Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 3 registered, 1 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

first cannon

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
first cannon

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm

this is my first attempt at a cannon. The barrel is 1.25m 15mm copper pipe and the chamber is 1.55m 22mm copper pipe. It uses a ball valve which im modding using an idea for a spring loaded trigger i saw on here. None of the part except for the barrel and the valve are fixed yet and i still need to find a suitable spring but the pics will give you an idea of what it should look like and how the trigger will work.

will update once i do more to it.
Image[/img]

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Going for a rifle look, I see. What's the gate valve for on the end of it?

The only concern I see is the shape. Assuming you will want to take it to considerably higher pressure than a pvc cannon, the recoil may put a lot of stress on the elbows, causing them to bend / crack / break.

Advising on supporting the barrel and Welcome to Spudfiles.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:27 pm

The gate valve is because the pipe on my compressor has a push on fitting on the end of it so ill open the gate valve to fill it up then close it to take the compressor off.

Yh i can see what you man about the elbows, would it be better to have the chamber coming out the front instead of the back?

Also can you see or think of any problems there might be with the trigger as i havnt tested it.

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:55 pm

That push fitting would be a quick connect? If so, you shouldn't need the gate valve. Most of them close on their own. But keep it on just in case.

As far as the chamber goes, if you run it forwards, you still may want to add a barrel support.

I've never used the triggering system you speak of but there are several good examples on SpudFiles. Here is a link where a guy uses one. You may can read up on it and gather some ideas about the design.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:27 pm

yh its something like that connection, I think without the gate valve id have to have the compressor connected while shooting so ill leave it on just to make sure.

If i run it forward would a piece of wood with a hole for the barrel and a hole for the chamber in it be enough for support?

Thanks for the link, as far as i can see mines the same concept just set out slightly different so hopefully it will work fine.

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:30 pm

You could drill a hole through the wood...or you could just strap it on. Whichever you do, make sure it is solid.

Anyway, good luck with it, make sure you put a good bit of pressure in it, then show us some damage pics. :D

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm

I think im going to go with this set up because itll be easier to support the barrel.

Ill get my dad to solder it all up at the weekend and then as soon as i find a spring i can use ill get some pics and videos up.

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:44 pm

Another suggestion: Since you are using wood on the launcher, why not go the whole nine yards and craft a rifle look using the wood?

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Maniac » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:24 pm

nice first cannon man cant wait to see it finished with damage pics. also what do you plan to shoot out of it

Coodude26 wrote:
People who laugh really hard at stuff that pisses you off/you getting hurt, who then say "I'm sorry, I can't stop" but you know they easily could.

Mr.C: That's not as easy as you think. It's like me kicking you in the balls and telling you to stop crying.
Maniac
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:05 pm

hubb017 thats a brilliant idea, ill definately do that at some point but it will probably come after i get the cannon working.

Thanks for the positive comments maniac, damage pics and videos will be up as soon as i have them. I plan to shoot pretty much anything that fits in the barrel. I have tested it with just the ball valve and barrel connected to a compressor and found that marbles worked well and also a plastic wall plug with a screw in it to make it heavier was very effective.

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:01 pm

my cannon is now nearly finished, its gone through alot of changes as i had quite a few problems with the spring loading but i finally got it working and now it just needs a few minor adjustments and a bit of a clean up. heres some pics and videos
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ACYDMQZHmnc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3MCx1soDg[/youtube]

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database