Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Finally a big (relatively) pneumatic

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Finally a big (relatively) pneumatic

Unread postAuthor: jor2daje » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Well I got tired of using the macro on my camera :wink: so I decided to do something a little bigger that brass penguns.

Its a barrel sealing piston valve built in a 2 inch tee with 1.5 inch porting. My piston is a 1.25 inch coupling with two rubber tiles as my sealing face. Its piloted by my old .75 inch sprinkler valve. It has a 2 inch chamber and a 2.5 inch barrel, perfect for firing tennis balls. This makes the c:b wrong so I might slightly cut down the barrel.

I know there are quite a few unnecessary fittings but I wanted to make a removable piston valve so I can use it on different cannons. I build the whole cannon for $25 reusing several parts from old guns like the sprinkler valve.

So far I have only fired tennis balls at around 60 psi, that will go up soon. This gun was built more for flinging tennis balls a long way and less for damage, however I may try it out on some plywood just for fun.

Im going to paint it tomorrow, planning on doing some white and blue with my airbrush.

Attachments
thewholegun666.jpg
down the barrel 666.jpg
pilot 666.jpg
My pilot setup with old sprinkler valve and primer stains.
bumper 666.jpg
This is my bumper Im quite proud of, I made it from two pieces of the bumper that goes on the corner of shopping carts.
piston 666.jpg
piston made of 1.25" coupler wrapped in tape and some rubber tiles.
jor2daje
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: glass_05 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:41 am

nice looking cannon. very clean looking piston and good work on the bumper. very clever to use parts from a shopping cart.

[url="http://www.airhardhq.com/"]Airhard HQ[/url]
glass_05
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 am

Barrel too big is only Dependant on pressure. Higher pressure stores more air than low pressure. As a test I tried going extreme. A 7 foot TB barrel on a little 54 cu in tank. At below 50 PSI it fails to launch. At 110 PSI it launches very well. The expansion is about perfect for almost silent launches with good hang time. Listen to it. The valve is louder than the muzzle blast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTXomfdLTE[/youtube]

Attachments
Tennis ball barrel2.jpg
Small tank, huge barrel. Success at 110 PSI. Almost silent launches with good range.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database