Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

The détruisezier

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
The détruisezier

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:56 am

It's complete :twisted: the 400 psi, 15.5mm rifled erm..gun.

Barrel: 15.5mm x 1.2m, 1:30 rifling (ammo; wadded marbles)
Chamber: 15.5mm x 80cm
Operating pressure: 120-400 psi
Valve: QEV (will upgrade to a slightly larger valve when I get the time, porting is restricted by perhaps 2mm- RAWR POWER NAZI)
Ported by a blowgun, QD fill (internal check valve built in)
Semi-bullpup configuration
Muzzle loading- unfortunately the fitting I use is about 1.5mm too small I.D. to load a marble. I'm going to have to say it's quicker than unthreading an adapter anyway..

I'm giving it until tomorrow for the epoxy to completely and fully 100% set up well before I do any high pressure testing, but I've blasted a few marbles and there is definite power. Plus with the riflings you might actually hit your target!

This afternoon or tomorrow morning I'm heading up to the tip to get a fridge compressor (GF environment) seen as I'm getting lazier and lazier with pumping.

Construction is mostly aluminum, with some brass and stainless. One of the brass fittings for some odd reason is at a slight angle, so the chamber ends up meeting with the barrel which turned out to work quite nicely.

When I get the fridge compressor/hand pump going I'll brew up some sodium hydroxide and aluminum and use hydrogen. Accordinto GGDT with a light projectile I'll go well past mach, which is cool I guess.

I felt like getting the good camera out to justify how good this thing looks, so here we go:

With our MIG for scale

Yum

Looking down the bore, you can see the start of the riflings

Muaha...

I got an old printer to shoot at, so expect damage soon..MUAHA

Last edited by inonickname on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: qwerty » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:36 am

why shoot marbles when youve got a rifled barrel use a bullet or something like that if you have acces to them :twisted: what fps do you think you are getting (im guessing very high).

cant wait for some damage pics.

Qwerty.

I visit occasionally to make unrelated posts.
qwerty
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:16 am

Marbles are a little annoying due to their tendency to..bounce. I'm going to do more searching and see what will fit in my barrel.

As a measure of awesome, here's a shot that hit a coke can full of water..

Lol, look how it dented and deformed at the top..

Current target, bouncy marbles for the lose.

It has go to it at 120 psi, can't wait to see what 400 will do (unless anyone wants to come to WA and pump it up with my shock pump). Sooo going to the tip and ripping a fridge apart tomorrow

Edit: Wtf is that, I've exceeded the amount of spudbux I can earn in a day?

Edit: :evil:

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:55 am

inonickname wrote:Wtf is that, I've exceeded the amount of spudbux I can earn in a day?

Happens to me almost every day :roll:

Nice work, I would have attached the blowgun directly to the valve and actuated the trigger with a rod, but you seem to have power to spare so a bit of extra pilot volume doesn't hurt ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:01 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
inonickname wrote:Wtf is that, I've exceeded the amount of spudbux I can earn in a day?

Happens to me almost every day :roll:

Nice work, I would have attached the blowgun directly to the valve and actuated the trigger with a rod, but you seem to have power to spare so a bit of extra pilot volume doesn't hurt ;)

It's also a more convenient location to fill from. And anyway, I had to use the braided stainless hose I had laying around. By the way, the hose doesn't actually have a very large I.D. as it is.

edit: Any ideas on forming a nice handle around the blowgun? I wanted to use polymorph, though I don't know if I can get any..

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:06 am

cut up a cheap airsoft/water pistol and smooth out with bondo?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:32 am

Looks nice, reminds me of Chaos' S400 (I think it was). Don't need to tell you i'm eagerly awaiting the 400psi damage video.

BTW, try fishing sinkers. 1oz (nominal diameter 1", isn't even close to 1" though) fishing sinkers fit in a paintball barrel, so about 17mm I think it was, so try maybe a 3/4" or 5/8" sinker.

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:07 am

Edit: Video. Is extremely dark, basically only useful for the report I suppose
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqwlRISVC1w[/youtube]

Sort of I guess, mainly the hose.. (perhaps it's the retarded cousin of the S400?)

I added some iron sights from a .22 LR (it has a scope anyway).

Edit: I've uploaded a YT vid, currently processing. Way too dark to see much at all, but the report is very audible (turn your sound up)

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:01 am

Looks good! Good idea on the iron sights as well.

Can't wait to see some daylight video. :)

EDIT: As for ammo, as qwerty has said, why shoot marbles?

The real benefit of the rifling will come with more massive cylindrical rounds.

I have a type of ammo I am working on for my upcoming rifled cannon that shoots frangible lead rounds. Basically they are heavy lead or tungsten shot (probably #00 or #3, depending on whatever's cheapest) bound by a softer epoxy in the diameter of the lands in the barrel (type M pipe). Still looking into the epoxy, as it has to cure relatively soft to be rifled by a copper barrel.

EDIT II: Aesthetic suggestions... sleeve the hose clamps in black tubing, and depending on how solid the barrel and chamber are in relation to each other, add a spacer to the front.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:21 am

They are would be there even without the clamp, any more of a spacer wouldn't work and would create stress.

I have my eyes on a 4x20 scope..

By the way, isn't #3 shot tiny, with 000 being around 9.6mm? #3 is birdshot or ratshot I think, unless your on about something else

Will do with the pipe, I'll see what I have around

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:30 am

#3 is 6.35mm or almost exactly 1/4". I could actually use much smaller to increase density, but I'd like the shot to actually do something to the target once it separates from the slug. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: frozebyte » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:33 am

So your 15.5mm is the ID of the barrel and it fits wadded marbles?
Too bad mine's a 15mm OD, too small for marbles :(

Nice gun anyway :D

frozebyte
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:36 am

nice gun... I am sure you'll be more than happy with its performance at 400 psi but don't forget that you can use a smaller chamber

do you still want to convert it to a semi auto gun ? if you do then stick to marbles.. but if you don't then switching to heavier ammo is a good idea

as I said in the other thread.. marbles are good as ammo but they do have their limitations if you want to get the best possible power switch to lead or cylindrical ammo...

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: twizi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:22 am

wow what a beuty i wish i had one great build

twizi
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks guys :)

Poland, I don't mind the chamber size. I realize that at 400 psi I could probably divide it by 3 and still get similar performance, though I don't mind seen as it's a compressor doing the work, not me :lol:

Ahh you were talking buckshot sizes..

If I can get some, these sound good:
TriBall (12 Ga.) <5> .60 (15.24 mm ) 3/4 ounce per pellet

Yeh the wadded marbles are good. I cut up a plastic bag (wow, you'd think I hate the environment) into squares for use as wad. Marbles are slightly inconsistent so using a wad gives the best performance.

When I go up to 400 psi I'll shoot a 4" long saboted stainless steel dart... It's been waiting for this occasion

Poland, the semi will be a completely different gun (nerf). I'll have basically every part machined from stock, so I'll be able to get it exactly how I want it :twisted:

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database