along with the fairly small size of the valve, makes me think it is pretty unlikely it would fail at 100-120 psi.

Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: veginator » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:55 am

I would trash it and go get a metal ball valve because the more times you use a plastic ball valve the harder it is to open and eventually you will hardly be able to open it at all. Another bonus is it can hold the high pressure that the pipe can.

veginator
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:06 am

Well today I went and got a metal valve, it is a little harder to open than the plastic one because of the shape of the lever, but I like it anyway because it is rated to 25BAR and I will be able to spring load it if I want (plastic ones just get stuck, they need pressure on both sides of the handle)

Does anyone know what polyethylene pipe is rated to????? I think I guessed correctly but it would be nice to know for sure.

Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database