Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Update: My most powerful pneumatic yet the K.A.M.G

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Update: My most powerful pneumatic yet the K.A.M.G

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:52 pm

It is not that huge and doesnt stand any chance in power against the SCTBDC but its power is quite awsome for its size(its sort of like a mini SCTBDC)
I name it the K.A.M.G(Kick A$$ Metal Gun)
It is very impressive to watch fire the recoil blows it of its stand and the blast makes plywood fly away.I have held this while fireing and the recoil is amazing.I have only pressurized it up to 160psi because it is so loud.
I cant use it outside of my garage because of the noise it deafens me in the enclosed garage.
My dad is afraid of it and wont let me use it when my brothers are around because hes afraid they will get hurt by it somehow.
This is the product of some upgrades to this gun
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/200psi- ... 12918.html
I will put a pressure gauge on it so I can pressurise it with dry ice to
300-400psi
I will get a 10ft 1in barrel and a 10ft 1.25in barrel for it.
I realese the presure with a burst disk which burst a second or two after I open the ball valve.
I have gotten it through 3 pieces of plywood before stopping with a CO2 cartrige.I will try some heavyer ammo and see how many peices of plywood I can get through with that.
And it would be really helpful if someone could GGDT this for me with 400psi and a 10ft long 1in barrel firing a co2cartrige.

The specs
Chamber:12in of 1.5in steel pipe and 24in of 1in steel pipe 45.57ci
Barrel:4ft 1insch40 pvc and 10ft 3/4in thinwall pvc rated to 200 psi
(would it be safe to use the thinwall barrel at 400psi)
Valve:Ball valve actuated burst disk
Fill setup:Shrader valve with in ball valve to close when I use it above 200psi.
Pressure used:100-200psi currently but hope to soon use 300-500psi

Enough talk heres some pics
Ill add some damage pics and maybe a video because pictures dont do the justice of how powerful this thing is.

The gun without the chamber extention on next to my bike pump with the 4ft 1in barrel on

The chamber extention and, my feet :roll:

The chamber and my feet again :wink:

The fill setup

A burst disk that has burst

The union I added on

Thats it, tell me what you think
Damage pics coming soon

Update:
Chamber volume incresed and more barrels
Have a 5ftlong 1.5in SDR21 golf ball barrel
10ft long 1/2in sdr21 paintball and marble barrel
10ft long 3/4in Sdr21 barrel(bought the wrong size for another gun that it was meant for use with)
4ft long 1in barrel(rarely used anymore)

Chamber volume was 45.57ci but now it is about 65ci
Put on a 24in long peice of in pipe I had laying around.

Some pics

The KAMG with the golfball barrel attached before the chamber extention

with the paintball barrel on(bent a little I know)

With the 3/4in sdr21 barrel on

Thats it for now i really hope to get the chance to upload some damage pics today or if I can get hold of my stepmums camera a video.

video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBBUZzt09k[/youtube]

Last edited by bigbob12345 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: pizlo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm not going anywhere near your house, lucky, we've had school when there was over 4 ft of snow!

pizlo
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: My most powerful pneumatic yet the K.A.M.G

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:57 pm

bigbob12345 wrote:And it would be really helpful if someone could GGDT this for me with 400psi and a 10ft long 1in barrel firing a co2cartrige.

With a 12g cartridge, the fit will be quite loose, and you didn't actually give a valve diameter, so these figures are going to be pretty wild.

760 fps, loose cartridge, 1.5" valve, air.

A drop in valve diameter to 1" loses you 20 fps, a cartridge wrapped in electrical tape will gain around 90 fps. At these speeds, although GGDT says otherwise, this is very close to CO2's speed of sound, so shockwave losses using CO2 will cost you around 100 fps.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:58 pm

I just let this thing out on some plywood and it was absolutly devestating it would go through 4 layers before putting a dent in my garage at the max I can do it 200psi :twisted: I filled the barrel with water and let one off while I was holding it bad idea it threw back with so much force that it yanked itself out of my hand good thing it landed on grass.It may not be big but it destroys anything you put infront of it.

