Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Coxial rifle

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jmadden91 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:12 pm

See my above edit :roll:

jmadden91
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: tghhs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 pm

I have, and *sigh* my thread has been clogged up with pointless bickering, just trying to share my creation.

tghhs
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Even something like this glued on the end of the chamber may help retain the barrel. Drill the plug for the barrel and use a threaded female adapter for additional strength with a pip plug instead of the weak clean out cap.

I have, and *sigh* my thread has been clogged up with pointless bickering, just trying to share my creation.

Sorry, most have their hearts in the right place and are trying to help you be successful instead of having another blew apart launcher. We are not trying to laugh and rip your work to shreds. It is not our intent if that is how it appears. I like the design, but having one blow the chamber one way and the barrel the other while you are filling it is the concern. The sport is dangerous. Compressed air has a lot of energy. A cannon going off unexpectedly can cause all kinds of grief.

For your amusement, here is an example. This is why it is not recommended to put a pizeo lighter in the very breech.

It's funny to watch, but the injuries could have and may have been lifelong.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JoeqJgoFPE[/youtube]

Attachments
Cleanout.jpg
Cleanout may reduce the chance of the plug from blowing out. It has threads.
Plug1.jpg
A schedule 40 plug is stronger than a clean out.
Plug1.jpg (3.52 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Golfball sleeve.jpg
Using the right glue even an ABS fitting should be stronger than the clamp. Use the proper transition glue to connect ABS and PVC.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:05 am

I like the gun mate, very clean build :). A lot of the guys who have commented on your gun have been around for a long time and generally know what they are on about. It's best to take what they say into consideration and not to heart. Don't let what they say get to you, It's just merely for your own safety.

With what you said about about keeping the gun glue-less so it's easier to repair, the screws would be a great idea. Just 4 or 5 right in font of the plug to prevent a blow out. It's just a nice simple little safety precaution.

I look forward to more builds from you,

Mitch.

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:29 am

tghhs wrote:I have, and *sigh* my thread has been clogged up with pointless bickering, just trying to share my creation.

The discussion of semantics is irrelevant, but the safety advice is for your own good :)

A small relevant anectdote, once I was using a 1 metre long brass rod as a ram-rod to muzzle load projectiles into this beast, I had a friend over and at one point we couldn't find it any more. Frig it, we decided, let's fire anyway, and the ramrod which it turns out we had left in the barrel emerged with considerable haste and impaled the target and embedded itself into the wall behind it.

Point is, you don't want to risk your barrel doing the same at an unpredictable moment.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: tghhs » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:44 am

technician1002 wrote:Sorry, most have their hearts in the right place and are trying to help you be successful instead of having another blew apart launcher. We are not trying to laugh and rip your work to shreds. It is not our intent if that is how it appears. I like the design, but having one blow the chamber one way and the barrel the other while you are filling it is the concern. The sport is dangerous. Compressed air has a lot of energy. A cannon going off unexpectedly can cause all kinds of grief.

I absolutely take considerable consideration about the advice thats given, i was just getting frustrated with pointless non-constructive pedantic-ness that served no purpose.

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:The discussion of semantics is irrelevant, but the safety advice is for your own good

yeh something like that.

Mitchza89 wrote:With what you said about about keeping the gun glue-less so it's easier to repair, the screws would be a great idea. Just 4 or 5 right in font of the plug to prevent a blow out. It's just a nice simple little safety precaution.

I think this will probaly be what i'll do, but i'll make a wood plug to screw into :)

Thank you for looking out for me so i dont blow my head off :P

tghhs
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 am

tghhs wrote:Thank you for looking out for me so i dont blow my head off :P

It's not that we personally care about your safety, we just don't want another frog boy giving spudding a bad name :P

*ahem*

Just kidding, be safe :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database