Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 45 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MCRKilljoy based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

QEV+popoff experiment - update: NOW WITH AMMO!

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:35 am

@ psycix it might be easier to use a QEV + solenoid spool valve combo for ease of adjusting ROF and improving performance as well as reducing loss of air (but that would require electronics)..

anyway... as I said earlier getting it to fire real ammo with good performance is the biggest challenge here.. what you did so far was just joining several fittings toghether... implementing a blowforward bolt is going to be a PITA.. I wish you well but I've been there.... and seriously that was a traumatic experience...

you might have better luck with machined parts but.... uhmm you know
  • 0

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
User avatar
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm
Country: Israel (il)
Reputation: 10

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:38 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:@ psycix it might be easier to use a QEV + solenoid spool valve combo for ease of adjusting ROF and improving performance as well as reducing loss of air (but that would require electronics)..


see what I meant ;)
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:43 am

Guess it would dfinately be parroting to say "Awesome..." :wink:

Just wondered, what size QEV is on the big version?
(Maybe I missed it)
I've been avoiding the pop-off pilot because I'm thinking of a large bore myself.

Any Idea what you will build the BFB from?
I suppose a reducer bushing with larger iron/steel pipe (Brass nipple pipe is prob. better) for the bolt housing, and maybe a coupling on the bolt housing.
The mag could be a "T" for round shot.

Not too complicated, but it's cool you have the attention of the "Masters" to consult here.

BTW, cool Dutch accent and vid, you could go to L.A. or even Hollywood probably and get some hot mamas some day!!! :P :P 8)
  • 0

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:57 am

Damn..I should go too then...


Large QEV is 1/2" ....
  • 0

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
User avatar
Brian the brain
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3494
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:06 am
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands (nl)
Reputation: 29

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 am

THUNDERLORD wrote:I've been avoiding the pop-off pilot because I'm thinking of a large bore myself.


I'm sure a 1/4" pop-off valve could pilot a 2 inch piston if you stick to d/4 rules.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:31 am

THUNDERLORD wrote:Just wondered, what size QEV is on the big version?
(Maybe I missed it)
I've been avoiding the pop-off pilot because I'm thinking of a large bore myself.
Thats this gun.


THUNDERLORD wrote:Any Idea what you will build the BFB from?
I suppose a reducer bushing with larger iron/steel pipe (Brass nipple pipe is prob. better) for the bolt housing, and maybe a coupling on the bolt housing.
The mag could be a "T" for round shot.

Too much trouble. I am going to machine it out of a shiny block of aluminium. With threaded connections and no need for epoxy AT ALL.

----------

I am going to try to full-auto the larger gun tomorrow. Ohh man that will be loud. I wonder how many shots it will get out of the FE, and just as interesting: how fast...

----------

Spool valve? No way!
  • 0

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
User avatar
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am
Location: The Netherlands
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:42 pm

hey mind If I use this design to create an airsoft version?
  • 0

User avatar
Davidvaini
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:58 pm
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Davidvaini wrote:hey mind If I use this design to create an airsoft version?

Methinks a qev may be a little overkill for airsoft. :roll: But of course this is davidvaini. :wink: Now maybe .5g with hpa but that may be a tad over a fields limits.


Actually that would be funny, take that beast to a field and try to get into a game with it. Insist that there chrono is broken and your gun is actually only shooting mach 2. :D Then maybe volunteer to show how weak it is by putting an airsoft bb through a 2x4.
  • 0

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
User avatar
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Williamston MI USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 pm

jonnyboy wrote:
Davidvaini wrote:hey mind If I use this design to create an airsoft version?

Methinks a qev may be a little overkill for airsoft. :roll: But of course this is davidvaini. :wink: Now maybe .5g with hpa but that may be a tad over a fields limits.


Actually that would be funny, take that beast to a field and try to get into a game with it. Insist that there chrono is broken and your gun is actually only shooting mach 2. :D Then maybe volunteer to show how weak it is by putting an airsoft bb through a 2x4.


haha eh, Ill just run lower pressures if I have to. Even if its not skirmishable Id still want to make one.

I already did a quick sketch including feeding mech, fuel source and magazines.
  • 0

User avatar
Davidvaini
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:58 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:44 am

Davidvaini wrote:I already did a quick sketch including feeding mech, fuel source and magazines.


I would think if you too your idea here and hooked it up to a QEV-popoff setup you'd get a very powerful launcher, perhaps something that could simulate an emplaced heavy machinegun in airsoft combat, used for long range only.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Davidvaini wrote:I already did a quick sketch including feeding mech, fuel source and magazines.


I would think if you too your idea here and hooked it up to a QEV-popoff setup you'd get a very powerful launcher, perhaps something that could simulate an emplaced heavy machinegun in airsoft combat, used for long range only.


that was the idea :D
  • 0

User avatar
Davidvaini
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:58 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:12 am

@jsr&david
damn it!!

I was thinking about the same thing on my way to work

EDIT
What is the pressure rating of hopups ?

I was about to ask if they are ones made from metal... well it seems there are.. if it's that part -> http://www.ceneo.pl/showPicture.aspx?productID=1213989
  • 0

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
User avatar
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm
Country: Israel (il)
Reputation: 10

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:30 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:What is the pressure rating of hopups?


I reckon you could put at least 300 psi through one without having it blow up, it's only for a brief amount of time and it's not really a sealed system anyway.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:41 am

Davidvaini wrote:hey mind If I use this design to create an airsoft version?

I'd love it! Go ahead.
By the way, the popoff design was not my idea. Is an old concept. I just was the one giving it a shot.

Today I will hopefully be finish designing the blow forward (ffs stuf is so small!)
And if I'm lucky I can actually machine stuff tomorrow! Then I just need to go by BTB to get stuff threaded. I couldn't find any reasonably priced tap sets yet.
  • 0

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
User avatar
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am
Location: The Netherlands
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:22 am

Great work, That is excellent, what a beautiful sound.

Looks like a larger version of this system will have to be my next project :twisted: Time to start working on a very strong blow forward breech. Has anybody experimented using a piston valve with pop-off before, i'm guessing you would have a much reduced ROF.

subsonic
  • 0

User avatar
SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:55 am
Location: Australia
Reputation: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MCRKilljoy

Reputation System ©'