Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 46 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

2 inch piston cannon comment please

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
2 inch piston cannon comment please

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:30 pm

specs:
valve:barrel sealing piston
operating pressure:10-120psi
piston: 2 inch solid pvc piston
power:ggdt says 400 fps with a golfball but my chrony says 635fps(75psi) 8)
distance: i haven't been able to measure a golfball yet but with a nerf minivortex i would guess i get about 300 yards at 80psi :twisted:
i used the same chamber design as MrCrowley's golfball gun but i made a separate valve design for this cannon
without further ado i present to you my pride and joy
http://www.seehere.com/spudtyrrant/my_golfball_gun/

Last edited by spudtyrrant on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: kiwi of nitro » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Looks awesome, any pictures of the piston's innards?

kiwi of nitro
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:15 pm

no not yet but i will get some i don't want to ruin anything by accident before i take it to school tomorrow

edit: its my freshmen year were doing pressure to volume laws and i thought this would be a perfect project

Last edited by spudtyrrant on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: kiwi of nitro » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Oh right, thats what I'm doing too, it's my sophomore year, I'm building a few for a physics and tech class.

kiwi of nitro
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: daniel323 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:35 pm

nice.. looks comfortable to hold for a big cannon

daniel323
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: King_TaTer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Ahhh, now I see what the "Hey MrCrowley" thread was for. Looks pretty good, Way better that Crowley's. :o Ha ha no I'm only kidding, but your is almost as pretty. Just needs a paint job I think.

Pretty good performance I'd say too. Got any plywood lying around?

Materials links:
<a href="http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/">Discount Hydraulic Hose</a>
<a href="http://www.buyfittingswholesale.com/#">Buy fittings wholesale</a>
<a href="http://www.flexpvc.com/">Flex PVC</a>
<a href="http://www.murrayequipment.com">MEI
</a>
King_TaTer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:00 pm

King_TaTer wrote:Ahhh, now I see what the "Hey MrCrowley" thread was for. Looks pretty good, Way better that Crowley's. :o Ha ha no I'm only kidding, but your is almost as pretty. Just needs a paint job I think.

Pretty good performance I'd say too. Got any plywood lying around?

its got a paintjob lol it used to be white. yes yes i do have some plywood around "holy plywood" if you know what i mean

spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 pm

Absolutely beautiful job mate. I love it the valve set up, it looks so neat.

Not many people can give Crowley a run for his money :D.

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: 2 inch piston cannon comment please

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:33 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:specs:
valve:barrel sealing piston
operating pressure:10-120psi
piston: 2 inch solid pvc piston
power:ggdt says 400 fps with a golfball but my chrony says 635fps 8)

What is the valve orifice (barrel opening) size?

I have seen shooting chronographs error when mist , wadding or other higher speed stuff triggers it. If you can borrow a high speed camera or use a wire break chronograph, you should be able to confirm the speed.

A wire break chronograph can be assembled with a sound card to use Audacity to time the wire breaks to get transit time.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 pm

"What is the valve orifice (barrel opening) size?

I have seen shooting chronographs error when mist , wadding or other higher speed stuff triggers it. If you can borrow a high speed camera or use a wire break chronograph, you should be able to confirm the speed.

A wire break chronograph can be assembled with a sound card to use Audacity to time the wire breaks to get transit time"

the porting is 1.5" it was built in a 2 inch tee i just shot another shot through my chrony and got 615fps i am using sdr21 i don't need wadding and have no mist

spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:58 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:"What is the valve orifice (barrel opening) size?

A wire break chronograph can be assembled with a sound card to use Audacity to time the wire breaks to get transit time"

the porting is 1.5" it was built in a 2 inch tee i just shot another shot through my chrony and got 615fps i am using sdr21 i don't need wadding and have no mist

I would believe the chronograph. In testing air cannons, I have found larger bore cannons seem to get better FPS. Using a 2 inch valve and a 2.5 inch barrel got an apple to 882 FPS for me under 100 PSI. My 1 inch marshmallow cannon is only getting 600 FPS with the 1 inch barrel and marshmallows. I hope to get the barrel trimmed for best speed soon.

I am not familiar with ggdt. What is it?
:?

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 pm

"I am not familiar with ggdt. What is it?"

ggdt is the gas gun design tool it is used for designing air powered(or other inert gas) cannons it tells you the predicted fps and ft/lbs and gives you other useful info

edit:if any of you want to share pictures with no ads seehere.com is a really good website :D

spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:18 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:
"I am not familiar with ggdt. What is it?"

ggdt is the gas gun design tool it is used for designing air powered(or other inert gas) cannons it tells you the predicted fps and ft/lbs and gives you other useful info

edit:if any of you want to share pictures with no ads seehere.com is a really good website :D

Thanks. I didn't see ggdt in a quick Google search. Where can it be found? Is it free or open source?

Even better than a photo is a good high speed video. We clocked an apple at 882 FPS and then shot this. The measure in the background was to verify the launch speed until someone left a water bottle in the path. :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLJzwO2DNAg[/youtube]
The video is from a 2 inch quick dump valve cannon using a 2.5 inch barrel. We used ~80 PSI. My thread on spudfiles explains how the valve works.

Many of my photos are in the forum under projects on http://www.crazybuilders.com. Their forum permits posting photos, sounds, etc. Some of my other photos are on wikispaces.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm

nice cannon i see you have a workshop. i wish i had my own workshop but alas i am a 15 year old lol maybe when i am older i'll have one comparable but that is a long way off lol

spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: daberno123 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 pm

@Technician1002
Here is the wiki link for the page on GGDT. You can download it off D_Hall's site. There's a link in the article to his site.

@spudtyrrant
Very nice gun, I'm also a fan of Crowley's launchers, especially that pilot setup. However, I don't see how GGDT managed to get so far off. Would you mind posting a screenshot of how you entered it into GGDT? I'd trust a chrony over GGDT but...
If you only got that reading once on the chrony, it could easily be a false one. My chrony has sometimes given me erroneous results when I was too close to the chrony or had bad lighting. A difference of over 200 fps is a BIG margin. Of course, if you've consistently gotten results near that then there must be something wrong in how you defined it in GGDT.

daberno123
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database