Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 47 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Large Object Launcher (LOL)

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Large Object Launcher (LOL)

Unread postAuthor: danielrowell » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Hey guys, here's some info about my new cannon. Damage pics are coming soon!

Design Objectives:
I wanted to build a cannon that could do just about everything, and do it well. I wanted it to be quite powerful for its size, yet simple and practical. It needed to be relatively quiet, less than 8 feet in total length, cost less than 100 dollars and had to be constructed using only simple tools.

After some thought, I decided to make my cannon convertible from one with a ball valve and Schrader, to one with a union and quick-disconnect. I’m pretty sure that I’ll be using the ball valve the most, since it’s quieter, safer, and has smoother recoil when used with large projectiles. However, every once in a while I get the opportunity to go to the 21 acre family farm, where I can utilize my cannon’s full power with burst disks.

Materials:
(All of the PVC is Genova pressure-rated Sch40)
    2" PVC pipe
    1.5" PVC pipe
    2x 2" 90 degree PVC elbows
    2" PVC threaded adapter
    2" x 1.5" PVC threaded bushing
    2" PVC threaded plug
    1.5" PVC threaded adapter
    American Value 1.5" ball valve
    American Value 1.5" PVC Union (rated up to 150 psi)
    2x 1.5" galvanized steel nipples
    Victor Metal Tubeless tire valve (rated up to 150 psi)
    2x 6" stainless steel hose clamps
    Grip liner (to hold the barrel braces in place)
    1" x 3" board

P.S. I'm rather new to using forums, so my post might be a bit strange-looking.

Last edited by danielrowell on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
danielrowell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Thats a nice, clean launcher you got there, but why not put the BV behind the union? You could then choose whether or not to use a disk, but it would be much more powerful with the disk in.

Last edited by Lockednloaded on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: danielrowell » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:51 pm

I thought about that. I can put another steel nipple between the ball valve and the union if I want to use it in that configuration. :)

danielrowell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:39 pm

That is one clean build. Did you use primer? I would add a pressure gauge, other than that, very nice!! I love the name, L O L ! :wav:

Last edited by mattyzip77 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: danielrowell » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks for the complements guys! I used clear primer and I didn't add a gauge because I'm going to equalize the pressure in my compressor (which has a guage) and my cannon.

danielrowell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: pneumaticcannons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:39 am

clean build, you should make a barrel that utilizes a burst disk puncturing mechanism so that when you're in the right place for burst disks, you can attach the barrel and have a burst disk launcher with a trigger :twisted:

pneumaticcannons
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:57 am

should give some decent power with a burst disk, needs some amusing decoration though:

Attachments
spudlol.png
spudlol.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: danielrowell » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:02 pm

you should make a barrel that utilizes a burst disk puncturing mechanism

Any suggestions on doing this? I couldn't much in the How-To and pneumatic discussion sections.

danielrowell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 am

danielrowell wrote:Any suggestions on doing this? I couldn't much in the How-To and pneumatic discussion sections.

A triggered burst disk is pretty well explained in the wiki: http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... burst_disk

You need two unions, a tee and some sort momentary firing valve like a blowgun.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: pneumaticcannons » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:28 am

Any suggestions on doing this? I couldn't much in the How-To and pneumatic discussion sections.

I've tried the resistance heating and the mechanical puncture but never the double burst disk one... Way to complicated. The resistance heating worked the best for me. I drilled 2 tiny holes in the union(right on top of the burst disk) then ran a wire through(I don't now wat type) well you know how to do the rest. Make sure to use a relatively strong wire and not too much current becaue you don't want to replace the wire every time you fire

pneumaticcannons
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:04 am

pneumaticcannons wrote:

I've tried the resistance heating and the mechanical puncture but never the double burst disk one... Way to complicated. The resistance heating worked the best for me. I drilled 2 tiny holes in the union(right on top of the burst disk) then ran a wire through(I don't now wat type) well you know how to do the rest. Make sure to use a relatively strong wire and not too much current becaue you don't want to replace the wire every time you fire

This is a good example of how to make a simple cascading burst disc launcher.

They are so simple, even the wiki says so

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Zeus
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: danielrowell » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks again guys! I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to building and designing cannons, so your expertise is greatly appreciated. :D

I think I might try the resistance heating idea, as it will cut down on the reloading time somewhat.

On a side note, my next project is going to be a good bit more ambitious, but it will give me some experience in making pistons and will result in a more unique cannon. It's probably going to be a golfball-launching coaxial, fired bazooka-style, with a barrel-sealing piston and qev pilot valve. :)

danielrowell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: danielrowell » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:26 pm

UPDATE: PYKRETE ROUNDS

After a bit of thinking, I came up with the idea of using pykrete for ammo. I thought my idea was rather original, but learned a few minutes later that, of course, it's already been discussed on this forum. :(

I don't have any damage pics of these rounds yet, but after molding and testing a round using paper towels as the reinforcing medium, I have concluded that these rounds are very well-suited for use as PC ammo. They're cheap, biodegradable, retain their integrity when launched out of powerful cannons, transfer almost all of their energy into the target, and can be easily molded to fit any cannon. The only problem is that they take some time to make.

For those of you who don't know what pykrete is, by definition, it's a frozen material made up of 14% wood pulp and 86% water by weight that has properties more like concrete than ice. However, I found that cotton makes a very good substitute for wood pulp and I'm currently testing to see how it compares. Expect damage pics soon.

NOTE: Choose your targets carefully when using pykrete projectiles. If the round doesn't penetrate the target or hit it head on, there's a good chance that it will ricochet. Yes, it's that tough. :shock:

danielrowell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database