Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

4" Piston Cannon pls

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: benstern » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:09 am

NO!!!!!
It is NEVER ok to use abs on a pneumatic. EVER!

benstern
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: cwazy1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 am

elaborate
just saying no does not mean anything.

cwazy1
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:24 am

ABS, like DWV, is not pressure rated. NSF-PW pipe is designed to take pressure, but the other two are not. This is not saying that they will not hold pressure, it's just saying that these have not been tested (by the NSF).

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: cwazy1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:26 am

^^^ exactly, but why must we wait for the "NSF" to test it?

cwazy1
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:27 am

You don't. You can go ahead and use it. It's just not recommended. Besides, there is a such thing as pressure rated ABS.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: cwazy1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:29 am

yeah tahts true, there is, its just hard to come by. same with solid wall abs.

cwazy1
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:36 am

Most combustions only produce 30-40psi.

Anyway I've had 260psi rated PVC blow at 110psi, so i'm not going to tell you not to use it, you know what you are doing so do what you want.

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:00 am

To be honest, I try to avoid non-pressure rated parts / pipes for all my cannons (besides, of course, the occasional cleanout for a combustion).

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:44 am

I was thinking wow, the first snub nose coaxle. But wait, it doesn't even have a snub on it, it's the first flush nose??? Any video's of it in action? I'de like to see it launch a golf ball through something.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:54 am

Yeah could we have more pics and maybe a vid of it?
How does it perform?

And some guys should stop whining about the ABS, if he wants to use that, let him do. Okay, he could better have invested in PVC and use it up to 100PSI but so what?
Hes not taking it over 60PSI, wich means hes using it SAFE and secondly, IF it should blow, its ABS and not PVC so he'll lose only a couple of bucks and no health.

Great cannon, though i reccomend a longer barrel.

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:03 am

--

Last edited by dewey-1 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: cwazy1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:07 pm

haha yeah its cut perfectly flush, the damage this thing can do is pretty impressive, it can eat through 1" plywood with a clean hole and can go through 1.5" with a not so clean hole. the only bad thing about this gun is that its literally impossible to aim, when you open the valve, the whole cannon moves about 2" to the right and because of the motion of opening the valve and the whole cannon itself is only 20" long, it causes the projectory of the GB to be off by alot. after fireing it a while you learn to adjust (like a sniper..refering to the topic about sniper scope clicks..lol)

all the shots are done at around 55-60psi. i want to pump up the psi and try it at say, , 80, but cuz its abs, i am hesitant to try and its cold. so im sticking with 60..lol

i dont have any videos but i can get some damage pics. i'll post them by tomrw.

yeah see i was really debating on whether i should cut it flush or leave 2' of barrel outside the chamber, but i decided that since having a barrel outside of the chamber, would look too much like a simple combustion(linear noob hairspray gun). thus i cut the barrel flush and now it looks like "the tube of death" i just love how clean it is, literally a 4" pipe section with a valve and a gauge on the other side. no one would guess it shoots stuff.

cwazy1
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:14 pm

While I don't particularly like the use of parts rated for 10 psi on a cannon that operates at 60 psi, I would have to say that Benstern is DEAD WRONG (as usual, I might add). It is always OK to use ABS on a low pressure pneumatic, because you can't really do any more than damage your hearing if it fails. A PVC pneumatic on the other hand... If this is cellular core ABS though, you should scrap it. Exploding ABS is an unfortunate loss of money, while exploding PVC has a great potential for severe injury.

As a safety precaution, never place any part of your body behind the cleanout cap while it is pressurised. I've had a nasty experience with that before. Keep it below 60 psi, and you should be fine. Unrated ABS is always better than unrated PVC, but rated pipe is preferred. Comparing rated PVC to unrated ABS is kind of pointless.

How people have generated such skewed stereotypes against ABS I have no idea.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:24 pm

Looks pretty good, I really like the compactness.

And you should be fine at about 60 psi, and like you said if it gives it'll rip instead of fragging. I would recommend chucking that clean out and replacing it with a plug (though that would run you some more cash) just because those are probably the weaker of the dwv fittings. Then again it's 60 psi, and I've taken clean outs to 125 psi with no problems.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: cwazy1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:49 pm

yeah i was debating the plug/cleanout stuff..the only reason i chose the cheapout was cuz if i had a plug there, i wouldnt be able to service my piston

cwazy1
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database