Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My 1st Burst disk.

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Counterstriker » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 pm

Ohh Yah I know I need a longer barrel. I have another longer barrel but it didn't fit the ammo in it. It wasn't met to be too impressive :D Sice I am still working the kinks outa the gay union.

Counterstriker
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:37 pm

DYI wrote:Also, I'm not trying to lure you into the SCTBDC trap

So DYI, what ever happened to your original plan to build the SCTBDC as a handheld cannon? :D

You've ALMOST suckered me into building a huge, useless cannon several times with your "most powerful air cannon in Canada" comments, but I haven't yet fallen into the trap, as I still like my handheld launchers. :roll:

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am

So DYI, what ever happened to your original plan to build the SCTBDC as a handheld cannon?

Personally, I blame clide, for alerting me that I could use a longer barrel on the 1.0 version. Before that, I had always heard that 2:1 was the best C:B ratio for pneumatics, and had never really thought much about it. Then I started testing on GGDT, and realised that I could still be gaining performance at a 12' long barrel... and the handheld design went downhill from there.

The funny thing is, now I'm trying to downscale and increase portability and ease of use. However, since I'm so impressed with what my big guns can do, I want the same power, but in a handheld package. This gets rather difficult.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:48 am

haha, i think you can do it if you make your hybrid handheld...

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Don't worry spudfarm, the handheld launcher is on its way.

The near-complete hybrid project at the moment will only be capable of 10x, nowhere near high enough to make a handheld size worth it in my opinion.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: OuchProgramme » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Hmmm...the shot wasn't too impressive =/.

OuchProgramme
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:14 pm

That wasnt amazing but it is what you would expect from 10psi.
100psi should yield much better results .
I think the barrel diameter is overkill for the chamber size but I guess it doesnt matter that much but atleast maker the brreo longer as DYI mentioned.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Counterstriker » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:27 pm

bigbob12345 wrote:That wasnt amazing but it is what you would expect from 10psi.
I think the barrel diameter is overkill for the chamber size but I guess it doesnt matter that much but atleast maker the brreo longer as DYI mentioned.

..Read...

Counterstriker wrote:Ohh Yah I know I need a longer barrel. I have another longer barrel but it didn't fit the ammo in it. It wasn't met to be too impressive :D Sice I am still working the kinks outa the gay union.

Counterstriker
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: OuchProgramme » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Why dont you add a reducing coupler to a smaller barrel-In diameter- for better results?

OuchProgramme
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Counterstriker wrote:
bigbob12345 wrote:That wasnt amazing but it is what you would expect from 10psi.

..Read...

Counterstriker wrote:Ohh Yah I know I need a longer barrel. I have another longer barrel but it didn't fit the ammo in it. It wasn't met to be too impressive :D Sice I am still working the kinks outa the gay union.

Sorry, Ive really been really stupid lately.
Maybe I need to take a break from this forum to recover

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 pm

DYI wrote:The near-complete hybrid project at the moment will only be capable of 10x, nowhere near high enough to make a handheld size worth it in my opinion.

"Only" 10x mixes...

You underestimate the potential power that can be obtained from gases at temperatures of 4000F, and pressures of ~1000PSI.

Of course, that can be expected, as you have only dealt with <500PSI nitrogen at room temperature. Hot gases at double the pressure will make a massive difference.

You really should look into commercial firearms if you are only looking to get maximum power out of a handheld launcher. It is probably close to impossible to build something that fires spudgun sized ammo and meets or exceeds the muzzle energy of common hunting rifles, but is lightweight enough to be held in the average person's hands without causing bodily harm due to recoil forces.

EDIT: And I think I just figured out PCGUY's spudbux algorithm. I seem to have been substantially over complicating it.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database