Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Paintball / airsoft grenade launcher

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Paintball / airsoft grenade launcher

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Alright, the design of this gun has been changed several times.
Originally, the idea began it's life as a movie prop for a hinge-action grenade pistol, much like what is used in the game killzone.

Then, I decided that if I was gonna spend my time on it, it might as well sere a purpose for things other than movies and I would just have to edit n a flying grenade in my movies. So from there I designed a co2 powered, hinge-action model for airsoft grenades that would work with actual airsoft and paintball grenades.

Again, this idea changed when I discovered this site when I saw a thread about preloaded burst disk cartridges (someone told me about after I asked about what material I should use for an m203 style gl). It would make my launcher idea so much more economical to use these.

So, finally (until I design a good m203 looking gl) I came up with a mini, tommy gun style grenade launcher for airsoft. The body is 1" pipe, the cartridge shell is 3/4 inch pipe.

Here, is the gun without a cartridge, it's about ten inches long. It will work with a co2 inflator that connects to the back.

Here's the 4" long cartridge, it has a threaded coupling that I use to screw it on to the gun

I used 3/4" pipe for the body of the shell. Inside are four bic pen tubes that have been cut in half.Each shell holds about 36 bb's (nine bbs a tube)

Here's a pic of the threaded end. I used hot glu to put the tubes in place and added a little ridge on the tubes to allow air thru but keep bbs in.

Here's the full body with shell. I call it a tommy gun style because I plan on putting a drum in front of the endcap on back to clip shells around it.

Thanks for checking out my gun. I credit Davidvaini for his awesome design about preloaded cartridges. Please leave any thoughts you have (positive and negative) about my gun.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27 pm

hey looks really goodd.. with a nice coat of paint it will be pretty cool..

I'm seeing a lot of my designs being used lately and its really nice...

Haveyou fired it yet? If so do you like how loud it is?

I just want to get more peoples opinions on my designs that have actually tried them.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:47 am

O yeah, sorry. I forgot to post more specs about my gun. I'm gonna give it an ovlie drab paint finish.

Yes, I've fired it. From about three feet away, loaded with about 36 bb's I got a 5 inch spread. I'm using four sheets of aluminum foil as a burst disk.

It's not too loud right now, maybe about the same as popping a balloon.

I'll post up damage pics soon and a video.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:14 am

cool gun. :D I like it

if you live in Ohio join the Ohio Spud Gun and BBMG Association at http://www.ohiosga.webs.com
jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:24 pm

Here's some pics of the welts on my friend and I from the gun.
I make a policy of not shooting anybody with something I would never let anyone shoot me with.
I used three layers of foil in both shells in these pics. The gun was fired from ten feet away.
The light setting on my camera wasn't good enough to pick up the welts on the first pic.

Here's a full pic of the gun I never posted.

Right now I am working on a mortar and an immediately usable gun clip for the gl.(it will be able to shoot them within two second increments.)

Oh and yes David, I love the sound that comes with the gun.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:55 pm

Nice launcher.I would try to incorporate a bolt action into the gun for the coolness factor.

I can't really see the welts on any of the pictures.

I don't think david used and barrels on his cartridges.Can you get some damage pics with and with out the barrels on cardboard?

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:15 pm

I don't think david used and barrels on his cartridges.Can you get some damage pics with and with out the barrels on cardboard?

Yes! This is actually what I'm working on right now. That was a big important factor for me is the spread. Right now the spread is kindof uneconomical for distance fighting in airsoft. I'm not sure how much adding a barrel would reduce the power though.

I was actually thinking about a bolt-action launcher. I like this gun because it can be modded so many way right now with the threaded end. (like the drum clip, barrels, or even a bolt-action end).

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:26 pm

I circled the welts cuz I was bored.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:46 pm

SP00K wrote:

Yes! This is actually what I'm working on right now. That was a big important factor for me is the spread. Right now the spread is kindof uneconomical for distance fighting in airsoft. I'm not sure how much adding a barrel would reduce the power though.

I was actually thinking about a bolt-action launcher. I like this gun because it can be modded so many way right now with the threaded end. (like the drum clip, barrels, or even a bolt-action end).

What are the tubes for in the shells then?

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:51 pm

jonnyboy wrote:What are the tubes for in the shells then?

My guess is to make the spread of the shot to be less.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:51 pm

It adds more power to the gun. More air pressure is being directly applied to bb's instead of having a free for all if you will where some of the bb's will fall out of the barrel and some will go flying (quite possible straight up).

I tested it with a barrel and pretty much shot myself with it and there doesn't really seem to be any huge reduction in power.

For the barrels, I just stuck in a a foot long piece of 3/4" pipe into the end of the coupling.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:30 pm

@SPOOK

I'm not following your thoughts here. In the picture you can clearly see pen tubes aka barrels, then you say you are unsure about power reduction from the barrels and now you say it doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure weather or not I was being confusing, I'm asking about the spread of the bbs with and without the directing tubes. When you do this can you do it on cardboard?

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:37 pm

OHH! I see what you're saying. I am referring to adding a barrel to the end of the cartridge. I wasn't eally implying anything about the pen tubes inside the shells themselves. I never really meant to say the tubes in the shells were barrels.

Here you can see where id put the barrel.

When I test it on cardboard, I'll do it with a barrel, without a barrel, and a then one where I don't use a cartridge with pentubes.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Alright thanks for clearing things up. :)

I think your going to get poor performance with the barrel. Unlike a cloud the air won't be sustained long enough to agitate all the bbs out.

I do like the idea of guiding barrels for a tighter grouping. I would recommend you test at twenty feet or longer for a good feel on efficiency.

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:35 pm

At about twenty feet, there's a somewhat good chance the person you're aiming at won't get hit at all. I think the only way to fix this is to make the cartridges longer (with longer guide tubes inside).

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database