Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 82 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Paint Ball Land-Mine

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Paint Ball Land-Mine

Unread postAuthor: STHORNE » Mon May 26, 2008 10:52 pm

STHORNE's Paint Ball Land-Mine

Information:
I decided to make a pneumatic paintball mine actuated by a sprinkler valve. It works fairly simple; There is an air tank made from 1.5" pvc pipe (that doubles as the base/legs and also has pressure gauge, male quick connect nipple and quick connector for multiple fill methods), a 3/4" modified sprinkler valve (actuated by a safety pop-off valve), and the large bore 3" short barrel for "bird shot".
The barrel can be easily taken off/put back on and is set at a 45* angle to hit mid body/head at about 5-7 feet away. Closer and it hits mid body/knees.

How it works:
You simply fill up the air tank to the desired pressure (which can be anything up to 220 psi, I have to get a new pressure gauge btw) and load the paintballs. Then you tie a string around the end of the safety pop-off valve and tie the other end to a grounded object about 7-10 feet away, crossing a commonly used path. And it's set! When the wire is tripped, that pulls on the valve, actuating the sprinkler valve, allowing air to escape and shoot the paintballs at the victim. Muahahahaha... :twisted:

I have more plans/designs I plan on implementing on the overall design in the future to make it very compact yet powerful. some of which include a built-in bike pump for on-field pressurizing and others, pressurized air canisters. But for now, this is just the first version of a long line of PBLMs to come.
And don't worry about anything leaking or malfunctioning, Everything is pressure rated up to 220 psi and not a single leak. I pressurized it up to 80 psi and it didn't drop 1 psi for 3 hrs! After that it lost it's first psi lol...

Once completed, this PBLM is for sale! Price is still undecided but these are the things I plan on doing before putting it out on the market:
*buy a 1-300 psi pressure gauge and replace
*buy a 350 psi safety pop-off valve and replace blowgun with it
*remove solenoid and fill with epoxy
*give it a paint job (any type, but I am taking requests from the final buyer on what type of paint job s/he wants)
*make a camo net to cover it/disguise it and add some branches, leaves, twigs, etc. for more camouflage

The results are amazing at just 75 psi. Can't wait to test it tomorrow at 120 psi :D So if any of you are interested in buying, please pm me and I will get the show on the road. I didn't post in the class fields because it isn't quite done yet and I would like some feedback before I put it up for sale on how I can improve it (besides what I already plan on doing to it).

Don't worry, it's not put together with electrical tape...I just put that there to hide the ugly purple primer stains.
So anyway, I will post a video or two soon once I get the pop-off valve.
Tell me what you think and ENJOY!!! :wink: :D

Attachments
pmine6.PNG
The Detachable Barrel:
3" diameter
7" length
Max Paintball storage: 45-50
Performance : :D
pmine5.PNG
See how the barrel comes off?...
pmine4.PNG
Close-up of the Sprinkler valve. I will get some epoxy tomorrow and get rid of that fricken solenoid, ran out a couple days ago. And I gotta get myself that damn pop-off valve, those things are so hard to find at hardware stores, I was thinking about stealing one off a air compressor at home depot, lol jk. The blowgun was just to test the system out cause I couldn't wait lol.
pmine3.JPG
Close-up of fill valves and beat up pressure gauge (don't worry, that pressure gauge will be gone by tomorrow!
pmine3.JPG (22.44 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
pmine2.PNG
front view of the monster at floor height.
pmine1.PNG
Last edited by STHORNE on Mon May 26, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
STHORNE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Mon May 26, 2008 10:57 pm

Pretty cool man, how are you planning on "detonating" it? Is it meant to be buried?

biggsauce
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: STHORNE » Mon May 26, 2008 11:01 pm

biggsauce wrote:how are you planning on "detonating" it?

STHORNE wrote:When the wire is tripped, that pulls on the valve, actuating the sprinkler valve, allowing air to escape and shoot the paintballs at the victim.

biggsauce wrote:Is it meant to be buried?

STHORNE wrote:make a camo net to cover it/disguise it and add some branches, leaves, twigs, etc. for more camouflage

Above Ground.

Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
STHORNE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Tue May 27, 2008 12:00 am

Reminds me of cant remember who it was but he made a BB Claymore/land mine. Nice work mat :thumbright:

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Tue May 27, 2008 12:08 am

Seems like you would want to angle it down a little more, so that it would fire across the trip line, rather than up at their face, or miss them entirely if they tripped the trip line from farther away. I know it would be hard, as they dont really make fittings at that angle, but you could improvise it with two 90deg elbows. I am thinking around 10deg from horizontal, so that the spray covers parallel to the ground and spreads up their legs.
If you dont get what I mean I will try to make a diagram for you later.

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Tue May 27, 2008 1:06 am

Nice and simple dsign there, I like it.

Just to point out though, The sprinkle valve won't handle 220 psi without the diagphram (sp?) ripping or risking the body of the valve breaking. 150 psi is a good pressure and 200 psi I would say should be max, and thats with some major modifications.

That aside, I like the pop off idea and the whole set up in general.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:04 pm

huh, very nice job there STHORNE

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Tue May 27, 2008 8:12 pm

STHORNE wrote:
biggsauce wrote:how are you planning on "detonating" it?

STHORNE wrote:When the wire is tripped, that pulls on the valve, actuating the sprinkler valve, allowing air to escape and shoot the paintballs at the victim.

biggsauce wrote:Is it meant to be buried?

STHORNE wrote:make a camo net to cover it/disguise it and add some branches, leaves, twigs, etc. for more camouflage

Above Ground.

so... it was late. still embarassing though.. :oops:

biggsauce
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: mike1010 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 pm

try making it a little more concealed i dont think you would be able to miss the bright white pipe but it is a great looking cannon.

mike1010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Wed May 28, 2008 11:23 pm

mike1010 wrote:try making it a little more concealed i dont think you would be able to miss the bright white pipe

STHORNE wrote:Once completed, this PBLM is for sale! Price is still undecided but these are the things I plan on doing before putting it out on the market:...
...*make a camo net to cover it/disguise it and add some branches, leaves, twigs, etc. for more camouflage...

Read...

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Wed May 28, 2008 11:56 pm

This reading problem seems to be going around. :?
I have always thought that paintball mines would be a bit cumbersome, but either way I still think you did a very nice job on it. I think it is interesting how this is the first mine I have seen that uses a blowgun as apposed to electrical actuation.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: mike1010 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote:
mike1010 wrote:try making it a little more concealed i dont think you would be able to miss the bright white pipe

STHORNE wrote:Once completed, this PBLM is for sale! Price is still undecided but these are the things I plan on doing before putting it out on the market:...
...*make a camo net to cover it/disguise it and add some branches, leaves, twigs, etc. for more camouflage...

Read...

oops, my bad still a nice cannon though, did you eer think of making one mount overhead on a tree or something? might be a little different.

mike1010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: kostaki » Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 pm

A tree mount would be a good idea but how would he keep the paint balls in, maybe glad press and seal wrap would work

kostaki
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: colty-bear » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:04 pm

couldent you use one of these instead of blowgun valve and just tie string to ring on this?
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/air/DSC08510.jpg

colty-bear
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:30 am

The pop off valves are probably going to be too stiff for this purpose. The string will surely break before the popoff opens. Then, if it does manage to open, it is only going to stay open very briefly, which will not allow all of the launcher (or mine, whatever) to fire.

Personally, I think a ball valve is superior to this application than any other type of valve, considering it is set up properly. :wink:

Are you trying to build a mine? If so, I got a few thoughts I might can toss at you for you to play with...

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database