Edit: Ragnorok thats about what I expected good and to bad about the energy loss with the CO2 maybey Ill try to get my hands on some heilium and expand the chamber size even more and use a 20ft barrel.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:27 pm

co2 catridges are relatively light.... try something heavier - it will increase the muzzle energy and the speed of sound in co2 won't matter that much...
bolts, nuts or steel rods would be ideal

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Ive got some damage pics to upload Ill upload them but they just dont show the true power of this gun I was going to do a vid but my dad had to leave and he doesnt let me use it when hes not around.Two weeks from now Ill get some dry ice,pressure gauge a longer barrel and bigger chamber.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 pm

Good job bigbob, that performance is impressive for such a small bore and low pressure.

If you had a pressure source like an HP tank or compressor, you could increase performance by putting the trigger between the filling hose and the chamber rather than right before the firing valve. Doing this would increase reliability and performance, as flow would be less constricted when the disk failed.

It surprises me that this is loud. I can compare it to my MBDC, which has a much larger chamber volume and an equivalent bore size, runs on 500 psi, and has a very similar BD setup (except it incorporates my above suggestion), but makes only a small pop when fired. I think I may have damaged my hearing somehow in this hobby *cough*oxyMAPPhybridincident*cough*.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: noname » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Another picture including feet...but wait! Are those shoes?!?! That's a first.

Great gun you got there.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 am

DYI:Thanks for the comment and yes it is very loud especialy with the barrel not on.Loud enough for my neighbors to take a peek out door into our backyard after me fireing it inside our garage with the doors closed at 80psi.
The burst disk makes such a huge difference in performance It has just become my favorite valve.Im really getting addicted to metal and high pressures even though I have acsess to pressure rated pvc in all sizes.
omg Im becoming you

Nomame:yes it seems that whenever someone puts there feet in a picture they are wearing socks

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:30 pm

inside our garage with the doors closed at 80psi.

:shock: Well THERE'S your problem. Firing the MBDC inside at 80psi is a lot louder than firing it outside at 500. If you move this outside it won't be nearly as hard on your ears.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:46 pm

I have fired it outside it makes a difference but its still very loud.
Or maybe I just dont know the true loud sounds produced by larger cannons and it just seems loud to me or i have good ears or as you you metioned you have bad ears.
Who knows why but its loud.

Edit: or its beause your MBDC has a longer barrel which would be a reasonable explination.

Edit again: 350 post red three red stars.
:wav:

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:41 pm

The pressure at the end of the barrel on your design is ~82 psi, while the pressure at the end of the barrel on the MBDC is at least 250 psi. Which means that even with the surface area difference, the flow rate out the barrel of the MBDC is higher than that of the KAMG, and with all else equal (which it is, as flow is not constricted in any way on either design), the MBDC should be quite a bit louder.

As you said, either you have sensitive hearing, or I have damaged hearing, or (as I suspect), it's a combination of both.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: STHORNE » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 pm

what ammunition have you used so far and what effects have they had?

any favorites?

STHORNE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:54 pm

DYI:I agree with you I think its a combanation of both those because I dont think Ive ever had my ears ring which is quite suprising considering I have been ito this hobbie for a little under a year.

sthorne:I have used CO2 cartriges;potatoes(duh),1/2in pvc with wadding(awsome damage),wodden dowels,water(kicks like a beast), and 2in long metal rods wrapped in duct tape to fit.

A couple days ago I would of said my favorite ammo is CO2 cartriges but now I will have to say 1/2in pvc 3ft long with wadding of course just because of the astonishing damage it does a close range(clears 5 layres of 1/2in plywood).

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:33 pm

Update
Larger chamber, more barrels
See above.
Ive been experimenting a lot with this gun especially with alternate burst disks and have found the ultimate burst disk matierial...Brown tape
it only would work for 1in unions and under but it is perfect with it adding pretty accurately 35psi per layer(except for if there is one layer in which it bursts at 27psi)but of course that information is for 1in unions.
I have yet to get the pressure gauge because I cant find any that go above 200psi.
And when i do get a pressure gauge i want to know if it will be safe to use the thinwall barrels at 500psi.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database