Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Simple "Shotgun"

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Simple "Shotgun"

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:20 pm

I built this a few weeks ago for a Nerf tag scenario game called Humans Vs. Zombies. The nature of the game called for a "shotgun" type weapon to be used early on for eliminating a target. I threw this together in about 15 minutes and fired it only once in the game as expected... it performed its task flawlessly.

It's a brutally simple gun, really. The reservoir consists of a 3/4" brass ball valve with extended lever, an 8" length of 3/4" steel pipe, a 3/4" steel coupling, a 3/4" x 1/8" brass bushing, and an 1/8" NPT schrader valve. There are 7, 1/2" CPVC barrels lining the inner circumference of 2" sch40 PVC pipe and an 8th barrel in the center. The gaps are filled in with silicone. The 2" pipe is then adapted down to thread into the ball valve.

The whole thing was taped over with bright colored duct tape so that I could carry it around in the game area without any trouble.

The shotgun is filled using a 12 gram CO2 tire inflator (shown) but can also use a bike pump. It gets two fills from one cartridge.

Nothing impressive, I know, but a revisitation of the simple things can be good sometimes.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:25 pm

I wouldve done it with a burst disk for that loud shot gun bang, but if you like the BV keep it. I really love simply effective guns

I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Cool I like the idea, but it is a gas hog! I'd go with an onboard pump. Nice job!

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Nice.
It gets two fills from one cartridge.

How much psi is in the cartridge to begin with, and what pressure do you fire it at?

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the carts hold 800-1000 psi depending on the temperature at which they are stored.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:20 am

I imagine the actual firing pressure is much less considering only about half the cartridge's volume is used per shot, and that volume also expands inside the chamber. Without a gauge I really don't know.

I'll put this thing on eBay for $10 if someone wants to find out for themselves. :lol:

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database