Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My very first piston cannon :)

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 

Is this a decent result for a first pneumatic?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:29 am

Yay!
100%
Nay!
No votes

Total votes : 11
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:49 pm

That's better accuracy than a cheap airsoft pistol :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: hyldgaard » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:54 pm

And just a tad more penetration power :thumbleft:
was thinking of adding some sort of sights, but i really dont think it deserves a scope or a dot-sight. any ideas for something i can make myself? not really impressed by very accurate sights on not so accurate guns :(

hyldgaard
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:04 pm

not really impressed by very accurate sights on not so accurate guns

Good point - that's the problem with many on this site, they look to sniper weapons for inspiration, when in reality they shoot be looking to shotguns, which being smoothbores have more comparable ballistics to spudguns than long range rifles.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: hyldgaard » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Added some damage pics. not much, but its all i have for now.

hyldgaard
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:04 pm

Great gun, awesome. Wish i can make a piston valve, but im almost there, with a little mistakes out of the way i think i got it. and really it isnt hard i know but some people get it right away and some dont. But seriously i think the chamber defeats the whole purpose of making the gun copper, which i am guesssing is only what you could get in Denmark. But just replace that chamber and you can take it up to 300psi +. Great cannon though. :D

LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hyldgaard » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:09 pm

thanks ;) yea i know about the chamber, its a bit of a pain in my eye too ;) im a bit doubtful about the 300psi, I think the blowgun is only good to about 140... time will show :wink:
good luck with your piston valve by the way, im sure youll get it right 8)

hyldgaard
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 am

Mate they are some really nice looking darts. What did you use for the tail? I'm thinking you made a mould, pushed the nail in and just poured in hot glue? (it looks like hot glue or something similar) :D

Great looking gun, keep up the great work!

By the way, with your blowgun, how did you attatch it via the nozzel? isn't it a different thread? One more question mate... Does your blowgun hiss and leak? I was told that when they are hooked up backwards, they leak pretty bad :?

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: hyldgaard » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:52 am

thanks :wink: I used some other guys from this forum as inspiration, but really cant remember who :? the tail is made from heated milkjug, pressed down over a laserpointers head. I have some pictures i can upload when i get back home that illustrates the process a little better, but generally its kind of a mix between different homemade darts i saw on the forum, just made easier to "mass produce". but i dont take any credit since almost none of the ideas were mine :wink:

About the blowgun, i just screwed it right in with a 1/8" nipple, guess i was just lucky buying the right one :lol: and no, it doesnt leak, but im thinking it wont go very high pessure wise this way. if i get inspired to try higher pressure, it will probably be replaced by a ball valve.

hyldgaard
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:23 am

Very nice gun indeed, i appreciate your point and aim method too as it is the way i aim :wink: The darts you made seem to work quite well also.
Feels good punching holes in stuff hey :twisted:
Well done with your first build mate. :)

Edit: First Pnemo that is!

Last edited by Novacastrian on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: hyldgaard » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:26 am

thanks :) yeah feels good punchin holes, but its somewhat different from my 50mm and 75mm combustion launchers ;)

hyldgaard
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:55 am

Thats a really great method. Ill have to give that a try myself. Thanks alot mate! :D

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hyldgaard » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:07 am

np :wink: ill upload some pictures when i get home, and i promise that its alot easier, and less time consuming than any of the other dart guides youve seen on the forum :)

Edit:

Attachments
IMG_1755.JPG
I keep them wrapped in masking tape, to keep track of them :D
IMG_1754.JPG
now put as little hotglue in the bottom of the cone as possible, while still covering the head of the nail.
IMG_1753.JPG
I use a wooden block with two holes in it to cut the cones consistently, one hole that fits the diameter of the nail that goes all the way through, and a whole with the ID of the barrel +1mm to make a tight fit. note that the last hole only goes as deep as the cone has to go before it rests on the edge. (if you dont understand what the h im talking about, please tell me. im not very good at the english explanation ;))
IMG_1752.JPG
Milkjug heated until clear, then pressed onto the laserpointers head, which is resting on the table. when hardened, nail is pushed into the cone.
hyldgaard
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:32 am

HOLY MOTHER OF WHO KNOWS WHAT!! :shock:

i like those darts and your method of production very much sir.

nice job

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hyldgaard » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:00 am

Thanks :D But i have yet to test their accuracy at distance, so i dont know about that yet. perhaps someone could make a few and test it?
I have somewhat of a suspicion that at higher pressures the muzzleblast will ruin accuracy, but thats just a guess.
I tried making a muzzlebrake just for the fun of it, but i had to remove it again due to the very increased loudness of the gun. it made somewhat of a very loud whistling sound. Damn, cant wait to go to the shop so i can test some things out again :lol:

hyldgaard
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:06 am

I make similar projectiles and as long as the dart or nail in this case is not too long, i'd say they would be accurate up to 40-50 feet maybe- longer if there is no wind.
Again great job :)

Edit: I believe there are methods to reduce muzzle blast :wink:
One of these would work a treat. ( a BIG one :wink: )Image

Last edited by Novacastrian on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database