Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 46 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jimmy101, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

First pneumatic, 2" piston valve

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: boyce123 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:56 pm

There is definatly a delay since i put the sanding drum on it (as it is much shorter than i designed the pilot for), but the delay in the video i think is from the ball valve opening relativly slowly. The added pilot volume will eventually be accounted for with a longer piston, but the sanding drum is working reliably enough to keep it for now.

boyce123
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:57 pm

I would find a better ammo than spuds! Get some sdr21 1 1/2 inch pipe and shoot some golfballs dude. Also your sealing face is plenty thick enough, you need to add a washer the same size behind it. I have gotten a bicycle innertube to seal on a barrel sealer of the same size. good luck!

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: boyce123 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 pm

i don't really prefer golf balls (as they ricochet really easily and have a higher potential of hitting something that shouldn't be hit), but i still use them alot, especially for distance shots. If i want to do damage to something, i make a wood plug and sometimes add a big lag bolt to make it more of a penetrating round.

I just got the brackets finished, i'm trying to find a camera to get some pics of it.

EDIT: found my camera, but the batteries were dead, so it'll be a while...

boyce123
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:34 am

wheres that sprinkler valve? :D :D

jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:42 pm

So you did try the sanding drum I see. did u use a seperete neoprene washer as a sealing face with a steel washer behind it? If not try that and also put a washer on the back of the drum with a nut and bolt. Adjust the drum and lube it so it slides freely. When its set perfectly epoxy the front and rear of the bolt. I have the exact same setup as you and mine works awesome. I can even set mine up as semi if I want. If you need help or have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck..

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: boyce123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:28 pm

sorry jsefcik... i will get pics tonight, i'm on my lunch break now and i work all day...

I am just using the face of the sanding drum, it works great the way it is (with lots o lube)

boyce123
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:16 pm

This is the reason why your spuds will not load down the barrel. There is air leaking through the drum and out the barrel. Doing as I instructed will correct the leak and also boost your performance. A qev piloting that will as well. The drum is adjustable, reason for bolt and washers. It will expand as you tighten it which is why this works so well as a piston....

Last edited by mattyzip77 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:20 pm

boyce123 wrote:sorry jsefcik... i will get pics tonight, i'm on my lunch break now and i work all day...

I am just using the face of the sanding drum, it works great the way it is (with lots o lube)

its ok im only busting chops!!!

lots of lube is nice lol

jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: boyce123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm

i know that the piston expands, it was relatively loose in the pipe before i expanded it out to the size were it seemed to perform best. The spuds aren't loading because the piston is sealing to well to the 'riding' surface, it only leaks through on higher pressures, as with filling (i load after the chamber is pressurized, so there isn't a leak into the barrel, the sanding drum seals great all the time... another reason i've decided to keep it)

boyce123
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:00 pm

What are you using for a bumper?

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: boyce123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 pm

... well... i haven't been able to find any foam that doesn't shoot straight into the sprinkler valve on the first shot (even through the 1/2 in hole in a rubber washer in the back) so i've just been using a few layers of rubber washer, the sanding drum is also rubber so it kind of provides itself as its own bumper, but that also will eventually tear the drum up really fast. i'll have to glue some foam to a piece of rubber to keep it from shooting into the valve. the drum looks to be holding unexpectidly well to the abuse, and might not even need a new bumper, has anyone had a drum wear out?

Here are the belated pics of the complete gun (besides paint... i still have to paint it, any suggestions on colors, i'm thinking black). I actually like the palm operated blow gun, it seems to be more comfortable on a larger gun (i cut the index finger loop off and ground it smooth to make it fit my large hands...) I made the blow gun bracket with intentions of making it shoulder fired, its not to heavy, but recoil makes a pretty fun gun to shoot.

The sprinkler valve (provided by jsefcik)

anyone have suggestions on how to make a cleaner spud cutter

boyce123
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Is that chewing gum holding the schrader valve in place?? I would use a half tennis ball for a bumper. The 2 inch femele adapter will eventually break if. you dont add a bumper. Not bad for a first cannon, however that is the most ghetto sprinkler valve set up I think I have ever seen!! :D @ Jsefcik what in the good lords name did you do to that poor sprinkler valve? Did you have your eyes open when you modded it? :shock: :shock:

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: boyce123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 pm

ask jsefcik what that is, he is the one that modded the valve ( i added the cap because a small leak was forming as 130 psi, so i then had to add a longer nipple to make it fit, hence making it appear more ghetto :wink: ) the tennis ball is a good idea, i'll try it tomarrow morning.

boyce123
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Jessie nice gumjob!!!! On the next cannon you build use a qev rather than a sprinkler valve. They are the same price and need no modification. Also I have the same sprinkler valve I use to test my cannons with hovever I have a 1/4 ball valve tapped where the schrader is with a male quick connect fitting on the end of it. Alot faster to fill and just overall better I M O. Not too shabby at all for a first attempt. Search gunfreaks superna golf ball cannon for an idea of what the tennis ball should look like. He also has a good how to on you tube but goes by the name techwizzy on there. Have fun and be safe!

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:31 pm

wowowowow relax, that is a the only thing i did to that valve was add a schrader valve to the side and put jb weld so i know i had no leaks, where the blowgun went unisomind did,so its not all my fault, unisonmind, did the taping where the blowgun goes in not me!

he gave a sprinkler valve cause he had an extra one

and instead of that cap i would have covered it over with jb weld

but doesnt that hose decrease performance ? i was told when i used hose it would

jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database