Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Finnaly The 2SVGBG

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Finnaly The 2SVGBG

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:12 pm

First of I want to thank everyone who helped me modify this valve. The name stands for 2" inch sprinkler valve golf ball gun. I ordered the valve 4 months ago without even an idea of what gun to build. I would have had this finished, but I was waiting for my golf ball barrel from BCArms. It took 2 months to get here! Enough rambling here are some specs and pics.

Specs:

Valve: 2" Sprinkler Valve
Pilot: 3/8" ball valve ( I plan to upgrade to a QEV in the near future)
Fill valve: Schrader
Barrel: 4' of 1 1/2" sdr 21 golf ball barrel. ( I will be getting a tennis ball barrel soon!)
Chambers: 2-2"x36"
Usual operating pressure: 60-120psi

Sorry the pics are blurry but my camera is crap. Damage pictures and videos will hopefully be up tomorrow.

I currently don't have the golf ball barrel sleeved. Is it still safe to shoot at 120psi?

Attachments
valve, pilot, gauge, fill valve.jpg
full view 2.jpg
Full view.jpg
close up of valve and pilot.jpg
LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:33 pm

Nice gun the sprinkler looks nice. Where did you get it?

I wouldn't waste my money on a qev, I would build a piston valve that pilots off a blowgun.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I got the sprinkler valve of ebay. It cost me $48. Well I have limited tools so it's hard to make a piston. I am going to make a QEV gun anyway, so I could just unscrew it and use it as a pilot also.

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 pm

lctchamp wrote:I got the sprinkler valve of ebay. It cost me $48. Well I have limited tools so it's hard to make a piston. I am going to make a QEV gun anyway, so I could just unscrew it and use it as a pilot also.

The piston on my gun is epoxy that was cast in the some id pipe.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 pm

jonnyboy wrote:
lctchamp wrote:I got the sprinkler valve of ebay. It cost me $48. Well I have limited tools so it's hard to make a piston. I am going to make a QEV gun anyway, so I could just unscrew it and use it as a pilot also.

I may go this route.
Do you think it is safe to shoot at 120psi even though the barrel isn't sleeved?

Edit: Horay!!! 100th post :wav:

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:01 pm

lctchamp wrote:
jonnyboy wrote:

I may go this route.
Do you think it is safe to shoot at 120psi even though the barrel isn't sleeved?

Edit: Horay!!! 100th post :wav:

sdr 21 is rated above 120 psi I think. Make sure to double check. If it is as long as you don't have barrel flex you should be fine, although I don't think I saw any in your pictures

Oh and holding the camera still may get you better pictures.

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 am

Ictchamp: I use my unsleeved gb barrel all the time. I've never had any problems, even when shooting in sub-freezing temperatures (note that I always use eye protection though).

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 am

very nice work mate! damage needed though!

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Carlman wrote:very nice work mate! damage needed though!

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have anything to destroy at the moment, so damage will have to wait. I assure you it will come.

I stopped into my hardware store to see if they had some 2 1/2 pipe. The guy working is a close friend of mine and he said they had it in conduit. So he cut me a 4' piece, and I asked how much. He said take it it's on the house as long as you let me shoot it later. So as soon as I get a 2 X 2 1/2 reducer I'll be shooting tennis balls.

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Well I hooked up my compressor today and let the gun fill for about thirty seconds. I looked at the gauge and it said 0 psi. The air was going straight through the barrel. I took the valve apart and cleaned the diaphragm, but it still leaks :evil:. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database