Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: anello, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

.378 cal 400 psi mod

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
.378 cal 400 psi mod

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 am

Update: Yo, pictures

Modded shock pump, gun and quick disconnect to schrader adapter for filling. Shock pump is wayyy too slow.

Fake silencer. Polished, and the ends are knurled. Looks nice.

Needs a paintjob

Entry wounds

:shock:

Well, you all of course remember the uber QEV rifle which could blast a q-tip through both sides of a coke can..and make it explode from hydrostatic shock.

Well today I had an old soda stream bottle come into my possession..

So I had some aluminum laying around with a 9.6mm i.d. (.378) so I decided to completely redo the gun.

The power is.. :shock:

I've still got to get 000 lead shot for it (9.55mm) and make a magazine after that..but anyways. It's only been used at 115-120 psi which is needless to say, not at it's full potential. When I finish my homemade pump (just need an o-ring) or buy a new track pump I'll but some more beef into it. Perhaps..400 psi :twisted: . The shock pump is really too much of a workout.

I've mainly been shooting 2" long nails- which don't really have the best flight characteristics. There must be a physics law saying no, but they seem to like to go sideways a lot. They'll shoot the nail sideways through a milk bottle full of water (2" tear entry/exit) and even worse on a coke can. The nails go through either side of a peach tin (same build as a soup tin)..

I've uploaded the photos the photobucket, but it's being a 'tard and failing. I'll put them up soon

Last edited by inonickname on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: .378 cal 400 psi mod

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:52 am

inonickname wrote:I've mainly been shooting 2" long nails- which don't really have the best flight characteristics. There must be a physics law saying no, but they seem to like to go sideways a lot.

As an unstabilised long projectile, this is only natural. You can cut off the head and wrap tape around the rear, or hammer the head flat so it will act as a fin.

Photobucket not working for me either.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:31 am

I remember that I could improve stability of nails by grinding them down (to shift the center of mass more to the front) while keeping the nails heads as they were...

wow 9.5mm I've been thinking of switching to this caliber as it offers good power while it is still rather small enough so the launcher is lighter and smaller

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 am

There's no light in this gun, the soda stream bottles are all tested to 3700 psi and are made of steel so they're not incredibly light.

However, compact? definitely. This gun can be broken down to a length of about 80cm, and will fit in a backpack.

I really have to find an o-ring for the pump I'm making and put 400 psi into it. No where near buff enough to do it with a shock pump.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 am

still I suppose they must be lighter than an iron pipe chamber of the same volume
and if it is of the right size you might consider using it as a nice stock

anyway what I meant is that 9.5mm caliber is still quite powerful while being rather small which means that you can use lighter barrel and use less air per shot

what is more, marble launchers are rather big and bulky... I mean they are not exactly rifle-sized... ammo for them is either to light (marbles) or to heavy and expensive (lead)

I've been thinking of switching to this caliber for quite a long time... I've been tinkering with GGDT to find and optimal caliber and every time I found out that 9.5mm is more less ideal as far as power/size,price and ammo availability ratio is concerned

so I am interested to see how large is the launcher and how well it performs... please post some pics of it as well as damage pics when you finish

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:13 am

Pictures are up.

The sticker is annoying. I'm going to find a way to remove it, sand the chamber smooth and paint it. Then re-do the fittings in flat black.

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:26 am

nice...
judging form the chamber size there is a lot of workout involved in pumping it :D

If I were you I would check in GGDT whether it makes any sense to use such a largish volume... I suppose that you don't need more than 70 ccm chamber volume... how big is the chamber ? 500 ccm or more ?

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 am

Looking good :)

I've been thinking of switching to this caliber for quite a long time... I've been tinkering with GGDT to find and optimal caliber and every time I found out that 9.5mm is more less ideal as far as power/size,price and ammo availability ratio is concerned

perfect for 9mm bullets with a duct tape tail ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 am

000 leadshot = win.. I'll have to live with 00 until I can get some.

I don't pump it, I use a compressor. I will pump it when I get a new track pump/finish my hi pressure pump.

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:37 am

Can you not get remington/ramset/paslode fasteners in your country???

Fin stabilized nails... I've referenced them several times before,they're friggin awesome...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:50 am

Yep. I'll have a look through the draws tomorrow and see if we have any.

I'm contemplating adding my 15.5mm rifled barrel, but I'm unsure if it's a good idea seen as the porting is a little low for that size..

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:14 am

Well, after making a new round i decided to fire at a coke bottle. Half full of water, pumped to 120 psi. The stainless steel round caused failure to propagate through the bottle like syphillis.

Glad I wore earmuffs :roll:

What remains of my valve cap

Failure near the neck

Accordinto bystanders, it was $%^%ing loud (bystanders were half a K away)

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Mateo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:25 pm

did you make that qev?

Mateo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Mateo wrote:did you make that qev?

No, it's a bellpro QEV I ordered online.

By the way, this gun is no more..

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/the-det ... 18754.html

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database