Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

THE STING! triggered burst disc cannon.

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: pizlo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Why not have a burst disk trigger a piston or sprinkler?

pizlo
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:27 pm

:shock: that would be pointless then you would have change burst disk everytime just to fire a sprinkler or piston while you can just use a ball valve

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:09 pm

In my opinion, burst disks are only really useful on cannons as safety devices, or main valves. Their only advantage is unrestricted flow and fast opening with no moving parts.

In the MBDC, the regulator is turned to 500psi, charging the line to the fill valve to that pressure. When the ball valve is cracked open, the entire chamber fills very quickly, and ruptures the disk. In that case, the entire chamber acts the same way that the small space between ball valve and union does on your cannon, and the chamber on your cannon acts the same way as the tank and filling line on mine, except I close the firing valve after the launcher shoots. In case anyone didn't notice, Gort's QCTBDC inspired the naming scheme for my burst disk pneumatics

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:18 pm

The sting mk 2 begins this weekend! im using your idea for it (the MBDC) hope you wont mind.

current projects: co-axial piston valve.Status DONE!
S.P.E.C.S update mk 1 construction begining in febuary all the maths for it are done plans are drawn up and parts are listed.
NEXT project:auto piston valve.
thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 pm

I don't mind at all. Please, build it in a larger caliber though. The MBDC is too weak and low velocity to be very much fun for the amount of trouble it takes to load.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database