Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

First Airgun

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun May 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Looks good for an initial effort, my main criticisms are:

- far too much pilot volume, its probably similar to your chamber volume!

- a cheap slide valve or three way valve could have replaced both trigger and chamber refill ball valves, and made the design much more efficient and quicker to operate.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:39 am

I could have gone with a three way valve but I was being cheap as usual and just went for two ball valves. :roll:

As regards to the pilot volume I couldn't really think of a configuration where I could reduce it, the space between the joints and tee could of been reduced but I wouldn't be able to fit my hand comfortably round the trigger. :D

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon May 16, 2011 4:13 am

Alster370 wrote: but I wouldn't be able to fit my hand comfortably round the trigger. :D

... you could have attached the pilot ball valve directly to the QEV, then fitted an extension lever to the handle to act as a trigger.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Alster370 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:01 pm

I just realised when testing for leaks that I can use the pressure release on my pump as a pilot for my gun. It works very effectively, and instead of dumping all of the spare compressed air it only takes a quarter or so of the pressure away. So instead of refilling the secondary chamber , im only topping up the air which is stored in it. So could i say I have effectively reduced pilot volume by 75% in theory right?

On a sadder note, when testing the airgun with 0.12bb at 40psi , one bounced off several objects resulting in it making a very small but annoying crack on my lovely 23" acer monitor. :(

Alster370
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database