Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Airsoft Claymore

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Airsoft Claymore

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm

A few friends and I started to get back into airsoft, and since I haven't built many launchers lately I decided to tackle a claymore. It turned out much better than I expected, although it's not much to look at. I haven't painted the whole thing yet, but I plan on painting it all black. I forgot to take pictures of them, but I made a few stakes to hold it in place and keep it from falling over when it is triggered.

It uses fairly low pressure so that it doesn't hurt anyone. I have not chrono'd it yet, but I'm expecting it to shoot around 100-150 FPS.

The valve is a 1/4" QEV.
The QEV is piloted by a safety relief valve, which is pulled by a string. One end of the string is attached to the pop-off valve, and the other end can be tied to a stake in the ground so that it is held over a path where enemy team members are expected to walk.
The string is tied to a cotter pin so that when the string is pulled hard it will pilot the QEV, but at the same time it will disconnect from the pop-off so that it doesn't trip anyone or pull the claymore out of the ground.
There are 19 barrels, all pointed in slightly different directions.

It works a lot better than I expected it to, but there are still a few changes that need to be made. As I mentioned earlier it needs paint. I will also replace the white string with fishing line so that it is harder to see.

Attachments
phpygLbkUPM.jpg
The whole thing.
phpGLsNQjPM.jpg
All of the barrels.
phpPNt0ytPM.jpg
The QEV with the pop-off as the pilot.
phpfJ3JEdPM.jpg
The pilot assembly.
Last edited by potatoflinger on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 pm

haha excellent, looks like a pain to reload though :) with a bit of paint it will be hard to spot in a woodland setting.

Did you try firing it at a few sheets of cardboard to see the spread?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:34 pm

I shot it a few times in my basement, and the spread was pretty decent. It is a 90* angle from the far left barrel to the far right barrel, so it should be more than enough. I'll have to find some cardboard and check it out though.

It's not too bad to reload, just drop a few pellets in each barrel and then fill it with air again.

It is much easier to reload than the other design I tested which used a spring loaded spike to puncture a burst disc.

I will put up videos of it in action as soon as I buy some batteries for my video camera. (Not aimed at you Mr.Crowley :lol: )

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:02 pm

This is one strange looking mine. I like it!! :D

My biggest concern is the tripwire. Number 1, it is too low to the ground. It should sit 3 to 4 inches from the ground to have the best effect. Number 2, it may need to be pulled a little harder than what you would want in order to trigger it. This may lead to persons falling over and getting hurt. I know you said that it is designed so that the string will slide off, but it will still take a little bit more pressure to do.*

A safety shouldn't be that hard to implement. You could probably just slide a cotter pin into the popoff valve in between the spring.

For more range, try angling the barrels a little.

Also, have you considered adding more than one tripwire? You could connect them along a path in a V shape. I know doing this in paintball seems to be more effective.

*I have an idea on how to work out the tripwire so that it is higher off the ground, takes less pressure to activate, and slips off the trigger assembly easier. Add a lever to it. Place a connecting bar under the valve and connect the lever to it. Run the lever up, going towards the barrels and through the ring. Diagram is below:

Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (3.7 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 pm

Do you load one BB per barrel or do you fill it up? Filling each barrel completely will reduce the velocity, so by using higher pressure you can put a lot more plastic on target while keeping BB speeds at safe levels.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:36 pm

The pop-off valve is very easy to trigger, and it only gets easier at higher pressures. It is designed to open by itself at 125 PSI, so opening it at 100 is no problem at all. I have triggered it myself walking and running to make sure that the cord is not a hazard and to make sure that the velocity is fairly low, and before I could really even feel the trip wire the mine had gone off and the wire had disconnected.

The trip wire can be tied off at a higher position than it is attached at the mine, so over a small path most of it is around 8 inches off the ground. The lever system is a very good idea, although I really want to keep it simple/small to keep it from being too noticeable.

The mine can be tilted back to angle the barrels up, which keeps the bbs from rolling out of the barrels and gives it a little bit more range.

I am currently using two or three bbs per barrel, and that seems to have a good balance of power and amount of bbs shot. If I start using more than three bbs in each barrel I will have to buy a new pop-off valve so that I can use slightly higher pressures.

I also tested the spread today. This piece of paper is about 5 feet wide. The mine was set up about 3 feet away from the paper. The shot was with two bbs per barrel @100 PSI.

Attachments
phpTLukEwPM.jpg
It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Well, then. Looks like you have yourself a very nice airsoft mine. The only thing left for me to advise is the V shaped tripwire, to provide even more coverage.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:00 pm

As soon as I seen the barrel arrangement it reminded me of a Popeye cartoon battleship, nice! You need at least 2 loads per barrel and duel trip lines is a great idea. Nice work!!!! :D

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Hubb wrote:Well, then. Looks like you have yourself a very nice airsoft mine. The only thing left for me to advise is the V shaped tripwire, to provide even more coverage.

I guess I forgot to include that in my other post. I really like the idea of using the two trip wires.

Should I have one tripwire in line with the far left barrel and the other lined up with the far right barrel, or should I have them both slightly inside the coverage zone?

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:19 pm

When I first looked at it, I thought it operated like a cloud bbmg with multiple barrels... I wonder if such a system would be more effective than individually loading the barrels? Would probably require too much air to be practical though.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Insomniac wrote:When I first looked at it, I thought it operated like a cloud bbmg with multiple barrels... I wonder if such a system would be more effective than individually loading the barrels? Would probably require too much air to be practical though.

That would be my guess. It would also be less consistent and reliable, as you would never really know which barrels the bbs were going to come out of.

It might be worth trying though.

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 am

If it were some sort of sentry gun then a BBMG would be ideal, but as a mine the point is to cover a wide area in an instant so the current configuration seems to be spot on.

One is almost tempted to build one in smaller calibre at much higher pressure as an overkill mousetrap :idea: :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:44 am

potatoflinger wrote:
Hubb wrote:Well, then. Looks like you have yourself a very nice airsoft mine. The only thing left for me to advise is the V shaped tripwire, to provide even more coverage.

I guess I forgot to include that in my other post. I really like the idea of using the two trip wires.

Should I have one tripwire in line with the far left barrel and the other lined up with the far right barrel, or should I have them both slightly inside the coverage zone?

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:05 am

Wow Hubb, I really like that idea. That is definitely something I will try to set up next time I use this thing.

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 am

And here's how I determine the length of the string needed for the tripwire:
- I set the mine off at least three times to get an average maximum distance. I only plan on using 90% of this average distance to ensure that I get a 'kill' if the tripwire is hit.
- I measure straight out, from the mine, this distance and place a mark. At a right angle, I measure this same distance and place another mark (the second mark should be at a 45 degree angle to the mine). I repeat for the opposite side of the first mark.
- With the lengths of two sides, I use Pythagorean Theorem (or measure, whatever - I like math...)to determine the distance between the last mark and the mine.
- I add up the lengths, and that is the length of my tripline for V configuration.

Example: I receive an average maximum distance of 10 feet, therefore, I measure 9 feet (90% of 10) out perpendicular from the mine. At the end of this point, I go 9 feet in both directions and place two more points. I use math to determine the final lengths, so 9^2 + 9^2 = 162; SQRT162 = 12.72. This leaves me with 18 + 12.72 + 12.72 = 43.44 feet needed for tripwire.

Attachments
untitledwire.JPG
Diagram should help with numbers.
untitledwire.JPG (9.35 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Last edited by Hubb on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database