Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

2'' Piston 1.5inch Porting finaly done

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
2'' Piston 1.5inch Porting finaly done

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm

This is my 2 inch piston 1.5porting i have finaly completed the piston is a 1 1/4 coupler sealing face is a toliet plunger rubber, i have tested this only at 20 psi and it seals great. piston is service able through the back threaded plug piloted by a 1inch sprinkler ,and filled by a QC, no chamber yet cause i need to ask my teahnology teacher for it :D

Attachments
2pistonside.JPG
side of the piston
front2piston.JPG
piston2frontside.JPG
pistonside2.JPG
sealsidetee2.JPG
piston sealing against the barrel
openpositon.JPG
piston open
elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:44 pm

It looks like the piston head is a smaller diameter than the sealing face. I would assume that this isn't the case because you've already piloted the valve successfully, but the picture looks misleading. Very clean construction, and I look forward to seeing it on a launcher.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:21 pm

don't ask in somebody else's topic lol, dyi the piston/sealing face is like a fingernail larger then the barrel

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 pm

DYI wrote:It looks like the piston head is a smaller diameter than the sealing face. I would assume that this isn't the case because you've already piloted the valve successfully, but the picture looks misleading. Very clean construction, and I look forward to seeing it on a launcher.

It looks that way possibly because the valve is upside down, so the piston is resting on the inside of the top of the tee, making it look smaller then the barrel.

Just a thought.

Edit: Going by this picture

Oh and very nice elitesniper, looks great, good that you worked out the interhcangeable barrels thing. :)

Last edited by MrCrowley on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:07 pm

piston is just about the same size ad the barrel i finger nail bigger though :lol: , nice piston? pilot volume is alot but eh the 1inch sprinkler takes good care of that :twisted: ,Mr.C i finaly made my piston have inter chageable barrels though :D , now i can hear the BOOM!

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Haha yeah see my edit.

Pilot volume isn't all that bad, if your piston is longer then it looks. But yeah the sprinkler takes good care of that.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:14 pm

oh that the piston is just tilting down cause i havent added the 2 inch tube yet haha the piston isn't connected :D i was so excited i just posted it , once the 2'' is on then the piston will be allined. with the barell.[/list]

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:25 am

Agghhh... fights... ADD....

I will finish my current project before I build another piston valve. I will finish my current project before I build another piston valve. I will...

Nice piston. What type of bushing is that on the front of the tee, though? The head looks a little thin.

Put it on a cannon, though, as this is the cannon showcase... :wink:

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: pizlo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Or if you dont want to put it on a cannon ship it to me and I will.

pizlo
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:57 pm

why would i make a 2'' valve and not put it on a cannon? markfh11q, its a nsf-pw 2'' x1 1/2'' bushing its not actually thin quite think actually. im picking up the 2'' pvc on friday :lol: , barrel will be :lol: 4feet long chamber will be 34inches long :twisted:

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:01 am

Why not make a longer barrel? Most of my barrels are at least five feet or longer, (6' is a common size), especially when building pneumatics.

You can also make a golfball barrel by sleeving in some SDR-21 with duct-tape spacers around the outside, then epoxied in place. My friend has a 10' barrel like this that hasn't let us down yet. No need for expensive SCH-80.

Your next logical step for your next piston valve is to make it both more powerful and look cleaner. The way to do this is to make the entire valve fit into a single tee with no external fittings. That way, if somebody looks at the valve from the side, it looks like just a PVC tee lying there. This both cuts down on pilot volume, make your tolerances a little tighter for enhanced performance, (you're forced to make a piston that actually fits and seals decently in your carriage pipe), and brings the looks factor way up. I made one of these for our robotics robot, (to make a t-shirt cannon to mount on it), but sadly, we haven't gotten around to finishing that. I think I'm gonna remake that valve anyway, being that it it only has 1" porting. What if we have to launch shirts in the Astrodome? :wink:

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:52 pm

nah man 4 feet is way to much for me i don think a foot more would make any perform mance worth noticing

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: chrissilvermancs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 pm

like it

although i would like to see the back of the piston and bumper too.

BTW u might want to use hose on that sprinkler valve instead of a direct connection because of the force it might have you could enlarge the hole by accented when firing

u did a good job not getting that primer everywhere i normally cant control it lol

chrissilvermancs
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Chris, just tape off your fittings with masking tape to control getting the primer everywhere, and then other than that just let gravity control it.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database