Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Airsoft Sniper

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Airsoft Sniper

Unread postAuthor: ELJONTO » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 am

Hey all,

New to the community and since I've been occasionally on the forums from time to time to search for certain ways to do stuff, I thought that I'd make an account, and my first post will be to show you the Airsoft sniper I have just finished. I hope this is the correct area, the forum is 'pneumatic cannons showcase', and I know this isn't a canon as such but I figure this is the correct location? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've built a few airguns in the past, effective, but by and large still looking like crappy assortments of pipes and valves, so for this gun i tried to give it a somewhat more realistic appearance.

The total length of the gun is about 1m and weighs a few kg's. It has a metal bipod I made from various parts of one of those little things to help you hold stuff when you are soldering, and some metal pipe. It has quite a wide range of motion. I use a very small air reservoir (namely the pipe from the schrader valve to the ball valve), this is because I bought my inner-barrel online and it fits the airsoft pellet perfectly so using a lot of air per shot is somewhat redundant, by the time it has all expanded the pellet is already long gone :). Being small, the reservoir can be filled to high pressures, (it can take the pressure of co2), but the epoxies I use to keep the schrader valve in place would fail at probably about 600-700psi.

Since my gun is pressurized via a schrader valve, I can run it off air compressors, threaded co2 cartridges with an adapter, or hopefully with a shock pump (I have ordered one (400psi max) online, waiting for it to arrive, so i havn't tested it with a shock pump yet). I use an aircompressor (100psi) for testing, sight-zeroing etc, and will use the co2 or shock pump (hopefully) for skirmishing.

Loaded and ready to go:

After firing:

The body of the gun is made from a piece of New Guniea Rosewood I had leftover from a garden bench I made in my school Design and Technology class, the barrel casing is pvc (doesn't need to withdstand any significant pressure), the inner barrel I assume is aluminium (bought online), the air reservoir is copper pipe, connects to a brass elbow joint and into the 1/2 inch ball valve. To fire the gun, you need to tension the spring and hook the support over a metal rod protruding from the body of the gun (images below). As you pull the trigger, the spring support gets knocked off the metal rod and the spring snaps it back. The valve handle is conencted to the spring so that it opens very quickly (at the moment, it is connected with string until I can find some nice strong, thin cable).

Body pictures:

The large channel here was oringinally to hold a co2 canister, but I decided to change my design to accomodate for other way to pressurise the gun, so although most of the channel was used in the end to house the copper piping, a fair amount of putty was required =D

Top view

Closeup of trigger system

Co2 with adapter attached (turn yellow knob to pressurize, then close to seal it off)

Ammo sheath slid forward to put in ammo:

Well that's it :) hope you all like it, please leave any constructive critiscism you have, and feel free to ask any questions you want

~ELJONTO

RAWR:

ELJONTO
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:21 am

Very nice and complete, kudos. Reminds me of FighterAce's work :)

Once you get your shock pump you'll see the difference, it's a bit of a pain to pressurise but with the velocity you'll get you can stand off from your adversaries to the extent that they will give you time to pump it up :)

My one (and standard :roll:) gripe is the skinny barrel, you can easily sleeve it, gaining more rigidity and with a couple of ports drilled into the muzzle, it will absorb some of the muzzle crack and make you harder to spot. Just sayin' ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: ELJONTO » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:57 am

Never knew about the sleeve being able to absorb some of the muzzle crack with ports, i'll definitely check that out for my next gun- cheers

ELJONTO
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:07 am

ELJONTO wrote:Never knew about the sleeve being able to absorb some of the muzzle crack with ports, i'll definitely check that out for my next gun

By bleeding the propelling air into the sleeve through the ports, you're lowering the pressure before it exits the muzzle, thereby cutting down on noise. It is after all how suppressors work, and can be easily fitted to your current project.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Gaderelguitarist » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Great way to make an entrance to the forum!

I'm an advocate of hiding the pipes in wood and whatnot as well. Not sure what kind of tools you have access to, but that stock could use some contouring to take off some of the edge.

It's a shame your original plans for the Co2 cartridge didn't quite work. The psuedo magazine looks a little bulky without any real reason to it's size.

so many muchness
Gaderelguitarist
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Nice gun, where did you get the CO2 adapter by the way.

clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm

clemsonguy1125 wrote:Nice gun, where did you get the CO2 adapter by the way.

$15.99 posted on eBay ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: ELJONTO » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 am

Gaderelguitarist wrote:that stock could use some contouring to take off some of the edge.

The edges have been sanded back a little just to take off harshness when you hold it, but I could probably round it off more with sandpaper / dremel

Gaderelguitarist wrote:It's a shame your original plans for the Co2 cartridge didn't quite work. The psuedo magazine looks a little bulky without any real reason to it's size.

Yes, the mag size was really to accommodate the width needed for the co2 canister on the angle it was on (probably kept it a bit too bulky then anyway), but because of the changes there isn't any real reason for its size, but for my next gun i'll make sure I know exactly how i'm going to pressurize it before setting out haha

clemsonguy1125 wrote:Nice gun, where did you get the CO2 adapter by the way.

Cheers, yes they can be found on eBay or most bike stores (make sure you're not getting ripped off), there a few different kinds as well

ELJONTO
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:39 pm

@ Jack, who am I, chop liver? :lol:

ELJONTO!!!
Niice job on the rifle! Welcome :)

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Gun Freak wrote:who am I, chop liver?

It was the spring-loaded ball valve that made me single out FighterAce's example ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: ELJONTO » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am

Gun Freak wrote:Niice job on the rifle! Welcome :)

ELJONTO
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:It was the spring-loaded ball valve that made me single out FighterAce's example ;)

I see :wink:

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database