Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

ABS Cellular Core test cannon

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
ABS Cellular Core test cannon

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:38 pm

This is my first Quick Dump Valve cannon. It was built to test the failure of ABS DWV non pressure rated pipe as it is often used in combustion cannons. I had built a few PVC air cannons prior to this unit and due to the brittleness of PVC and several failures, I built this to see if ABS could work as a replacement for PVC. The cannon is now 7 years old and my oldest functional air cannon.

It is made with;
1 2 inch barrel
1 4 inch chamber
2 4 inch couplers
2 4 to 2 inch reducers
1 2 inch female threaded adaptor
1 2 inch threaded plug
2 1 inch PVC slip on pipe caps
1-1/2 inch PVC pipe
2 o rings
1 fill valve
1 lawnmower starter cord
1 screw eye bolt
1 golf ball
1 Poof foam Football

In assembly, the barrel had rectangular ports cut into the side next to where the rear reducer is located. and then assembled into the chamber barrel assembly with a fill valve stuck in the side to create a weak point of failure. In assembling the barrel end, the end became stuck and I didn't get it pushed all the way together. Now I have two possible points of failure to watch. It is now more dangerous than I originally planned. :(

:!: :!: :!: :!: As always, it is not a good idea to use non pressure rated pipe for air cannons. Test your materials safely.:!: :!: :!: :!:

To seal the barrel a valve core was needed. Having worked with PVC before I made it from PVC. The core is easier to make than it looks. It is made from 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe, 2 1 inch PVC slip on pipe caps, and 2 O rings.

To make this core, the PVC pipe was heated and shoved onto a pipe cap. The cap was removed and a 1/4 inch was cut off the end. The ring was glued on the pipe cap, followed by an o ring and the pipe again. Making the o ring groove was that easy. The process was repeated for the other end of the piston. A hole was drilled for the rope. Added a couple flattened pieces of PVC for washers and the foam core from a foam football was used for a bumper. To finish the end cap was drilled for the trigger lanyard and the golf ball added to finish it off.

On the steel upgrade in the back, I stuck to a golf ball trigger.

Knowing ABS tends to split out the side when it fails, I stood behind it and filled it to 85 PSI. It held. After several fantastic shots I took it with me to a church camp where they have apple trees. Using fallen apples it is used every year at up to 65 PSI after the annual 85-90 PSI test. This is my oldest functional air cannon that has outlived several PVC cannons that cracked, developed leaky joints, or plain failed.

This cannon has a typical range of 525 feet with fallen apples and has split a 2X6 8 feet long.

Due to the bulk of the chamber, this cannon is a very poor single person hand held, but it makes great mortar shots. Load it, stand it on end, step on the rope between the cannon and golf ball, grab the blue trim and lift.

:shock: Never ever load one of these while under pressure. Loading does the same thing to the core that pulling the rope does. :shock: :!: :!:

Attachments
AppleCannon.JPG
The ABS Apple Cannon
Note the end didn't get pushed in all the way. It didn't leak or fail.
AppleCannonParts2.JPG
ABS Test cannon parts. Note ABS DWV Cellular core construction
ValvePorts1.JPG
View of the valve ports before the chamber was installed. A plastic bag is stuffed inside for the photo before the chamber is installed
CoreDetail.JPG
Core detail All PVC and o rings. It leaks a little due to the saw cuts. Needed the ends polished before assembly. Live and learn.
CoreDetail.JPG (38.33 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
RIMG0053.JPG
Here is a board hit with an apple from the ABS cannon.
Last edited by Technician1002 on Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Looks good.
So you have been using this for seven years? Oh man this cannon surely did its job!
Very wise of you to pressure test it every year.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:15 pm

psycix wrote:Looks good.
So you have been using this for seven years? Oh man this cannon surely did its job!
Very wise of you to pressure test it every year.

With liability issues at the camp, this is a given. It has proven safer than PVC so far at low pressure. Even with abuse of being stepped on, and dropped, it has not cracked or shattered.

When pressure testing I stand behind it off to the side to stay out of the way of a split chamber or failed piston valve. The bumper and cap is removed in pressure testing to leak check.

***Edit*** Took and added pressure test photo for 2009

With the requirement to step on the rope and hold the blue ring to fire, the barrel is way over head so there are no close range shots as the breech remains close to the ground.

***Edit*** added cropped pressure test photo

Attachments
Fire.jpg
With the foot on the rope and holding the blue ring, the barrel is overhead. Just lift to fire.
Pressure test.jpg
Pressure Test 2009.
The core leaks a little due to the saw cut o ring grooves, so the 85 PSI test pressure bled to just over 80 by the time I grabbed the camera.

