Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Grib's New Pnuematic & Ammo

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Grib's New Pnuematic & Ammo

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Hey Guys, It's been a while since I've built a cannon mainly for the lack of decent ammo. I came across something that I thought I could use and actually found some PCV that would fit it perfectly.

The Ammo:

White Labs Liquid Brewers Yeast Vial (1 litre soda bottle blanks)
Modified with a self tapping screw in the nose, extruded polystyrene foam for shock absorption, I will add a tail for flight stability later.

The Barrel:

I found that The Ammo fits perfectly into a 1" PVC 1120 pipe rated for 200psi, but the pipe wall it very thin, but the pipe sleeves perfectly into an 1-1/4" Sch 40 pipe. I cut the barrel to a length of 32" from the adapter sleeve.

The Valve:

The valve is a 1" Irritol that I pulled off of my old 1" Dia. Chamber that is modded with a Blow Gun release.

The Chamber:

Since I had to buy the 1-1/4" pipe to sleeve the barrel with, I decided to make the chamber out of the same pipe. I had originally planned on using 1-1/2", but I didn't feel like spending another 5 bucks on more pipe. The chamber goes back from the valve a couple inches into a set of 45 degree elbows to drop the stock down, then another ten inches into two 90 degree elbows and then back up to a cap. I am planning on attaching a flexible hose coming off of the chamber to a quick coupler which will get hooked up to the air compressor hose.

Edit:
Ok I finished the chamber assy. and got everything glued together. I still have yet to go out to my shop and get the valve off of my other gun, but at least I have already done the work on that.

Attachments
SSPX0549.jpg
The Layout of the chamber
SSPX0545.jpg
The end of the barrel showing the difference in pipe thickness with the sleeving.
SSPX0546.jpg
Barrel attachment point to the valve. The adapter is solvent welded onto the 1" pipe with the 1-1/4" butted up to it.
SSPX0548.jpg
The vial after some modification. A screw through the nose into the foam for impact absorbtion so that I will hopefully be able to get more than one shot. A stabilizing tail will also be added.
SSPX0547.jpg
The vial, a 1 litre soda bottle blank.
SSPX0550.jpg
Completed Gluing, now I need to install the gauge, quick connector hose, and valve.
Last edited by BigGrib on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:09 pm

found some PCV that would fit it perfectly.

Hmmmm....I've never heared of this kind of pipe. Is it some sort of new kevlar alloy or something? :D Just messing with you, I know what you mean! :D :D :D
Looks nice, I'm looking forward to pics of the complete gun and damage pics, etc.

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 pm

I remember testing those preforms, having to find one from each of the 48 moulds (printed around the neck) from a box of 8000 was a pain in the arse :roll:

I used one as a BB hopper here.

If you have a good supply of them, you should consider semi or full auto, they would feed well from a magazine.

Also ideal for a "valveless" launcher like this one if you want something radical with good performance.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:49 pm

I would love to do something with a semi-auto, it would just be a matter of building the parts to make the mag and all that.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database