Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 80 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

The Gutmenduff Mk1.3

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm

PVC Arsenal 17 wrote:A detent is a must. However if you make the breech slightly offset, the stack below the current shell will act as a detent.

Edit: I forgot to comment on your QEV. Your inlet to the barrel is located behind the breech. Is the bolt flow through? Or are you simply using the cylinder's rod (no close fit) and ignoring air lost out of the breech opening?

I didnt mention it very well, But the Bolt is Blow-through. I shall post a picture of it. I decided that as a nerf gun, Dead space wasnt really a worry.

That and the bolt/reciever seal is almost perfect. the Schedule 80 is lined with 17/32 brass, which fits my aluminum tube PERFECT.

Also, for your design, Why not simply have a QEV that gives a little "puff" of air to "blow" out the shell? It would be far more compact, and best of all, No moving parts :D

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: btrettel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:40 pm

That dead space isn't necessarily bad. I've noticed as I wrote my air gun simulation that some dead space between the valve and projectile is beneficial and helps efficiency. GGDT verified that it wasn't an error in my simulation. So don't think it's hurting performance. It could easily be improving your performance.

Last edited by btrettel on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All spud gun related projects are currently on hold.

btrettel
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:42 pm

Ah I see. Blow through is good. Wouldn't want too much of that air to leak out and diminish power & efficiency.

What size Al tube fits inside the 17/32 brass?

As for a QEV to blow the shells out, I could try it. But spring pressure might hold the shells too tight to be pushed out easily. If I had a vertical gravity fed mag it's quite possible. If I am able to do it, I absolutely will. The less moving parts the better.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: btrettel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:47 pm

To fit in 17/32 brass a tube should have an OD of 0.5 inches. McMaster-Carr page 3613 shows the entire range of telescoping brass tubes so you can get an idea of what fits in what.

btrettel
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Yea, its 1/2in Aluminum. Works great.

And if you dont mind, PVC arsenal, I am going to make an attempt at your shell design. Its just so simple I cant resist... Not to mention has such a "cool" factor.....

And it would be so compact too! gah. This is why I love and hate this site.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FishBoy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Very nice, it seems to cycle very smoothly. Are you planning on keeping the slide valve as the trigger (and btw, where did you get that?)? Haha with my ADD I would sit four hours just cycling that thing :D

"You polish a turd, it's still a turd"

Remember DYI!!!
FishBoy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Dang, I look forward to seeing your nifty new trigger setup... cause I'm using a similar design...

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:05 am

FishBoy wrote:Very nice, it seems to cycle very smoothly. Are you planning on keeping the slide valve as the trigger (and btw, where did you get that?)? Haha with my ADD I would sit four hours just cycling that thing :D

haha I do that....... Its very fun......
And i got the slide valve off mcmaster. just search for slide valve.

hailfire753 wrote:Dang, I look forward to seeing your nifty new trigger setup... cause I'm using a similar design...

its a normally closed 3 way valve attached to a special mechanism (a rod and spring) that keeps the valve depressed normally and releases the valve when the trigger is pulled.

also, you need a small QEV to pilot the 1/4in one. for this im using one of those mcmaster inline valves, of which you cant change where the exhaust goes.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 am

dumb noob question from me: what are single acting cylinders?

And great gun, try t get some one to film the nerf war, would be an awsome youtube vid! Oh and how about having multiple mags, it would be even more effective to gain en extra: holy **** he is gonna kick our ***es factor...dont you think?

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: btrettel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 am

The first result on Google for single acting cylinders has a good explanation and informative pictures: http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/1410 ... 05_156.htm

Single acting cylinders basically are the most common form of air cylinder out there. Single acting cylinders can only move in one direction. Double acting ones are the ones with holes on either end so they can be forced to move in either direction.

Edit: I actually have the document I linked to in PDF form. If I remember correctly it's some US Navy book on basic fluid power.

Last edited by btrettel on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

btrettel
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 am

ok, thanks, off i go to have a little readanything is better than writing an essay in FRENCH!!!

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 am

nice gun....

I see there are more and more guns based on air cylinders... I am not quite happy that most of them fire nerfs but oh well... who cares it's still cool
:wink:

EDIT
how did you join the air cylinder with the bolt ?

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 am

A qev piloted by another qev? I know the part you plan to use, but isnt it a little overkill?

UPDATED MARCH '08
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Hailfire753 wrote:A qev piloted by another qev? I know the part you plan to use, but isnt it a little overkill?

in order to pilot my 1/4in QEV with my 3 way valve, Yes I do need another QEV.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Low flow 3-way, then? Is it one of those custom made, push button ones mentioned in an earlier thread? Do you have a link?

UPDATED MARCH '08
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database