Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 4 registered, 1 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My First Pneumatic - Mortar

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My First Pneumatic - Mortar

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 pm

This is the first pneumatic cannon I have built and bothered to post on spudfiles. I built one rather ghetto design with the chamber and firing mechanism on this before as a rifle-style cannon, but that was deconstructed and upgraded to build this for a school-related project to shoot ping-pong balls. It exceeded expectations.

Valve: Tee piston valve- 3/4" piloted by 1/2" ball valve, seals to 1/2" street elbow inside bushing- notes below on valve
Chamber: 3/4" 18" galvanized steel
Barrel: 1-1/2" 24" aluminium

I know the C:B ratio on this is absolutely terrible, but that's not really the focus of this cannon. It's a mortar, not a cannon. In a few days the barrel and attachment to the firing mechanism will be decommissioned in favor of a 3/8" barrel.

Notes on tee piston valve: I constructed a rather creative piston in the hopes that I could create a design that would work on a piston hybrid. Well, it could but I won't be using it. It works because it does in fact seal to the inside of the 3/4" brass nipple it sits inside of while sealed to the barrel. It does NOT work because after firing at about 100+ psi., it slams back into the 3/4"-1/2" adapter with such force so as to lodge itself firmly inside, requiring a lot of force with a pair of pliers to remove it for the next shot. I do know that the piston is sealing to the inside of the nipple because when I add more pressure to the chamber the pressure gauge jumps, then settles back down to a more reasonable increase, as the air forces its way past the neoprene washer. The advantage to this? The pilot volume is absolute. No pressure is lost from the chamber when I pilot the valve.

Because of this, ear protection is strongly recommended when firing. The first few shots left my ears ringing, but I learned my lesson quickly.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, but please none criticizing my C:B ratio.

Damage pics may follow, but are rather hard to acquire.

EDIT: If you have suggestions on cushioning the piston as it moves back, please suggest.

Edit by MrCrowley: Your previous title had the impression that your cannon was the first pneumatic cannon on Spudfiles. Just wanted to remove the confusion. Thanks.

Doh! Sorry.

Last edited by saefroch on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: deathbyDWV » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Looks good. I'm not sure about the piston cushion.

Maybe a regular washer and then a rubber washer on top of that to cushion it some... Since it looks like the the back of the bolt would gave to go through it...

Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
deathbyDWV
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm a little iffy on whether or not that would do anything... but if I use a hammer to drive them into the adapter they might solve my problem. I'll see if I can get it apart and try that out, thanks. Can't hurt to try.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: deathbyDWV » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm

The only problem is whether they will fit past the big theads and not be small enough to fall out the back...

Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
deathbyDWV
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database