Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Basic Tennis Ball Cannon

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:09 am

I like the vapor :lol:
Nice video, nice gun.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Great stuff, love the tree shot :D

I second your need for a high speed camera :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I just had to comment on your hipfire skills :O You should belong to the mafia..

You should see the bruises! Pretty much every shot hurt with the soda can haha. Oh and the shot that missed and hit the dirt, that was my friend shooting, I swear :P

Other then that, is there any way you could get your hands on one of the Casio high speed camera series? I would love to see those soda can sabots exiting the barrel.

Birthday is a little over a month away, i'll hopefully be getting the Exilim FC100. I've already started writing a list (during boring Statistic lectures :D) of what I can film with it. Soda cans will definitely make some nice footage.

I don't use any soda can sabots by the way.

Great stuff, love the tree shot

I was telling my friend that I hope to hell it isn't a native species, probably could end up with a $10,000 fine haha.

Last edited by MrCrowley on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Awesome video.

I think I might build a combustion version of this launcher after watching that. Soda cans seem to be rather entertaining plinking ammo.

Also,

SpudFarm wrote:I just had to comment on your hipfire skills :O You should belong to the mafia..

:lol:

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:06 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:I think I might build a combustion version of this launcher after watching that. Soda cans seem to be rather entertaining plinking ammo.

Hybrid version, surely ;)

And great about the camera MrC, I'm confident you will come up with some very compelling footage before you shoot it :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:12 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Hybrid version, surely ;)

I thought about it, but a 3" bore hybrid firing 400g soda cans would produce some very serious recoil energy, which would make the launcher very uncomfortable to fire from a hand held position.

A combustion would be manageable, as well as somewhat more portable.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:13 pm

I think I might build a combustion version of this launcher after watching that. Soda cans seem to be rather entertaining plinking ammo.

After 15 shots yesterday with a crappy track pump in the middle of a muddy field, I wish it were a combustion :(

I'm confident you will come up with some very compelling footage before you shoot it

'Tis only inevitable :(

This is a very sad post :roll:

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:06 am

SpudBlaster15 wrote:A combustion would be manageable, as well as somewhat more portable.

Still quite a lot of recoil though, here was mine.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:38 am

SpudBlaster15 wrote:I'm seeing lots of the same generic designs we've had for years

Sorry man! :wink:

In all seriousness, I actually did consider not posting this cannon as it is pretty damn basic and I hate how it would get more attention than another cannon because I'm a moderator or have a big post count.
I know other senior members have addressed that such basic cannons shouldn't really be posted by members with numerous builds under their belts, but on the other hand, it can't hurt.

This place is sort of like an active archive and I wish I had this much information when I joined back in 2006. There aren't that many 2" sprinkler valved cannons (not that it matters) and by posting this it may save some newb from making a topic down the line (not that he'd search and find this topic anyway). The way I see it, the more (spud-related) information the better (as long as the information is well presented and factual).

May be our "senior" members need their own section (okay, this is the last time I will use brackets in this post). :)

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:57 am

MrCrowley wrote:In all seriousness, I actually did consider not posting this cannon as it is pretty damn basic and I hate how it would get more attention than another cannon because I'm a moderator or have a big post count.
I know other senior members have addressed that such basic cannons shouldn't really be posted by members with numerous builds under their belts, but on the other hand, it can't hurt.

It would have been a damn shame had you not posted it, I don't think there is any cannon that should not be posted - there is always something to learn, and someone to inspire.

The way I see it, the more (spud-related) information the better (as long as the information is well presented and factual).

Precisely :)

May be our "senior" members need their own section (okay, this is the last time I will use brackets in this post). :)

Again, I see nothing good coming out of being "elitist" if new blood is to be drawn into the hobby.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 am

that was my friend shooting, I swear

Hehe, If you haven't written "I swear" at the end I could belive you :P
(Sorry SB15, useless posting)

i'll hopefully be getting the Exilim FC100

That is a priceless piece of equipment for a spudder. You will have lots of fun and I will have the same fun watching your videos, I swear :)

I have been trying to fire lead slugs that have a 22mm hole down the back end with steel wool in them to get good videos with my hybrid but my fuel gauge (I think) is broken :( You could try that!

