Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 60 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], csitas, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Paintball Hammer Valve Prototype

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Paintball Hammer Valve Prototype

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat May 31, 2008 12:53 pm

If you excuse the fact its F***ing ugly, this is proboably one of my better creations.

the main air tank is a Fire extinguisher, and instead of using ALL the air in one firing, i took the spring out of a nerf gun and constructed a hammer system.

All in all, at 250 PSI it shoots a .68 cal Paintball a good 300 FPS.... right where you want it. and with the chamber that size, i get a good 15 shots untill power drops off exponentially. pretty cool.

The barrel is 10 inches of 1/2 inch SDR21 pipe i found at the bottom of a river........

no internal pics on this as well...... sorry...... it sould be self-explanitory.

Attachments
Pics 005.jpg
The Gun....
Pics 006.jpg
The Trigger Assembley.... nothing too special
Pics 007.jpg
A closeup of the "valve". its just the top of the fire exinguisher.
Last edited by VH_man on Sat May 31, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: STHORNE » Sat May 31, 2008 1:21 pm

very nice. it would look A LOT better if you used hose clamps instead of tape, but all in all...very nice.

A video (or 2) and more pictures would be nice :lol:

Also, just wondering, what fittings did you use for the fire extinguisher/how did you modify it to be used as a chamber? People have had a lot of different methods and I am just curious if you have yet made another method, or if it is one of the many. Because (I'm sure you know) fire extinguishers aren't exactly "easy" to modify and make a chamber out of (as far as fittings go).

Again, nice work!

Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
STHORNE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Sat May 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Very trippy mate. :? . I like the theory and working components of it.

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Sat May 31, 2008 6:26 pm

Does anyone have any info or links on how exactly hammer valves work? I get the general idea, but I can't figure out how to get the valve to reset consistently. I have been following the work on the 35bar repeater, but still don't entirely grasp the concept.

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat May 31, 2008 6:40 pm

agh i wish i could make videos but my pump hose blew up when i was filling my stick gun!! AGH oh well. i will post them eventually. as for more pictures there really isnt much else to see......

im sorry if i didnt clarify, but the fire extinquisher was left intact. all that i did was cut off the unnececary parts and epoxy a peice of pipe over it. it works quite well as a hammer valve. just by itself.

@lentamentalisk: To be quite honest i dont grasp the concept either..... all i know is that it works......

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm

VH_man wrote: To be quite honest i dont grasp the concept either..... all i know is that it works......

There's not a lot to grasp. A striker whacks open a piston and lets out a tiny bit of air. Some re-seat the hammer with the escaping gasses, but most are just manually reset.
EDIT- If "L" was referring to the sealing piston re-seating, theres a spring behind it. That in combination of the pressure keep it closed and in place.
Hope that helped.

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat May 31, 2008 9:08 pm

ohhh thats what you mean........ i thought that you meant making the valve itself close agian...... whatever.

mine does not re-seat the hammer, although judging by the air "poof" given off it sure as hell could.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sat May 31, 2008 9:12 pm

So did you just chop the handle off of the extinguisher and replace it with a hammer? Genius. Are the internal similar to those of shop blowguns?

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat May 31, 2008 9:18 pm

So did you just chop the handle off of the extinguisher and replace it with a hammer? Genius. Are the internal similar to those of shop blowguns?

yes that is what i did. Well put..... for some reason i never can say things consicely.....

it is somewhat the same. except the diameter of the valve is about .5" instead of the .25 a blowgun gives you, making it usable for larger calibre guns like paintball guns. (plus the fact it comes convinently attached to a tank capable of withstanding a good 300 PSI)

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sat May 31, 2008 9:23 pm

And you using a "pinball" type hammer? Or a proper one with a sear?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, I've taken an interest in hammer valves lately.

-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat May 31, 2008 9:26 pm

it has a proper sear. the "pinball" style is not accurate enough for my tastes....

its the little aluminum thing underneath the peice of pipe coming off of the head of the fire extinguisher (god thats a mouthful)

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FordGtMan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:09 am

agh i wish i could make videos but my pump hose blew up when i was filling my stick gun!!

Same thing happened to me the other day filling up my mini! :shock:

Interesting design there. Doesn't matter if it is F***ing ugly as long as it works! :)

People call me ThunderChunks...I dont even know why...
Got a Gamertag?, mines KillerHedgeHog3, add me :)
FordGtMan
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:13 am

FordGtMan wrote:Interesting design there. Doesn't matter if it is F***ing ugly as long as it works! :)

Haha thank you. Expect a prettier one soon that runs off of CO2........ if i get money.......

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database