Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

basic copper pnuematic pnuematic

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
basic copper pnuematic pnuematic

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:51 am

So here is my first pneumatic. went for copper with a modded sprinkler valve. This was done mainly for practice.

The chamber is 25 inches by 1 inch.
the barrel is 48 inch by .5 inch.
The valve is a modded 3/4 orbit sprinkler valve.

I have taken it to 140 psi with a shock pump I have, but normally use a compressor that only reaches 100 psi. I put a AA battery through a hollow core door and launched another battery till I couldn't see it anymore. Other than batteries, I shoot chopped up hot glue sticks wrapped in tape, wax bullets, darts made from nails and tape, or good ole chunks of taters... I was disappointed to find that marbles don't quite fit in the barrel.

I am gonna add a breach loading system to it, just waiting for more money to roll in. I may add a scope too. I am kinda hesitant on upgrading it since I wanna build a piston shooter now (packed with all kinds of cool features and doo-dads, and more psi). I just built this to get my feet wet in the pneumatic pool.

Attachments
chamber.jpg
the chamber
fullgun.jpg
the full gun
I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS the 2nd » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:23 am

Nice starter you have there.

You should save your money till you can build a Piston.

MaxuS the 2nd
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:28 am

Are pistons that much more effecient? It seems to me like a sprinkler valve is very similar to a piston as it is. At least thats the idea I got from opening the sprinkler valve when I put the blow gun in.

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:54 am

A piston valve will have no dead space, less pilot volume and in general give you better flow, plus since you're making it yourself it will probably turn out cheaper.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:30 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:A piston valve will have no dead space, less pilot volume and in general give you better flow, plus since you're making it yourself it will probably turn out cheaper.

You forgot about being able to take a piston valve (for the most part) to a higher pressure, thus making for a more powerful shot, if that's what is desired.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:41 am

You forgot about being able to take a piston valve (for the most part) to a higher pressure, thus making for a more powerful shot, if that's what is desired.

Yeah, thats my main reason for wanting to do a piston next.

jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database