I suggest a 11kg propane tank with a 2m long 3" exhaust pipe in chrome as the barrel. Combustion of course.

Nothing bad comes from posting basic cannons. As you can see you inspired SB15 to build something new, and I consider making that 11kg propane tank/exhaust pipe combustion.
A side note to MrCrowley: The spell check isn't working in google chrome.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:48 am

I have been trying to fire lead slugs that have a 22mm hole down the back end with steel wool in them to get good videos with my hybrid but my fuel gauge (I think) is broken You could try that!

Yeah, i've been watching your videos closely. I may not always comment, but count on me seeing them. Loved your latest one. :)

As you can imagine, it is difficult to seal a 2" valve with a 1" pilot valve with a track pump, it is possible, but takes a lot of effort. The 1" valve starts honking for the first 15 or so pumps and then closes. I've replaced the spring in the 1" valve so it is stronger, this should help with sealing the valve, right?

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:56 am

As you can imagine, it is difficult to seal a 2" valve with a 1" pilot valve with a track pump, it is possible, but takes a lot of effort. The 1" valve starts honking for the first 15 or so pumps and then closes. I've replaced the spring in the 1" valve so it is stronger, this should help with sealing the valve, right?

The way I would solve that would be to have a small chamber on the "inlet" port that can be sealed off and pressureized seperate from the chamber. when you have it at 100psi or so you quicly let it into the chamber and continue pumping.

Yeah, i've been watching your videos closely. I may not always comment, but count on me seeing them. Loved your latest one. :)

I'll try to get new gauges tomorrow, but let's not hijack your thread with that.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:59 pm

MrCrowley wrote:
SpudBlaster15 wrote:I'm seeing lots of the same generic designs we've had for years

Sorry man! :wink:

Hey, I have zero issue with people posting basic cannons. They are great for simple entertainment, and I have built plenty of basic designs for the sole purpose of going out to a field somewhere and shooting stuff with friends. You made this cannon clean, compact, and I know you didn't skimp on any of the build processes. It's great.

Of course, it's always nice to see people offset these with more innovative designs, which you have done extensively throughout the course of your involvement in this hobby.

However, my concern is with the people who simply slap together generic cannon designs without doing proper research and truly understanding what they're doing. I won't be stating any names, but I've seen it perhaps a dozen times over the past few months, which is a startling increase from the old days when much higher build quality standards predominated.

In all seriousness, I actually did consider not posting this cannon as it is pretty damn basic and I hate how it would get more attention than another cannon because I'm a moderator or have a big post count.

It may be basic, but it's also well constructed, and the quality is a shining example of what new members should shoot for with their first basic launcher designs. I don't think there's any issues with posting it, especially since you have a very nicely put together video of the launcher. Anyone who uses Behemoth as the soundtrack in their video is awesome in my books. :wink:

This place is sort of like an active archive and I wish I had this much information when I joined back in 2006.

Agreed. The forum has come a long way since people like us joined, with most of this innovation and building occurring between 2007 and 2008.

May be our "senior" members need their own section

Not a bad idea. I've seen it on other forums, and in some cases it does work well. We would of course need some sort of screening system not simply based on post count or join date, but something could be worked out.

SpudFarm wrote:Hehe, If you haven't written "I swear" at the end I could belive you :P
(Sorry SB15, useless posting)

That part of your post may have been a little conversational in nature, but you followed it up with some good quality information and technical discussion. This is exactly the type of posting the forum should be based on IMO. A little bit of chatter to lighten the mood, but primarily informative content.

I suggest a 11kg propane tank with a 2m long 3" exhaust pipe in chrome as the barrel. Combustion of course.

Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into this when I decide it's time to build this thing.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Latest video: Facing tennis balls at 280kph in cricket gear and some more soda can shooting.

As for shooting tennis balls at 280kph (average velocity, not muzzle velocity) at people, we started out at low pressures and move up as were became comfortable with the speed. Also, at 280kph, a tennis ball will have the same energy as a cricket ball travelling 154kph. I don't play cricket anymore, but I used to face cricket balls travelling at 140kph (professional players bowl at up to 160kph) in practice nets all the time with the same gear as I used in this video, so it was pretty safe.

P.S - I'm wearing the brown shirt

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b8iXYAs0S0[/youtube]

MrCrowley

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database