Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 80 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 77 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

burst disk pistol

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
burst disk pistol

Unread postAuthor: sp1ke » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:48 pm

I am currently working on a burst disk pistol (actually I am modifying this gun http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/flintlock-pistol-t15736.html and taking Davidvaini's advice on adding a burst disk to increase performance) and had a few questions

First i was thinking that I should use a shader valve for pressurizing it so that I could make it portable but didn't know if having a small chamber volume would make it too difficult to pump and if my small chamber would work.

I also was wondering if I was using a burst disk that popped at around 60psi would increasing the pressure beyond that increase the power? or should you only increase the pressure in order to pop a stronger disk.

Here is a pic of my pistol

as you can see the burst disk is in between the 1/2" pvc barrel and the male adapter. I have been using a few sheets of aluminum foil for my burst disks, is there a cheap material that would work better?

I do plan on making it look more appealing and increase its power

any tips are GREATLY appriciated

Attachments
01A.JPG

sp1ke
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Personally I love using aluminum foil. Cheap, easily obtained, and form fits without too much precutting.

We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glow worm.

~Winston Churchill~
SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Marffy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:04 am

If you use a higher pressure then the burst disk will pop at then you will get more power but you are gonna wanna keep the bursting pressure close to the pressure in the chamber. other then that the whole gun looks great. try bumping up the pressure since you have a metal chamber. go to 250psi. I think your valve can take it because its a 1/2" ball valve and u'll get tones more power with more psi. try getting you hands on a co2 setup and pump the gun to its max. keep up the good work on this. its got a lot of potential. :)

"Hard work has a future pay-off. Laziness pays off now."
Marffy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 am

personally I like foil tape for covering heating vents and what not.. thicker than aluminum, but just as easy to put on.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 am

Marffy wrote:try bumping up the pressure since you have a metal chamber. go to 250psi

At least, on small projects like this pressure is the key to decent power. A bicycle shock pump fits a schrader valve and will happily take your small chamber to 400 psi in a short time, the construction can take it so I would suggest ramping it up ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: sp1ke » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:06 am

thanks for all the advice. keep it coming!

this weekend I hope on getting a shrader valve, hp bike pump, and start working on making it look like this

http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/images/pirateFL_600.jpg

sp1ke
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database