Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

.50" QEV gun *New stock, almost finished*

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: zy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:25 am

spudtyrrant wrote: you could always go with fishing sinkers :wink:


Hmm good idea, but the price is a little bit overkill for me :? .
  • 0


zy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:34 am

there has to be a fishing shop some where near you :roll:
  • 0

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
User avatar
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:14 am
Location: australia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: zy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:39 am

-_- wrote:there has to be a fishing shop some where near you :roll:


Absolutely :) . Still, the price is overkill. 0.45 Euro/bullet, that`s insane.
(If I got the price right? 10 sinkers for 4.5 euro?)
  • 0


zy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:13 am

zy wrote:Absolutely :) . Still, the price is overkill. 0.45 Euro/bullet, that`s insane.
(If I got the price right? 10 sinkers for 4.5 euro?)
you could ask Joergs where he gets his steel balls, i'm not sure if the price is in your range tho, but they would be reusable if you could find them
  • 0

I ♥ ♣'in baby seals
User avatar
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:32 am

Go here and click on "muzzleloading bullets" - no 0.50" lead balls but you can get 0.44" inner/0.50" outer plastic sabots for £0.09 each and 0.44" lead balls for £0.15 each, the plastic sabots will probably be reusable and will allow you to shoot practically anything that fits in them.

These are in the UK, I don't know if they will export to your corner of Europe but muzzleloading/black power is a fairly common hobby so these supplies should not be hard to come by locally.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: zy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:19 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Go here and click on "muzzleloading bullets" - no 0.50" lead balls but you can get 0.44" inner/0.50" outer plastic sabots for £0.09 each and 0.44" lead balls for £0.15 each, the plastic sabots will probably be reusable and will allow you to shoot practically anything that fits in them.

These are in the UK, I don't know if they will export to your corner of Europe but muzzleloading/black power is a fairly common hobby so these supplies should not be hard to come by locally.


Ahhh! Midway, did look through there products earlier but didnt think there was sabots for black powder guns! Smart idea, thanks for the tip!

Will probably order some of that ammo later. But the price is still on the high side; ~50 euros for 100 balls and 100 sabots at my place. But maybe this is as low as it gets?
  • 0


zy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:31 pm

You could always check your local gunshop, as I said it is fairly normal to find black powder reloading supplies and 0.50" is a common calibre for muzzle loaders.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: zy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Maybe I should mold own bullets?
  • 0

Attachments
lead bullet.JPG
11.4 grams
lead bullet.JPG (37.06 KiB) Viewed 937 times
entry hole.JPG
Test shot @ 23mm MDF
exit hole.JPG
Test shot @ 23mm MDF

zy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 pm

If you look at the time it takes to mould your own vs the results, I'm confident that spending some money on professionally made ammunition is worthwhile.

Why not steel balls? Available reasonably cheaply plus assuming you can find them, and you're not shooting them incredibly fast at hard targets, they can be re-used. Also, they are much better at penetrating hard targets than lead.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:23 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:If you look at the time it takes to mould your own vs the results, I'm confident that spending some money on professionally made ammunition is worthwhile.

Why not steel balls? Available reasonably cheaply plus assuming you can find them, and you're not shooting them incredibly fast at hard targets, they can be re-used. Also, they are much better at penetrating hard targets than lead.
Do I smell ricochet? :D steel balls are a great ammo source, but i was shooting 1/4 steel balls at 1/2 plywood, and the shot bounced off of my backstop(brick wall) and came back and hit me in the leg and cracked my shin bone.

Just as a word of warning which everyone should already know, ALWAYS be sure of your backstop and beyond, other wise you might be in a world of trouble if you break a window or god forbid, the shot comes back at you.
  • 0

Yeah, it's that important.
User avatar
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 am
Country: Antarctica (aq)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Mr.Sandman wrote:you might be in a world of trouble if you break a window or god forbid, the shot comes back at you.


*cough cough*

:roll: :wink:
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: zy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Hmmm, found these on Ebay

39+14$ for 202 1/2" steel balls. Thats not bad. But Im not so sure if I want those steel balls laying around my lawn. (I dont know why I accept lead more :P ).
  • 0


zy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: zy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Safety first! ...Shooting indoors... Not a good idea with powerful guns :?
  • 0


zy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am
Reputation: 0

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'