Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Grib's First Pnuematic Cannon

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: watto » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:16 pm

psycix wrote:
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
psycix wrote:Cut it quickly as you might have JSR commit suicide if you dont!

I'm not *that* commited to efficiency :roll: but if you appreciate the benefits of maximising the power potential of your launcher, screw the blowgun directly into the valve, simple as that.

NONONO thats not good enough!
If you want efficiency build a small piston valve right ontop of the sprinkler wich will be pilotted by the blowgun -- without a hose.

Thats not nearly effecient enough I suggest a piston valve ontop of the sprinkler, then piloting the piston valve is another sprinkler valve then piloting that sprinkler valve maybe a QEV.

watto
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:23 pm

watto wrote:
psycix wrote:
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:[quote="psycix"]Cut it quickly as you might have JSR commit suicide if you dont!

I'm not *that* commited to efficiency :roll: but if you appreciate the benefits of maximising the power potential of your launcher, screw the blowgun directly into the valve, simple as that.

If you want efficiency build a small piston valve right ontop of the sprinkler wich will be pilotted by the blowgun -- without a hose.

Thats not nearly effecient enough I suggest a piston valve ontop of the sprinkler, then piloting the piston valve is another sprinkler valve then piloting that sprinkler valve maybe a QEV.[/quote]

Ah, hell. Just pilot your valve with a burst disc.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:30 pm

watto wrote:
psycix wrote:
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
psycix wrote:
Cut it quickly as you might have JSR commit suicide if you dont!

I'm not *that* commited to efficiency but if you appreciate the benefits of maximising the power potential of your launcher, screw the blowgun directly into the valve, simple as that.

Thats not nearly effecient enough I suggest a piston valve ontop of the sprinkler, then piloting the piston valve is another sprinkler valve then piloting that sprinkler valve maybe a QEV.

Ah, hell. Just pilot your valve with a burst disc

Yeah, and then wonder how you're going to get that chunk of foil out of your eye...

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:26 pm

wow i didn't know that the simple subject of too long of a hose would lead to discussion about the most efficent way to pilot an inch and a half valve. anyway about burst disks is i'd like to try and find a way to make a burst disk out of something silimar to the plastic seal in the cap of 1 litre bottles, wonder what those burst at.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: watto » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:09 pm

I thought we were being sarcastic? Just shorten the hose so theres no slack in it and it'll be awesome once you get your longer barrel, with my blowgun I noticed that the handle doesnt push the pin all the way down so If yours is like that get a popstick or something and put it inbetween them so it opens all the way.

watto
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:45 am

yeah i was being a wee bit sarcastic myself, umm what i did with the blow gun handle I pulled it back all the way as far as i could so it sticks out perpendicular acting as my safety but i put it on my vise and tapped where it hits the pin with a center punch so that is sticks down a little bit further and applies more pressure on the pin,

right now i'm also waiting for monday to go get my golfball barrel, i got it up to 80 psi today, ended up getting about 20 seconds of vertical hang time out of a medium red potato

definatley impressed the old man also with my blue combustion cannon and the 7 foot golfball barrel yeah

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:44 am

Ragnarok wrote:Though far from obvious, this post has two unusual traits marking it out. Who knows what?

*Solution from Jack in 3..2..1..*

It's been a rough week, that flew completely over my head - care to elaborate :?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:47 am

i'm a wee bit lost on that myself, is he saying my gun has unusual traits or what the f^@K is he saying??

facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:26 am

Ah well, I imagined someone might get it, and usually JSR is quite quick on things like that.

Well, you see, sometimes I set myself weird challenges when posting - like trying to fit lyrics from famous songs into as many sentences as possible, or equally odd things. Makes it a little more interesting.

There's no letter E, nor is the same word used twice (assuming "though" and "although" are considered separate).
I thought no letter E was too obvious, so I added the no repeat rule as well.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:16 am

I make a conscious effort not to repeat myself so the lack of repetition did not strike me as unusual, though it did make the punctuation rather odd.

reminds me of a quote from "mock the week" by Frankie Boyle:

Have you ever heard that science thing that if you put a frog into boiling water it will jump out, but if you put it into cold water and heat it up, the frog won't realise and it will die. Or to put it another way, scientists have way too much time on their hands.

:D

"Shall we cure cancer today?"

"No. I'm seeing how many fruit pastilles it takes to choke a kestrel"

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:34 am

Well, that also included "a", "it", "and", "that" - and all that dohickey.
It gets harder with both rules - you start running out of words quite fast, given the large portion of English words with E in them.

So, how many fruit pastilles does it take to choke a kestrel?

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:39 am

We make pharmaceuticals for human consumption, I don't have any kestrels handy - However, as a comic alternative, I won't need much persuasion to discover empirically how many fruit pastilles it will take to choke my annoying lab assistant :x

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:00 am

Ow, I need to stop laughing - my right shoulder is badly pulled, and laughing is actually quite uncomfortable.

Typing solely left handed is a lot slower than usual. On a good day, I can hit 60 wpm when touch typing, a moderate speed. I can't even get a quarter of that with only one hand.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:42 pm

where did the typing with one hand come from? just another challenge?

Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:27 pm

My shoulder is pretty bad, there are some positions I can hold it in fine, but a typing position is not comfortable. Typing single handed is not an intellectual challenge - I set myself the challenges as a bit of a mental workout.

I got the idea for the silly challenges when I saw a section of a program about the England football (or soccer) team fitting as many song titles as they could into their interviews during the '98 world cup (Note, I am not a sports fan, but it was pretty interesting to see how quick these guys were on the ball).
Unfortunately, I can't trace much of the stuff online. I remember there was this really great response to one of the questions, I just don't remember what the response was.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database