Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Air Cane Coaxial

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Air Cane Coaxial

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sun May 11, 2008 1:05 am

This is my first coaxial, it's designed to look like a cane, I could obviously do a lot more to have it really look like a cane, but that gets into concealed weapons and is not worth it. It's also my first ever BB gun. The design is nothing new, but a whole lot of fun. Some features are:
-1/2" chamber about 1.5' long
-1/4" brakeline bb barrel
-Integral silencer (slightly more volume than barrel)
-1/2" epoxy piston with craft foam sealing face (works quite well)
-1/4" ball valve trigger
-All metal (high pressures possible when I replace or epoxy the schrader)

As far as power goes, it is awesome. At 150 psi, it shot a bb through six soda cans from about 2 feet away. It also shoots through top and bottom of two soda cans (more if I upped the pressure from 150). This bb gun is not exactly the model of efficiency, but it's very entertaining (and shiny).

My main issue right now is with the schrader, as it starts to bulge out of the endcap at high pressures, so I am debating whether or not to bite the bullet and buy a threaded schrader, or somehow epoxy this one in. Any advice?

Here are some pics, sorry for the blur.

Attachments
Picture 11.png
This is my trusty (400 psi capable) shock pump with female quick connect attached. The schrader in the endcap starts to really bulge out around 200 psi, so I am reluctant to take it any higher untill I do something about it.
Picture 9.png
You can see the entry hole through the opening in the can, and the exit on top.
Picture 3.png
Shoots straight through this can at 150 psi, and keeps on going. These damage pics aren't super creative, but I am pretty much limited to shooting recycling. The rod in there is to show the bb's path, it was not the projectile.
Picture 5.png
This is from the shooter's prospective (sort of), and you can see the slight bend in the joint between the chamber and the silencer, which throws off accuracy. On my next bb gun I will try harder for accuracy.
Picture 2.png
Firing system w/less pilot volume
Picture 1.png
This is the whole gun in it's more efficient form, with less pilot volume. The only issue with this is that when aiming, the pilot vents right into my ear or into my face. Annoying.
Silencer detached.jpg
This is the gun with the silencer detached, you can see one of the vents in the end of the barrel. The silencer is not really needed at the low pressures I use now, as the pilot makes a louder noise than the actual shot, although the difference is small.
Better Pilot.jpg
The more aesthetically pleasing (for me anyway) and ergonomic pilot system.
Picture 7.png
The Air Cane! The shininess is from polishing it with copper polish, getting rid of the sticker adhesive with Goo-Gone, and then spraying it with artist's acrylic fixative (I think that's the right term).
kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Sun May 11, 2008 1:17 am

Nice. I really like cane guns, I want to build one sometime.
Good idea to have an integral silencer.
I would suggest buy a metal shrader for a car they're not too expensive.
Also, you could leave the pilot valve more efficient but add a bent tube to the nipple on it.
I don't see why you don't want to make it look more like a cane, I think that would be better than walking around with an air rifle. :wink:

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jon_89 » Sun May 11, 2008 1:46 am

Looks good. I would switch to a blowgun though, but thats just me. Oh by the way I got the same shock pump.

jon_89
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sun May 11, 2008 1:48 am

Thanks for the compliments, I have had no luck with finding a threaded schrader locally, I called Kragen and the guy said they had it, but it turned out by "threaded metal tire valve" he meant the threads on the inlet that every schrader valve I have ever seen have. Uggh. I am not quite sure what you mean by "adding a bent tube to the nipple" (sounds kind of dirty out of context), please explain a little bit more if you don't mind.

I do not want it to look like too much like a cane, because I do not actually walk around with a cane (thank god), so I won't be walking around with it at all. Also, my parents are not too fond of concealed weapons I don't think. I might at some time temporarily make it look like a real cane, but not anytime soon.[/i]

Edit: I missed you post Jon, oops. I would switch to a blowgun, but I have used blowguns before on guns where both sides of it are pressurized, and it leaked like crazy. You're right though, a blowgun would be a nice trigger.

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Sun May 11, 2008 2:37 am

By adding a tube to the nipple on your ball valve similar to this
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/mitchos-musket-whammy-gun-mkii-t13839.html
you can have the smaller pilot volume and still have a rounded handle, because the air will flow through the handle like mitchza's design.

You could put copper or some other thinwall pipe in a manual pipe bender to get it rounded if you wanted that cane shape or use two fittings like the one on that gun.

That's all I meant. With the threaded shrader, if you go to an auto parts store sometimes they're in clear packages and you can see the threads.

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sun May 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Yeah, I like that idea, it would incorporate the best of both worlds. Thanks! I'll change it whenever I get to the hardware store again. For the threaded schrader, I'll look at other autoparts stores in the area (if there are any).

Anyone else have any feedback?

Bump. Anyone else have any thoughts? Another issue I am trying to figure out is how to silence the exhaust, and I would like to stick with the setup I have now, so an alternate fill point won't work for me.

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database