I gotta make a new valve core for this.
Pressure test1.jpg
Close up of the gauge.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: PinHead » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:52 pm

So, the big question is, since "It was built to test the failure of ABS DWV non pressure rated pipe"... when are you going to blow it up? :wink:

PinHead
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:15 am

PinHead wrote:So, the big question is, since "It was built to test the failure of ABS DWV non pressure rated pipe"... when are you going to blow it up? :wink:

Good question. My test pump only goes to 100. The cannon has been there a couple times. I was expecting a safer lower pressure failure. Over 100 PSI is scary for this size chamber. :shock: This cannon that was built to fail, has failed to fail.

I'll blow it up when it fails it's annual pressure test. In the meantime, it's a great apple launcher. I'm collecting abuse, durability data. It's been dropped a few times, once on the valve. The end of the stem is flattened a little, but still works. :D It has taken abuse that kills my PVC cannons.

I found a photo of an ABS barrel that split. It did not shatter. This pic is from an Oxygen Propane cannon. PVC would have shattered.
This image is from this site;
http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/cannon/my_cannon.html

Another abused ABS cannon is this one. It is a spray and pray with pure Oxygen added to the mix. This could produce lethal shrapnel in a PVC cannon.
I don't recommend this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGdK1YeuQw[/youtube]

Last edited by Technician1002 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 pm

PVC = plastiglass

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:25 pm

so according to this, abs is better than pvc at say 40-50 psi? i would never have thought that

covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 pm

covey12 wrote:so according to this, abs is better than pvc at say 40-50 psi? i would never have thought that

Since I expected it to blow up at under 100 PSI, I wasn't expecting it either. It's nice it lived. My first QDV still works. :D

Edit, added 2010 pressure test. Yes it still works.

Testing all 3 QDV Cannons

30 Minute pressure test from 85-100 PSI

Damage from a 2 inch piece of 1 inch EMT electrical conduit.

Attachments
2010e.jpg
Close-up of the gauges
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 pm

It's dusty up in this thread! When's the last time you fired the ABS cannon??

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:51 am

Last year.. The campout is next weekend. Been using the newer ones instead.

A few issues with my car have taken some of my time. Replaced a Hybrid battery pack in a 2002 Prius, then had a semi truck change lanes into me on the freeway.

Located another Prius to put the new battery into. Just finished changing it and am in the process of registration. Still need to install my compressor inverter in the new car. Photos later.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Blitz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 am

Oh that's just fantastic. Sounds like lots of fun.

:roll: :D

Well, at least you're alright.

Blitz
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 am

Technician1002 wrote:A few issues with my car have taken some of my time. Replaced a Hybrid battery pack in a 2002 Prius, then had a semi truck change lanes into me on the freeway.

Obviously not driven by an environmentalist... glad you came out of it unscathed.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:13 am

The short story on the car is changed the battery on the 12th of July. $2300 part..

I was in the middle lane overtaking a semi. He swerved into my lane without signalling. I avoided him initially but I was being overtaken by a 1991 Toyota Pickup. Broke my driver door mirror and dented my fender and door, but his bumper caught my rear wheel well and spun me clockwise.. Lovely going down the freeway sideways.... Remember the semi changing lanes..

I was about turned 120 degrees so facing part way back down the freeway and caught the back of the trailer with my drivers side hood, headlight, fender.. tore it up back to the fusebox... This spun me back around straight with the freeway, so both bumps were turns, not hard crashes.. Bumpy ride, no windows broken or airbags deployed. Regained control and pulled off the road.

No bruises or sore muscles.

Due to the high mileage and age of the car, repairs exceeded pre loss condition value.. It was a write off.

The car was a 2002 with just over 170,000 miles. It has been very low maintenance, still running on the original brakes, and all original light bulbs. First major repair was the battery replacement..

Insurance salvage value was only ~$900. I bought the salvage to keep my rims and hybrid battery to put in another car and sold the remainder for $800.. bought a 2003 of the same model with 130,000 miles and swapped out the battery packs. Using the rims to mount my snow tires.

After I install the inverter, it will be my air cannon field power again.

This silver/light blue car is no more. Replaced by a white one. RIP

The most funny irony is I bought the new battery pack to last the life of the car.. It did.. All two weeks of it.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:03 am

Glad you got out of that one unscathed. Surprising especially since you were in a Prius.

I always thought inverters weren't strong enough for shop compressors due to higher amp draw during start up...

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 am

Many inverters have relatively high surge capacity, some do not.

Some do 100% of rating only.
Some do about 120%
and Some do about 200% for up to a minute. Read the literature.

None will do high surge if the battery cables are not heavy enough. I used Welding cables and limited the length. A supercap would help too.

Another option is to use a lower capacity compressor such as a nailer compressor at only 1/3 to 1/5th hp. :roll: They will run where 2 HP and larger won't start.

My Inverter car has been damaged. Bummer. The upside. Replaced it with a newer model. Seems a semi truck wanted my spot on the freeway.
Photo of the damage. Mirror was broken by hitting the pickup next to me, relatively minor damage. The semi crossed my hood and fender. You can see the path through the hood, engine compartment, and out over the fender.

Attachments
CIMG3279a.JPG
My poor headllight
Last edited by Technician1002 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database