Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Return of the LogSplitter Cannon NEW VID 10/16/2010

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Return of the LogSplitter Cannon NEW VID 10/16/2010

Unread postAuthor: Daltonultra » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:03 pm

The first incarnation of this cannon:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/new-guy ... 16540.html

The rebuild and reintroduction as the LogSplitter:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/the-log ... 17580.html

I haven't had the cannon out for a long time, but I finally pulled it out last weekend and put the 3" barrel on it. It fits regular veggie cans perfectly...myself and he family had some fun with it, blasting the snot out of an old PC tower my brother finally decided to toss out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8azZoyT4ZQ&hd=1[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4CliZFSk5k&hd=1[/youtube]

Last edited by Daltonultra on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Official High-Tech Redneck

"There is no such thing as overkill." ~Solomon Short
Daltonultra
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:20 pm

"an unfortunate colour".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

"My mind is going Dave..." :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed that ... Thanks! :D

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Hahaha, you guys are great... awsome job :lol:

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:49 pm

May recommend adding air after loading the corn? I add air just before pulling the trigger.

Great video. Love the hole in the case on the first shot.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Daltonultra » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Technician1002 wrote:May recommend adding air after loading the corn? I add air just before pulling the trigger.

Heh, I usually don't have to worry. The valve I use is very stable, and the pilot is a ball-valve, so unless the diaphragm in the valve fails, it won't discharge on it's own.
My brother, usually Mr. Gun-Safety-Nut, adds a certain element of chaos...

BTW, the reason I load the projectile last is because the stupid thing takes forever to fill from the little shop compressor I'm using. I'd rather not leave a can in there while the pressure is building, just in case some piece of debris clogs the pilot hole in the diaphragm, which COULD cause it to fire.

Daltonultra
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Great videos and great family :D

The valve I use is very stable, and the pilot is a ball-valve, so unless the diaphragm in the valve fails, it won't discharge on it's own.

To be honest accidental discharge is not *that* unlikely, and I did cringe a bit when you stuck your forearm in the muzzle loading the "buckshot" - the potential consequences of an accidental discharge at that point are too gory to contemplate.

Safety nazism aside, one suggestion for buckshot - since veggie cans fit so well, why not use an open empty one as a sabot? it will hold together much better than a flexible wad and impart a lot more energy to your projectiles ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:15 pm

I have to echo the safety concerns. Bear in mind, if loading is done before pressurizing and the cannon is pointed in a safe direction, an accidental firing is an annoyance, not a trip to the hospital.

Nonetheless, impressive videos.

As far as the circuit board in the computer staying intact, those things are surprisingly tough - I've seen some variants challenge aluminium sheet of similar thickness for ballistic resistance.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Daltonultra » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:04 pm

:lol:

Seriously, the safety Nazi-ism is appreciated, I know you guys look out for the members and I'm glad you do. I'll take your suggestions, actually. Looking at it, I guess loading the cans that way is a little bass-ackwards, isn't it?

The buckeye shot actually was loaded with the gun un-charged, for reasons other than safety concerns. That's why the video jumped while we were waiting. It also did have a wad behind it, a rather hefty paper cup that I think may have been designed as a jackstand...the paper was enormously thick, I probably could have stood on the thing. It sealed nicely into the barrel, unlike cans, that leave a small gap all around.

What I really need is a good HD video camera with a slow motion setting. That buckeye shot would have been pretty daggone impressive in slomo...

Daltonultra
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:03 am

kann dieses nicht berühren!

:D

Ragnarok wrote:As far as the circuit board in the computer staying intact, those things are surprisingly tough - I've seen some variants challenge aluminium sheet of similar thickness for ballistic resistance.

Yep, this thing would put airsoft BBs through sheet metal but they didn't even dent a circuit board...

Daltonultra wrote:It also did have a wad behind it, a rather hefty paper cup that I think may have been designed as a jackstand...the paper was enormously thick, I probably could have stood on the thing. It sealed nicely into the barrel, unlike cans, that leave a small gap all around.

Believe me, no matter how thick the paper would crumple, the forces unleashed in a large bore pneumatic are pretty dramatic. You can wrap a can in a ring of duct tape to compensate for the gap ;)

What I really need is a good HD video camera with a slow motion setting. That buckeye shot would have been pretty daggone impressive in slomo...

My thoughts exactly, have a look at the Casio Exlim series ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Daltonultra » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:59 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Believe me, no matter how thick the paper would crumple, the forces unleashed in a large bore pneumatic are pretty dramatic. You can wrap a can in a ring of duct tape to compensate for the gap ;)

Actually, I found the cup afterwards, in one piece. It was a little worse for the wear, but it still would have held water. I don't know what they thought people were going to drink out of those cups, maybe boiling lead or something, but they are THICK.

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:My thoughts exactly, have a look at the Casio Exlim series ;)

I've looked at the Casios before. When I get the cash, they're at the top of my list.

Daltonultra
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Daltonultra wrote:I don't know what they thought people were going to drink out of those cups, maybe boiling lead or something, but they are THICK.

Obligatory comment: "Yes, anyone who tries to drink boiling lead is pretty thick."

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Daltonultra » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:41 pm

BTW, I'm going to be investing in a keychain camera soon, one of those little 808s that are so popular with the R/C crowd. I figure if they can stand up to falling off an R/C plane from 500 feet onto pavement, they might stand a chance of surviving being launched in a cushioned tin can. For $20, I figure it's not such a loss if it doesn't make it.

Daltonultra
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:27 pm

I've got one, and I reakon it will survive. They're pretty tough but strong impacts seem to cause them to skip frames for some reason. You might have problems charging as well, as they don't indicate a full charge and mine wouldn't charge at all with the included cable. Just plug it in for an hour or so and stop, as they don't moniter the lipo either and they can puff if you leave them charging too long.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Daltonultra wrote:I'm going to be investing in a keychain camera soon, one of those little 808s that are so popular with the R/C crowd. I figure if they can stand up to falling off an R/C plane from 500 feet onto pavement, they might stand a chance of surviving being launched in a cushioned tin can. For $20, I figure it's not such a loss if it doesn't make it.

Some discussion on a similar themehere that you might find of interest ;)

Ragnarok wrote:"Yes, anyone who tries to drink boiling lead is pretty thick."

Let alone... :shock: :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Daltonultra » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Insomniac wrote:I've got one, and I reakon it will survive. They're pretty tough but strong impacts seem to cause them to skip frames for some reason. You might have problems charging as well, as they don't indicate a full charge and mine wouldn't charge at all with the included cable. Just plug it in for an hour or so and stop, as they don't moniter the lipo either and they can puff if you leave them charging too long.

Hmm, I might be able to solve the LiPO charging issue if I can find out what voltage and MaH rating it is. If they use a standard 3.7V rated cell, then I can charge it with the charger for my R/C truck.

Daltonultra
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database