Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My portable pneumatic

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My portable pneumatic

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:06 pm

This is my portable pneumatic,it is full of DWV and I am well aware of it.This cannon has a shreader and Co2 adapter. It has a 1" sprinkler very ergonomic handgrip.

Attachments
portable.jpg
This it with the .75 barrel.
new 004.jpg
side view
irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:43 pm

:shock: Great job on the gun mate but you better be very, very careful with the pressure you put into it. I can see you put a hell of a lot of work into but the risk is just a bit too high.

Damn shame though...

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:49 pm

I handle it with kid gloves and operate at less than 60 psi.

irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:56 pm

It's still extremely dangerous though. Your playing with fire there mate... I just hope you don't get too badly burnt.

DWV is reasonable in a combustion because there is a small pressure spike on ignition but it can't handle sustained pressure in this application.

Your choice though. Get ready for a slamming by other spudders. We like to do things as safe as possible so another silly kid doesn't do things wrong, get himself killed and then give the people who do things by the book a bad name.

(that silly kid remark wasn't directed at you. Just in general).

Bah sorry about the double post. I thought I clicked edit...

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: grock » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:26 pm

nice cannon, mitch is right, some of the other guys might give you some crap for the dwv parts, but as long as you keep it at lower pressures, its fine. i really like how ergo it looks though. does anyone know if you can get presure rated wyes? (i think thats what the curvy T thing is)

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: rp181 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 pm

OMG! DWV!

no really, just because its not pressure rated doesn't mean that it can't handle pressure.... (I am not supporting anyone here)

Thats a funky chamber design. If those were Tee's rather than wyes, it would look much better.

rp181
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Calling all plumbers

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:15 pm

rp181 wrote:OMG! DWV!

no really, just because its not pressure rated doesn't mean that it can't handle pressure.... (I am not supporting anyone here)

Thats a funky chamber design. If those were Tee's rather than wyes, it would look much better.

DWV even though not pressure rated is pressure tested for leaks. Is there a plumber in the house who knows what pressure this stuff is tested to? As far as a sustained pressure, I've seen test plugs in place for up to a week and systems under test pressure.

:( I wish I looked at the test gage when they were testing.

ABS DWV should be good for the test pressure what ever that is.

I have tested 4 inch cellular core DWV at 85 PSI.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Calling all plumbers

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 am

I am a framer, but I work around a lot of plumbers (I just scored a bunch of 2 inch copper fittings from a crew the other day when I told them what I wanted to do with them :P ). The plumbers pressure test their plumbing when they are done to check for leaks. The dial always reads between 20 and 40 psi. They use almost nothing but dwv.

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:56 pm

There is no such plumber but remote testing has put my mind at ease.

irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Nice looks but I wouldnt bet my balls on DWV really. Stay safe mate

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 pm

god all the people so afraid of DWV, jeez, I have used 1 1/2 abs DWV to over 125 psi, and one day when I get my fridge compressor ready, stupid pressure hose, quick connects and compression fittings

then I will test it to bursting, but for now I trust it.

Back to your gun, the layout is fantastic, actually that is a very VERY ergonomic looking gun, I would just take the sprinkler off, shorten the front bit and make an advanced combustion out of it, that would be sweet.

I think if I get some money, I might consider recreating that as a combustion, (assuming I can convince my parents to let me build one, once I give them the statistics they should crack)

Great gun mate, really, I bookmarked it :wink:

Add me on MSN to chat about whatever!
sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Because it's bloody dangerous that's why. Just because you've never had a problem with it, does not mean in any way that it won't blow. I don't even know why it's worth taking the risk...

Sput, making a combustion out of it is a great idea. DWV is great in a combustion application if used in the right way but in a pneumatic, it's just a bit too touchy.

Everyone is their own person and will do what they wish to no matter what anyone says.

I just hope you stay safe mate. :)

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:57 pm

I appreciate the comments and hope everyone realizes that I am not an ignorant fool who will attract bad reputation for the hobby.This design was more of a proof of concept and my latter cannons have been pressure rated.

irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:58 pm

@Mitchza

I really do not want to do the whole DWV argument that happens unavoidably on every cannon made of DWV, the gun is made, he knows he used DWV, he is using safe pressures. let's leave it at that.

Add me on MSN to chat about whatever!
sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:14 pm

sputnick wrote:@Mitchza

I really do not want to do the whole DWV argument that happens unavoidably on every cannon made of DWV, the gun is made, he knows he used DWV, he is using safe pressures. let's leave it at that.

Agreed, I tested this personally as I wanted to see if ABS was good to use for barrels. My test unit failed to burst even though I put the fill in the side to create a weak spot. I tested to 85 PSI, then used it every year at a church camp to launch apples at up to 65 PSI. This is my first quick dump valve cannon, now 7 years old and still working. It gets a new pressure test every year.

***Edit*** This has out lived 3 PVC quick exhaust valve cannons that have failed. For lower pressure ABS DWV appears to be much more shatter resistant and it doesn't gernade when it fails. :D

I don't use PVC anymore for compressed air storage. I don't like the failure mode. :shock:

Attachments
ABS_Apple_Cannon.png
ABS DWV Pressure test cannon
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database