Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

.700 Desert Storm

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
.700 Desert Storm

Unread postAuthor: Pookydarts » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:45 am

Hi Guys! (And girls?)
Okay, I've been holding out on you, I've been working on this new project for a few weeks now and really wanted to wait 'til it was complete with a stock and a paintjob and everything before I posted it but I got it running yesterday and broke the stock in half today and well... you know how it is...
So, its a copper/brass/stainless piston valve pneumatic running on good old-fashioned squished air. The chamber is about 3 feet of 1" class 'm' copper and holds 650mls of water, the barrel is 1m of 3/4" stainless (with an ID of near enough to .700 of an inch, hence the name...)
The piston is delrin, turned on a wood lathe (as were many of the brass parts... :oops: don't try this at home...) with a tap washer that i threaded and screwed in as the sealing face, the whole piston weighs 25 grams. It had an o-ring but it sealed too well so I pulled it out and it functions perfectly without it.
The projectile is (was) a 310 grain pure lead .430 (44 mag) slug stuck in a silicone nozzle and half-filled with 5min epoxy. May have to re-think the projectiles as I suspect some of the 'skirts' may be blowing apart in the barrel.
The shot in the photo (@200psi) went over the chronograph, through a plank of marine grade 9-ply and stopped up against the steel plate back-stop.
Projectile weight 25 grams (385 grains) @ 343 fps = 100.55 ft/lbs!
:P :P :P :P

Edit: I have added a new 'progress' photo of the stock now nearing completion, but had to remove a few photos of the piston etc to fit it in...
Enjoy!

Attachments
Damage Inc..JPG
Damage Inc..JPG (28.36 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
Piston Dissassemb.JPG
Piston Dissassemb.JPG (28.46 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
DesertStorm.JPG
DesertStorm.JPG (37.1 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
DesertStormProgress.JPG
DesertStormProgress.JPG (33.49 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
Last edited by Pookydarts on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pookydarts
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:00 am

Nice, is part of that piston one of the tap washer things? Cool build..I'd just do a stock and polish up the copper nicely...then you have one mother of a gun.

Good works

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 am

Nice gun.

Although your chamber is HUGE. I bet this thing is loud. :D If you play around with ggdt you can find the best chamber to barrel size it looks like it should be about 1/3 of the current set up .

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 am

jonnyboy wrote:If you play around with ggdt you can find the best chamber to barrel size it looks like it should be about 1/3 of the current set up .

Define "best". All GGDT's optimiser tells you is the smallest size chamber you should be using for the barrel.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:51 am

Nicely done :) you might want to check if 12 gauge shotgun sabots fit in the bore, proper slugs would make much mroe relaible ammunition ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: .700 Desert Storm

Unread postAuthor: SpudsMcGee » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Pookydarts wrote:The projectile is (was) a 310 grain pure lead .430 (44 mag) slug stuck in a silicone nozzle and half-filled with 5min epoxy.

Can you explain that better, how are they lead and epoxy?

Edit: Oh yeah, nice job... it looks very good. And powerful...

Last edited by SpudsMcGee on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\_/)
(o.o)
(><)

Current Project: Slasher Valve
SpudsMcGee
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Indeed, nicely done.

Good job using a wood lathe to turn your piston. Looks like you put some thought into it.

If you wanted to try the o-ring again, all you need to do is drill a shallow hole into the side of the piston.

Drill the hole so that it is "half" in the o-ring groove, and "half" on the chamber side of the o-ring groove.

It's time to try increasing the chamber pressure. :twisted:

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: daniel323 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:58 pm

great cannon love the design

daniel323
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Pookydarts » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Good job using a wood lathe to turn your piston. Looks like you put some thought into it.

Gippeto,

I must give credit where it it due, the piston was modelled off your 'protruding' past the bearing surface piston from your copper gun, the only thing I could do to make it different was 'skeletonise' it for weight saving.

Nicely done you might want to check if 12 gauge shotgun sabots fit in the bore, proper slugs would make much mroe relaible ammunition

Jack,

I'm hoping that to be the case! I picked up a wad a few months ago that fitted that barrel tube perfectly but now that I go looking again all the wads seem to be of a different type with a slightly over-bore diameter! Will have to change brands!

Johnnyboy and Ragnaroc,

Yes, the chamber is oversize, (by how much I don't know because after downloading ggdt three times and spending two hours trying to make it go I still can't get it to even open! ) (Computers are not my specialty... :( )

The idea was that this would be my final gun and I didn't want to make it too small and have leftover performance questions, so I havn't been to town yet to buy a 3m barrel to put on it!
(Having said that, the chamber will probably be shortened to make it look more in proportion and save filling time!)

Now I have to learn more about annealing as I would have annealed the copper as I was silver-soldering! Ooops!

And build a high-pressure hand pump!
:)

Attachments
IMG_0277comp.JPG
IMG_0277comp.JPG (27.13 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
Pookydarts
Corporal
Corporal

Re: .700 Desert Storm

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Pookydarts wrote:May have to re-think the projectiles as I suspect some of the 'skirts' may be blowing apart in the barrel.

Just as a point of information, there is a proper name for your "skirts". It's called a "sabot."

Now, before somebody pipes up and says that sabots are not part of the projectile, I'll point out that there are two types of sabot.

Discarding.

Non-discarding.

Most people are familiar with discarding sabots. Your's is of the non-discarding type.

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
jonnyboy wrote:If you play around with ggdt you can find the best chamber to barrel size it looks like it should be about 1/3 of the current set up .

Define "best". All GGDT's optimiser tells you is the smallest size chamber you should be using for the barrel.

When your feet per second gain is very low for say 6 extra inches of chamber. But if you already bought it you might as well use it!

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:10 pm

Looks fantastic, I like your ammo, looks very stable and powerful, and I don't believe I've ever seen that method of having an over under cannon before,

Overall just awesome looking!

hope to see some more elaborate damage pictures in the future.

Add me on MSN to chat about whatever!
sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:38 pm

I like the side by side, lane change design, really just for the different look and uniqueness of it. It might not hurt to tie them together to keep them from clanking against each other.

Great work on your piston, and the cannon overall!!

Last edited by starman on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Yes, the chamber is oversize, (by how much I don't know because after downloading ggdt three times and spending two hours trying to make it go I still can't get it to even open! ) (Computers are not my specialty... Sad )

I believe you have to have all the files in one folder becuase they use each other to make the program work if that's not the case I would contact D_hall

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Pookydarts » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:10 am

Dear God!

IT WORKS!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

I'm going to be playing with GGDT for the next few weeks!

Many thanks to D_Hall and Johnnyboy! Also for telling me about the sabots, you were right, I DID mostly think of them as discarding!

Cheers sputnick! I tested the assymetric 'sideways' O/U idea on my PVC sprinkler valve gun: "First Submission"
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/first-submission-t16896.html
...This gun (with a 1.5m sleeved barrel upgrade) at 150psi shot a 225grain projectile at 434fps for 94ft/lbs... I was slightly miffed that I "only" got 100ft/lbs out of this new copper creation... What would you like to see shot?

Starman, the barrel will get fastened during the future upgrades... And I hope it will deserve sights too!

Cheers! :)

Pookydarts
Corporal
Corporal

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database